Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the forum and am a 61 year old happily married teacher. Living in Meriden, Connecticut, I have the fortunate circumstance of three rail travel options: Amtrak, CT Rail, and Metro North. In fact, I joke with my daughter who lives in Milford that it's easy for her to get her train-liking dad to come and help with stuff because I'm always a sucker for a train ride (which is a lot more fun than battling traffic!).
You are so lucky to have those three rail options! And on this forum you'll discover that you aren't the only one who's a 'always a sucker for a train ride!'

BTW my first train ride was sponsored by the New York Central for 2nd graders in Schenectady elementary schools... back in 1954. They did quite a sell job on me!

Hello. I'm an early 40's woman living in the heart of apple country in Washington. I did a solo Rail Pass trip in July - nearly three weeks and 6,940 miles later, and I am definitely hooked! Empire Builder, Lincoln Service, Missouri River Runner, Southwest Chief, a screwed up, patchwork version of the Coast Starlight, and then Empire Builder back home. Next year I have mentally planned on the actual version of the Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, California Zephyr, and Cascades (finally!) I can actually get to my native Iowa this time, without having to settle for La Crosse. My first trip was with my husband, but I really liked traveling alone - as I told people who asked me about my trip this summer: "I'm going, and he's staying, and we're both very happy about that." 😁

Hi everybody, I'm glad to have found this forum here! I have read some posts of highly experienced users knowing a lot about passenger rail, freight rail etc.

I'm an interested newcomer. My name is Pascal Pfister and I'm from Switzerland. My country is sometimes named to have the best passenger railway network in the World. You can discover most parts of my small country by train. Frequencies are that high that on most of the lines there are connections in each direction every single hour (except for the night - overnight trains are relatively few). Delays of trains are very uncommon in Switzerland.

As I got a closer look at maps, I realized that many towns and cities in the US and Canada were built along railway lines. The old city centres are often located along existing or former railway lines.

I would like to pay a visit to the United States for the first time in the future. Obviously, I'm forced to fly from Europe. But after arrival in the US I want to move around the country only by passenger rail. As I started planning potential trips I realised connections in most parts of the US are scarce or don't even exist. Although the railway network in the US is quite large - but either exclusively dominated by freight rail or abandoned.

Since about one year, I follow developments about a possible expansion of passenger rail. I have big hopes because of Joe Biden. If the infrastructure bill doesn't go through, we might wait perhaps for another 50 years to improve passenger railway significantly.

I'm looking forward for conversations!

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the forum on occasion for a few years but today decided to join up. I am 67 and not retired because I love my work (photography and environmental education). But a few years ago an Amtrak conductor in the cafe car (our favorite place on the NE Corridor) VERY FORCEFULLY but generously advised my husband and me to RETIRE NOW and travel, take your Social Security now, because you never know when your health will fail and you can't travel anymore. He was right! We are both having some issues now with mobility (no more long mountain hikes) but trains don't mind, they show you the best scenery and introduce you to the best people, with the wonderful clickety-clack of the rails. (Why do we want to smoothe them out?)

I've loved train travel since taking rail across Canada with the whole fam at the age of 10, and across the US from PHL to Rock Springs WY with a fantastic camp called Teton Valley Ranch, for three round trips for three summers when I was age 10-11-12. A formative experience! The camp had three reserved cars with sleepers and a coach car, to take the East Coast campers out to Wyoming. We had a couple hours in Rock Springs before a bus took us up to Teton Valley. Absolute blast. You'd make friends for life before you even got to camp. They held a "campfire" guitar singalong every evening in the coach car. Anyone here work those trains and remember that? 1960s for me, not sure how long they did it.

So of course I love trains, but wasn't really a "railfan" until recently. My work now is about the abandoned canals in eastern Pennsylvania, and many of the folks I encounter in my research are both canal and rail experts, so I've joined some of their rail Facebook groups. It made me realize I'm also pretty fascinated with the actual machinery (ah the locomotive at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia when I was a kid, forgot that influence). But I know almost nothing about rolling stock.

Another formative experience was taking the Southwest Chief in 1985 and sharing a dining table with two (they said) hog semen salesmen from Dodge City. They were inebriated (in a good way) before we sat down, and we tried to catch up and the conversation was hilarious. We thought they might be pulling our leg, but after some research on the subject, we believe it. They did get off in Dodge City. But being randomly seated with strangers is the BEST.

Some other memorable routes I've traveled: The Pennsylvanian, the SWC a second time (two years ago), Lakeshore Limited, Empire Builder 1985 and 2017, California Zephyr 2017, the Surfliner, the NE Corridor countless times over 6 decades, the Adirondack with vintage Fall Foliage dome car, and a bunch of non-Amtrak short trips, most recently the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern steam train excursion from Reading to Jim Thorpe PA, locomotive #425. And some trains in the British Isles, Europe, and New Zealand. Next trip: The Cardinal round trip in December. Cannot wait!

