Who makes the decision on a Spokane turn?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tim49424

Engineer
I was just wondering who makes the decision when train #7 is late enough into SPK to turn. Is it Amtrak or BNSF or is it a mutual decision between the two?

I think it must be Amtrak, but I am sure there is someone on this discussion board that knows more than I do, and I am surely interested.

Monday (day after tomorrow!) I am due to be boarding in PDX, and it should be that very trainset that just left CHI 92 minutes late. I'm pleased and astounded that they turned it around so fast after the incident in WI yesterday, but worried about how much later it could get in the next two days.

Monday (day after tomorrow!) I am due to be boarding in PDX, and it should be that very trainset that just left CHI 92 minutes late. I'm pleased and astounded that they turned it around so fast after the incident in WI yesterday, but worried about how much later it could get in the next two days.
Good luck with that. I'm sure it will lose considerable time due to the bitter cold temperatures in Wisconsin and states to the west.....also now that it's late, the logistics probably get very tricky battling and freight traffic. I too leave on the EB soon (#8 on the 22nd and #7 on the 30th, from TOH to CHI and back) and am not optimistic about either trip being very timely. I doubt I'll be on a train for #8 at all, seeing how the trends are getting worse....I'm counting on a bus for that one.

Well, I have taken the EB several times, so I will be interested to see if we get the AmBus experience at either end, ha, ha! I am pretty sure there will be a bus at the CHI end, either from MSP to catch our connection to the Lincoln service, or from CHI to SPI when we don't make it.

I think it must be Amtrak, but I am sure there is someone on this discussion board that knows more than I do, and I am surely interested.

Not looking good at all. #7 in ND now estimated into MOT at least 5 hours late, with another 2+ hours of delays likely after that as it winds slowly thru the rest of ND and MT. It could be around 7 hours behind when approaching SPK, which is usually the "magic" number for turns there, but then they didn't turn one earlier this week that was six hours behind, so hope springs eternal!

Most of the plans are in place for turning #7(7) in SPK. Just waiting on one bus company to confirm availability.

Generally, the decision to terminate the train anywhere other than it's scheduled destination comes down from at least the Superintendent level.

Most of the plans are in place for turning #7(7) in SPK. Just waiting on one bus company to confirm availability.

Generally, the decision to terminate the train anywhere other than it's scheduled destination comes down from at least the Superintendent level.
Are the Roads and Passes Open up that Way??? The Reports Ive seen on TV make it Seem Really Bad in the NW and Across the Plains!The Zephyrs and the Chiefs seem to be Running into Delays Also! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Here in the Northwest it's just fine. A tad nippy as the nearest weather station to me has set record lows over the last six nights, but fine other than that. No snow to speak of here and the passes are just fine.

Well, I have taken the EB several times, so I will be interested to see if we get the AmBus experience at either end, ha, ha! I am pretty sure there will be a bus at the CHI end, either from MSP to catch our connection to the Lincoln service, or from CHI to SPI when we don't make it.
When they run buses from MSP, it's an "on time" bus for those boarding at MSP and points east. People from the train are not taken off and put on buses, because it would actually take longer to get them to Chicago than just leaving them on the train.

While it's theoretically possible for them to bus connecting passengers to some other shortcut place, I can't think of any time in recent memory where that has happened. What usually happens is they have you stay on to Chicago, and deal with reaccommodation there.

Does this mean those of us poor fools in the sleeper cars on the westbound #7 are going to have paid for first class from Chicago only to get sardined into a bus for the last 6 hours of the trip? Color me highly impressed - not. Was talking with 6 nice Canadian ladies who were on the #8 that hit a truck, and are now heading back on the #7. They have all sworn they will NEVER take Amtrak again. My husband and I are close to that point, and we love traveling on Amtrak. We have already booked a rental car to drive home to Virginia from Xhicago on the return leg because it is always so stressful to wonder If you will make the connection to Cardinal. But getting a friggin bus from Spokane to Seattle will likely end our train travel on Amtrak.

Marianne,

It sure sounds like you may end up being bussed from Spokane. If that does indeed happen, you can call Amtrak and they'll give you a voucher for the loss of the room and other services because of the busing.

