Who in the world are you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings. I’m in DC, originally from the home of the PRR’s famous 5.89% incline, and often traveling around the US (Mosier, Ore. this weekend). Started following after becoming a victim of the great sleeper downgrade.

I hope you are enjoying scenic Mosier, OR. I board the EB for my trips just across the river at WIH. I also have friends in Mosier. Too bad cherry season is over, but the pears should be great about now!

Hello! My name is Nate, I live in northern Utah and occasionally take the California Zephyr here and there. I regularly go to Helper and Green River and love filming and photographing the trains there. I have been writing politicians and participating in groups encouraging the restoration of Pioneer and Desert Wind. I am also indirectly involved in the effort to complete the Rio Grande Plan to bring trains back to SLC's Rio Grande Depot. I have been watching the discussions on here for a while and am interested in participating.

Hello! My name is Nate, I live in northern Utah and occasionally take the California Zephyr here and there. I regularly go to Helper and Green River and love filming and photographing the trains there. I have been writing politicians and participating in groups encouraging the restoration of Pioneer and Desert Wind. I am also indirectly involved in the effort to complete the Rio Grande Plan to bring trains back to SLC's Rio Grande Depot. I have been watching the discussions on here for a while and am interested in participating.
Welcome nate to the forum

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited.

You might be interested in my PowerPoint slides from a field trip for ColoRail in the 2008-9 study of the Pioneer:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135141530@N04/albums/72157668130775833
There are some photos of the Pioneer on page 2 of the album.

Don't believe I wrote in this forum for new members and if I have please attribute to Senior mentality. I am 92 3/4 years, retired USAF 55+ years, IBM 35+ years and a widower for an opening start. Lived in 14 states and 28 different domiciles since getting married in 1952. Travelled Porland Rose to Denver several times, at 12 years by myself. At 14 I took (again by myself) the Osarker to St louis from Little Rock transferring to the Colorado Eagle to Denver and on to Portland again on the Portlandl rose. The Colorado Eagle did'nt have any seats because it was filled with soldiers going from the East to California going on their way to the Pacific. I spent that portion of the trip in the vestible. I have travelled by train from Tacoma to LA to San Antonio. Portland, Oregon to New York City twice,NYC to Omaha and victorville, CA to Colorado springs transferring to bus at Raton, New Mexico. That was my last train ride in 1964. I plan on riding IND to CHI to EMY to SEA and return VIA Empire Builder in 2023. My son at 67 has never been on a train and we will book a room for the trip. I have enjoyed this site daily since finding it a month or so ago.

Last edited:
Don't believe I wrote in this forum for new members and if I have please attribute to Senior mentality. I am 92 3/4 years, retired USAF 55+ years, IBM 35+ years and a widower for an opening start. Lived in 14 states and 28 different domiciles since getting married in 1952. Travelled Porland Rose to Denver several times, at 12 years by myself. At 14 I took (again by myself) the Osarker to St louis from Little Rock transferring to the Colorado Eagle to Denver and on to Portland again on the Portlandl rose. The Colorado Eagle did'nt have any seats because it was filled with soldiers going from the East to California going on their way to the Pacific. I spent that portion of the trip in the vestible. I have travelled by train from Tacoma to LA to San Antonio. Portland, Oregon to New York City twice,NYC to Omaha and victorville, CA to Colorado springs transferring to bus at Raton, New Mexico. That was my last train ride in 1964. I plan on riding IND to CHI to EMY to SEA and return VIA Empire Builder in 2023. My son at 67 has never been on a train and we will book a room for the trip. I have enjoyed this site daily since finding it a month or so ago.
Welcome to AU and thank you for introducing yourself to us.

Thanks for your service( my Late Father was a 37 year Air Force Veteran)

Welcome to AU.

Last edited:
If this has already been done, I apologize, but thought it might be interesting. We have a "what does your username mean" thread, and that's good, but I sometimes wonder just who some of us are. I have been around the forum long enough to get an impression of the usual suspects, but, my impression may be way off....as an example, I envisioned one member as very young, but reading some posts over the last few months, suspect they are retired....some others, on another forum I envisioned as an older professional, was also off, turns out they were in college....so, how about a thread with a bit about who we are? Wish it was members only, but who knows, I may get no response anyway. If you want, post up. I would suggest the usual online precautions, and not post info that is too personal!

I am a 39 YO male, married with a kid living in OKC. Spent 8 years n the Air Force as a C-130 air crew member in Alaska and Germany, flew regularly all over the world before going to work as a conductor and engineer for a Class 1 Railroad. Left the class 1 lifestyle for the Shortline/regional railroad world, where I have works in various capacities as an engineer and management. We enjoy kayaking, mountain biking, and camping (RV style....I like my air conditioning..) our family enjoys shooting sports such as skeet/trap/sporting clays, competitive pistol shooting, and collecting military firearms. I don't travel by train often, but work in a business trip when I can in lieu of my normal seat on Delta. I am socially moderate, fiscally conservative, and have a bit of a Libertarian slant politically. We are non denominational Christians, I don't floss as much as my dentist would like, and I need to drop 30 lbs or so. I travel extensively around the country, but try and keep a good work-home balance.

So, that's a bit about me. Im very interested to see just who we have on board here
Thanks. I always enjoy these posts.
I am a newbie to this site. I have ridden Amtrak for short commutes to and from DC to Philly for work frequently but took my first distance run on the SW Chief and the Capitol Limited a couple of times. Both legs of my trip were wonderful. Three days of relaxing travel. We won't mention the dining experience - it wasn't pretty.
We are from the west coast, living on the east coast, and currently moving to the south west. We keep homes in both places due to grandkids and friends. Hubs and I love travel and have done a lot of that with our jobs. We are looking forward to do much more of it for our pleasure coming soon.

Thanks. I always enjoy these posts.
I am a newbie to this site. I have ridden Amtrak for short commutes to and from DC to Philly for work frequently but took my first distance run on the SW Chief and the Capitol Limited a couple of times. Both legs of my trip were wonderful. Three days of relaxing travel. We won't mention the dining experience - it wasn't pretty.
We are from the west coast, living on the east coast, and currently moving to the south west. We keep homes in both places due to grandkids and friends. Hubs and I love travel and have done a lot of that with our jobs. We are looking forward to do much more of it for our pleasure coming soon.
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited

Back