Last edited:
I registered a looooong time ago but didn't post much. I'm a 30-something that has now taken most long distance routes Amtrak offers (still need to do Empire builder). I remember my mom taking the sleeper train when I was little and I couldn't comprehend how trains could have beds - I only knew Metra and freight!

I hope more and more millennials and younger will begin to realize the train can be a great way to travel without the hassle and supercrowding of an airplane or having to drive.

I registered a looooong time ago but didn't post much. I'm a 30-something that has now taken most long distance routes Amtrak offers (still need to do Empire builder). I remember my mom taking the sleeper train when I was little and I couldn't comprehend how trains could have beds - I only knew Metra and freight!

I hope more and more millennials and younger will begin to realize the train can be a great way to travel without the hassle and supercrowding of an airplane or having to drive.

Happy to have more milennials contribute with your perspective given Amtrak's insistence that you are their market now.

Happy to have more milennials contribute with your perspective given Amtrak's insistence that you are their market now.
Interesting! That is, uh, news to me but good they're looking towards the future I suppose! I tend to be more of an old soul so many aspects currently appeal to me. I harken back to the Pullman era (with modern conveniences) which is unlikeky to be the direction they are going nor would it be in the budget range.

As long as they don't start advertising in Tiktok...

Interesting! That is, uh, news to me but good they're looking towards the future I suppose! I tend to be more of an old soul so many aspects currently appeal to me. I harken back to the Pullman era (with modern conveniences) which is unlikeky to be the direction they are going nor would it be in the budget range.

As long as they don't start advertising in Tiktok...

Bear in mind that Amtrak used milennials as the excuse to drop traditional dining a few years ago, saying that your generation did not go for the social atmosphere of the dining car and wanted different types of meals.

Bear in mind that Amtrak used milennials as the excuse to drop traditional dining a few years ago, saying that your generation did not go for the social atmosphere of the dining car and wanted different types of meals.

Interesting. I like having the option - especially when you're traveling with a party in other roomettes, etc. - so you can dine together. But I like the choice of having meals in my roomette or bedroom too. My first trip I went alone and so I was seated with all strangers. The initial concept was a bit disconcerting to me but they were all very nice, interesting people. Had advice about my destination, etc. I think that can be an important experience.

I haven't experienced flex so I can't speak for it. I think having the choice to grab a meal when you can (or are hungry) rather than rigid times is a nice concept. I guess I'd like to see some more basic smaller meal options offered in the club car (like hummus and pitas, sub sandwich bites, simple salads, etc). Included with room fare would be stellar. And offered in the dining car. Re: hummus and pitas - I've seen Aramark mentioned here as a supplier. They supplied some food at my college and they had a hummus and pita tray that I miss to this day! Most people don't miss college food - but that was a perfect light meal or substantial snack.

Flexible IMHO should include both traditional dining and whatever the flex program has. That would be truly flexible...

I am 41 so I am something of an early millennial and my girlfriend is 34 and she definitely is. I am plugged into all the usual millennial and later social media platforms and definitely feel like I am mainstream with the current crowd. With that being said, I have always been a train fan, and a transportation fan in general since I was a small child. Started with cars, then moved to boats, then to trains incorporating all into my life in some fashion. I manage an automotive business and own a hobby car and my parents recently semi-retired and now live in a condo by the water and belong to a boat share community. I take the train about 4-5 times a year so I am getting the complete picture. I am aware of the statements that were made that Amtrak management allegedly made changes to dining and other practices to accommodate a perceived notion that millennials do not care for those traditional services. Many may not but it has been my experience, with the population as a whole, that train riding is a lifestyle as much as a convenience especially when you get out of the North Eastern commuter corridors. I would be curious if management was basing their assumptions on potential future customers from the wider millennial community or those say under 45 who are already customers. If they would have interviewed me I will have told them to leave traditional dining alone but also offer an option for in room dining. It had been my experience that some passengers ate in their rooms in the olden days so that was always there to some extent. I have ridden Amtrak regularly since 2006 and have always enjoyed sitting in the dining car. Not only do you get a decent meal, the ambience adds value, conversation, and passes the time. I have taken LD trains in coach during daytime travel and having the option for breakfast or lunch is a plus. The menu, well yes I suppose as the generations change preferences change the younger crowds are less about meat and threes and definitely into chef inspired entrees. That is not surprising given the plethora of cooking shows on TV and the internet that emphasize creativity and coming up with new variations. That can be accommodated. Its not that hard. It doesn't have to be either or. Hopefully with the new infrastructure money Amtrak will have the financial flexibility to meet these communities halfway.

Anderson made the claim but millennials had no say in the matter and recent changes in the rules that govern AMTK spending should resolve remaining issues with food service. In my experience sleepers are often full of boomers with relatively few millennials so Anderson's claim was flawed and unpersuasive.

I've seen Aramark mentioned here as a supplier. They supplied some food at my college and they had a hummus and pita tray that I miss to this day! Most people don't miss college food - but that was a perfect light meal or substantial snack.
I've had good experiences with Aramark at work so it's clear they can do a good job when properly motivated. Even on Amtrak the seemingly forgotten Chef Inspired era was good enough that meals ceased to be a concern for me despite being pickier about texture and quality than most on the forum.

