Who travels the greatest distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
How far do you have to travel to the nearest Amtrak station? My closest is Fargo, North Dakota requiring a 227 mile drive....about 4 hours......
mda.gif

About 160 miles to a flag stop in Fulton, Ky.....About 170 to a manned station at Carbondale, Il.

Trick question!
mosking.gif
"Who travels the greatest distance?"

My nearest station is about 4 miles away - so I lose on that count.
sad.gif
But I try to make each trip 6,000-8,000 miles (or more) - so I'm (at least) close to the top on that count!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When I travel Amtrak, the nearest station would probably be Vancouver.

A whopping 1466 miles, or 31 hours.

How about who travels the least distance? :lol:

PVD is within walking distance of my house - definitely under a mile!

The Heartland Flyer passes just under a mile from the house, but since I cannot flag her there, I need to travel about 3 miles to the station :)

The Heartland Flyer passes just under a mile from the house, but since I cannot flag her there, I need to travel about 3 miles to the station :)
The NEC runs right next to my neighborhood (though I'm on the other side of the neighborhood) and it also runs right behind my office building. And there's a train "station" about a mile from my house ... but it's only for SEPTA :( . So I travel about 10 miles to WIL.

Well then I would be a close second to you Amamba! The Harpers Ferry station is 1.5 miles away from our West Virginia home. Unfortunately we are not there year round and when we are residing in Georgia it is around 150 miles to Jacksonville, FL and around 200 miles to Atlanta. Back when the Sunset East was running it was around 40 miles to Tallahassee. When The Floridian was on the Amtrak schedule our home in Thomasville was only 2 miles away from the station. BTW, the Thomasville station is still in existence and currently houses a restuarant and a few retail shops. The appearance of the station maintains an old fashioned attractiveness to it.

My Apartment is about a Mile and a Half from the Station here in Austin, but it is not Walkable due to the Traffic! However the CapMetro Bus stops about Twenty Feet from my Front Door and I can ride the Bus or Drive! :wacko: ( about 20 Minutes and there is Plenty of Free, Lighted Parking @ the Old MoPac Station!

In addition I have a friend that lives in one of the New Condos Downtown that is about 50 feet across the Tracks from the Station!She Complains about the Noise from those *&%*&** Trains!!! :rolleyes: I sometimes spend the Night there before I catch the Train, only have to Walk about 50 feet across the Tracks to catch The Eagle!! :cool:

My Apartment is about a Mile and a Half from the Station here in Austin, but it is not Walkable due to the Traffic! However the CapMetro Bus stops about Twenty Feet from my Front Door and I can ride the Bus or Drive! :wacko: ( about 20 Minutes and there is Plenty of Free, Lighted Parking @ the Old MoPac Station!

In addition I have a friend that lives in one of the New Condos Downtown that is about 50 feet across the Tracks from the Station!She Complains about the Noise from those *&%*&** Trains!!! :rolleyes: I sometimes spend the Night there before I catch the Train, only have to Walk about 50 feet across the Tracks to catch The Eagle!! :cool:
I know exactly what condos you are talking about. When I took the Eagle from DAL to SAS last year, I was eyeing those condos with jealousy during the Austin stop, and had told myself, if I ever move from Dallas to Austin, this is where I want to live :D

It's 60 miles or so to the nearest Amtrak station, Spokane. Counting Thruway bus stops, it's about 20 feet from my front door for northbound buses. Southbound, I would have to travel a much greater distance :lol: ........across 4 lanes of the street in front of my apartment to the parking lot of the business across the street.

I live about 2 miles from the Van Nuys station.

Until I was laid off last week, my office was literally within sight of the Burbank-Bob Hope Airport station -- I think about three-tenths or four-tenths of a mile.

I live about 3 miles from the Orlando station, although the tracks are about a half mile from my condo and I can hear the horns. :)

I would have to drive about 90 miles to CIN or 230 miles to IND to catch the train. I usually just fly to ORD and got to CUS from there.

I live about a half-mile from the KAL station. The tracks across the street at the end of our neighborhood, so I can't hear the TV or a phone conversation if we have our windows open. We can even hear the rumble of the locos. It's awesome.

We're moving even closer to the tracks/station this fall, just down the street a ways, and the train will actually cross the road just a few houses down from us on its approach to KAL. I'm excited. :)

I live around 15 miles from the Ocala Ambus station. I consider Deland (S/B) or Palatka (N/B) my home stations (both around 70 miles away), because I won't ride on an Ambus.

If service from New Orleans east to Jacksonville ever comes back, I am around 80 miles away from Lake City.

Ocala Mike

When I travel Amtrak, the nearest station would probably be Vancouver.

A whopping 1466 miles, or 31 hours.
Reid,

Do you make this trip often??

Have you ever made the trip by dogsled??

How much snow is on the ground now??

Have a good day.

I'm only a couple miles from the nearest Amtrak route and about ten miles from the nearest Amtrak station. I used to think SAS was the ******* step child of the Amtrak system, but after spending some time here on AU I've come to realize that there are folks who have far fewer options than we have. You can reach Chicago, Los Angeles, or New Orleans on a single train from San Antonio. I still wish we had the southbound trains to Mexico though. I can't imagine living in a town with zero passenger trains. Bleh! Incidentally, even though it's not the original intent of the thread the longest trip I've ever taken by rail is about 5,500 miles or so. Not that long compared to some, but pretty damn long for me. ^_^

So she's from "the wrong side of the tracks", Jim?
huh.gif

huh.gif
And she is subject to having unwanted "visitors" drop in as what happened a couple years ago when a UP freight left the tracks right there and sent a couple cars right up onto people's stoops.

huh.gif
I live between a freight track & the NEC. I can't decide if I'm on the right or wrong side of the tracks. :p

MSP Midway Station is about 6 miles away from my house, but will jump to 11 miles when it moves to the St. Paul Union Depot next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back