Marianne,

It sure sounds like you may end up being bussed from Spokane. If that does indeed happen, you can call Amtrak and they'll give you a voucher for the loss of the room and other services because of the busing.
Alan, last time I got a voucher, I think it was ony good for travel within a year. Is that the case now? Because if one does not have more travel plans, that makes it a loss for the traveler...

Couldn't you make a reservation a year out, using the voucher, and then cancel that reservation, creating a new voucher good for a year? Not the best solution, but better than losing the value of the voucher.

If there is a downgrade in service (even for part of the journey), the passenger should be eligible for a refund instead of a travel voucher.

You have to book within one year to travel within 11 months (23 months total). Don't think they can be extended past that.

If there is a downgrade in service (even for part of the journey), the passenger should be eligible for a refund instead of a travel voucher.
OK, so what if the travel is a points award? This is... :blink:

I'll be calling Amtrak soon... they must not have my cell #, so they emailed me.

You have to book within one year to travel within 11 months (23 months total). Don't think they can be extended past that.

OK, so what if the travel is a points award? This is... :blink:

I'll be calling Amtrak soon... they must not have my cell #, so they emailed me.
AGR doesnt Refund Points Except when your Trip is Cancelled in Advance by Either You or Amtrak! But you Will Be Issued a Voucher from Customer Relations for any Downgrade in Service! The Last One I got when Using Points was When the Portland Sleeper was Bad Ordered on #28 and we had to Ride Coach to Spokane (still got the Box Dinner!)and then Board the Seattle Sleeper to CHI!(No Long Walk to the Diner and Lounge! ;) ) I I Received a Voucher for Future Travel for $150! When I had to ride a Bus from Klamath Falls to Pasco I received One for $200!!

It's Not Automatic, you Will Need to Call AGR and Customer Relations! Good Luck and Good Traveling! ;)

Thanks, Jim! They say we will "probably" get the boxed dinner even on the bus (but can't say for sure... I'll be checking in early, in case we need to go get some Hot Lips pizza-to-go). Watch for my travelogue, but not necessarily in a timely fashion, since there's no wi-fi on the EB and I have a "dumb" phone.

AGR says to talk to Customer Relations after the trip for a voucher.

Thanks, Jim! They say we will "probably" get the boxed dinner even on the bus (but can't say for sure... I'll be checking in early, in case we need to go get some Hot Lips pizza-to-go). Watch for my travelogue, but not necessarily in a timely fashion, since there's no wi-fi on the EB and I have a "dumb" phone.

AGR says to talk to Customer Relations after the trip for a voucher.
:hi: You're Welcome, Ya'll Enjoy the Adventure! ;) At least Once you get to Spokane you Will Be on a Warm LD Train and If (When!!) you get Bustituted (Vantituted?? ^_^ ) in Chicago you'll get a Bigger Voucher when you Call! I Look Forward to your Reports, Bon Voyage!, we're Envious! ("I'd Rather Be on a Train!!!")

They have all sworn they will NEVER take Amtrak again. My husband and I are close to that point, and we love traveling on Amtrak. We have already booked a rental car to drive home to Virginia from Xhicago on the return leg because it is always so stressful to wonder If you will make the connection to Cardinal. But getting a friggin bus from Spokane to Seattle will likely end our train travel on Amtrak.
I hope you won't give up entirely on Amtrak. Much as I love traveling via Amtrak and as much as I dislike flying, I would never book passage on the Empire Builder in winter. A disaster in the making, most of the time of late. I'd suck it up and fly. Spring/summer/fall is a different story. I'm already thinking of making my cross-country rail plans (including the EB) for spring.

Traditionally, summer is worse than winter on the Empire Builder.

8_CHI_2010_2012.png

I don't have 2013 data yet. It's going to be.... ugly...

1. It would break connections with other trains.

2. It would have to be negotiated not just with BNSF (whom I wouldn't trust to actually live to up their agreement), CP and METRA.

3. Most importantly, you would need a 6th trainset, and the equipment for that doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back