Anderson made the claim but millennials had no say in the matter and recent changes in the rules that govern AMTK spending should resolve remaining issues with food service. In my experience sleepers are often full of boomers with relatively few millennials so Anderson's claim was flawed and unpersuasive.

I've had good experiences with Aramark at work so it's clear they can do a good job when properly motivated. Even on Amtrak the seemingly forgotten Chef Inspired era was good enough that meals ceased to be a concern for me despite being pickier about texture and quality than most on the forum.
I'm definitely a picky eater - always have been. I'm used to just having a slice of bread if need be or subsisting on sides. I definitely bring some snacks on board but the meals I've had have been fine - I'm definitely good with simple, like the burger, grilled cheese, or salad. Those I travel with tend to like more complex, say something like the salmon. It's definitely a mix.

Already happened, I'm afraid.

As I have said before I am 41 and the GF is 34. We often send each other Tiktok videos when we are apart. I will likely do so when I am on the Star tonight. (But not with others in the view). I have seen <50 in the sleepers. I can imagine it is not just cost that push the sleeper crowd to be older but also if you are 55+ having a place to lie down is of utmost practical value. I *can* handle riding in a coach seat LD if necessary but I generally don't because I can. A lot of people in sleepers probably wouldn't travel LD otherwise.

Re: hummus and pitas - I've seen Aramark mentioned here as a supplier. They supplied some food at my college and they had a hummus and pita tray that I miss to this day! Most people don't miss college food - but that was a perfect light meal or substantial snack.

Agreed! The NE Regional has often had Sabra (I think that is the brand name) hummus and pretzels, which I loved. I hope they still offer it when we ride it next month. They also had a good mozzarella ball "salad" which fits a low-carb snackstyle.

I have no room to talk! I feel like a newbie! lol I haven't been on in a while, I need to add this to my phone, I really enjoy it here!

Been busy with work and admin stuff with usemergalerts.net. I'm going to try to be on top of this!

I have no room to talk! I feel like a newbie! lol I haven't been on in a while, I need to add this to my phone, I really enjoy it here!

Been busy with work and admin stuff with usemergalerts.net. I'm going to try to be on top of this!
Okay, got the site on my phone now... I use it more than my laptop anyway!

Hi Y'all,
I am 26 years old, currently a Ph.D. student, and living in Blacksburg, Virginia. I am originally from India and a big fan of train travel. I am fascinated by US's history in the railroad and how it shaped the country. I am excited about all the attention Amtrak is getting and hopefully, we will see a lot of great improvements in the future. Personally, if the travel time and price are practical, I will choose trains over any other medium of travel. The nearest Amtrak station for me is Roanoke and I frequently use it to travel to New York where my brother works. Looking forward to having a great discussion with all of you. Thanks.

Hi Y'all,
I am 26 years old, currently a Ph.D. student, and living in Blacksburg, Virginia. I am originally from India and a big fan of train travel. I am fascinated by US's history in the railroad and how it shaped the country. I am excited about all the attention Amtrak is getting and hopefully, we will see a lot of great improvements in the future. Personally, if the travel time and price are practical, I will choose trains over any other medium of travel. The nearest Amtrak station for me is Roanoke and I frequently use it to travel to New York where my brother works. Looking forward to having a great discussion with all of you. Thanks.
Welcome. I was recently in Roanoke and found it lovely. We have at least one AU who attended school in Blacksburg, and at least several of Indian descent.

Drive a 1987 Jeep Wrangler, set up for off road & have did a lot down here in AZ. Age 73, Married, Live on 2 acres in a house I designed.
I was raised on a farm along the Columbia River east of Portland. After college became a Journeyman Machinist later opening my own shop.
Moved on to motorsports maintaining cars through the US. And many trips to Japan and "Over the Pond"
Too much air & drive time.

"Like the pace of the rail"

Hi Everyone! I'm 46 and I am a computer programmer by trade. I have two lifelong passions: railroading (specifically passenger trains) and computers/electronics. Railroading was definitely the first, starting with a ride on the Silver Palm when I was 8 years old growing up in South Florida. I'm a fervent advocate of Amtrak and passenger trains: rail is the most efficient way to move people and things over land and it needs to be big part of our future in this country, not just for the sake of our environment but also for our quality of life as Americans. I try to use local mass transit and incorporate a train trip whenever I travel anywhere in the world, but I also made a point of doing what the English would call "train bashing" the Amtrak system when I was in my early 20s. I am still looking to collect some final Amtrak miles missing from my collection, and hopefully I will have a chance to do that soon. I was born in Miami but I have lived elsewhere in Florida and also Richmond, VA, Denver, and I just recently settled in the Portland, OR, area, where I am happy to report I landed a house within a few blocks of the main SP (now UP) line, so I've got two Coast Starlights and four Cascades rolling by every day, plus a handful of what I call UP "stealth freights" (we are in a no-horn zone).

Back