Who travels the greatest distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition I have a friend that lives in one of the New Condos Downtown that is about 50 feet across the Tracks from the Station!She Complains about the Noise from those *&%*&** Trains!!! :rolleyes: I sometimes spend the Night there before I catch the Train, only have to Walk about 50 feet across the Tracks to catch The Eagle!! :cool:
So she's from "the wrong side of the tracks", Jim?
huh.gif
And she is subject to having unwanted "visitors" drop in as what happened a couple years ago when a UP freight left the tracks right there and sent a couple cars right up onto people's stoops.
They are Building these Condos so Close to the Tracks that it's Not a Matter of IF but When One of UPs Coal Trains or Freights (let's Hope it's not the Eagle)Derails and Becomes an Unwanted Visitor in Someones Living Room! :eek: :help: (And I'd say its the "Wrong"

Sideof the Tacks because one has to Cross the Main and the Station Siding to reach the Station! :unsure: )

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 266 miles for me ... up to Shelby, Montana.

I'm probably not quite the farthest distance from an Amtrak stop in the lower 48 ... though it feels like it sometimes. :(

I think I win the prize for shortest distance at 4 blocks from the platform at SAC.

Reading these posts makes me feel a little bit better about having my nearest rail station in Columbus, WI.

How far do you have to travel to the nearest Amtrak station? My closest is Fargo, North Dakota requiring a 227 mile drive....about 4 hours......
mda.gif

About 4000 miles flying into Philadephia. With the changes that involves it's 13 hours plus.

Do I win?

When I travel Amtrak, the nearest station would probably be Vancouver.

A whopping 1466 miles, or 31 hours.
Reid,

Do you make this trip often??

Have you ever made the trip by dogsled??

How much snow is on the ground now??

Have a good day.
1. I've never actually been to the Vancouver station, I always end up starting from somewhere south, or Toronto.

2. I hope that's a rhetorical question.

3. Currently there's no snow on the ground, as I'm sitting poolside in Phoenix, but back home, the pile of snow i've shoveled from the driveway is now one and a half times my height.

I am so jealous of you people close to the train stations. Our closest is Bloomington, Illinois or Galesburg, Illinois. Both about forty miles. The train we have to take next is about a hour and a half. Errr.

Now we have train tracks behind us but that is just for freight. Bummer

2 miles to the LIRR station, then a 40-55 minute ride into NYP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for the closeat distance, Amtrak trains pass less than 4500 feet from my home, and I can hear trains all the time, but the nearest station is about 4 miles away!

Hi,

I was imagining my 3,500 miles from England to New York might make me a winner, but it seems not... such is the appeal of Amtrak.

I did a two week railpass tour a few years ago when the number of segments was unrestricted, and clocked up around

12,500 miles.

Cheers,

Ed :cool:

Union Station is about 5 miles away from my dorm in Chicago, I think. Take the blue line to the loop and walk.

From my house in NYC, Penn Station is like 10 miles away from Brooklyn. I think.

Closest one is Las Vegas, NM which is about 193 miles. If Southwest Chief will be moved to Transcon if that'll happened, it'll be about 35 miles.
I now travel 264 miles (4 hours) to Lamy, NM. If it were rerouted like you said, the train would pass less than a mile from my house.

It's interesting to me how many of the forum regulars live so far away from an Amtrak station. Considering the added complexity of planning an Amtrak trip under those circumstances, it shows what a dedicated group of train riders we have here!

It's interesting to me how many of the forum regulars live so far away from an Amtrak station. Considering the added complexity of planning an Amtrak trip under those circumstances, it shows what a dedicated group of train riders we have here!
For me, it does not add a whole lot of complexity. You just have to figure in the four hour drive. Course, my biggest fear is having a breakdown and missing the train!

I just accept that in case Old Man Winter decides to strike a blow, I may have to delay or cancel a trip......
mda.gif

Yeah, I consider it a PITA to get up at 4:00AM or whatever but at least I'm not driving hours and hours to reach the nearest station. ^_^

Closest station to me is Sedalia, Mo. (SED): 130 miles. 2h 40m according to Google Maps, but we usually give it 2h 30m and arrive well before the train arrives.

Closest manned station is Kansas City Union Station (KCY): 185 miles. We never board here because I don't want to pay to park!

CUS is 3 blocks from my front door. And the EB gets within about 30 feet of my building. I assume I don't win the greatest distance award.

2 hour drive to Portland - which counts technically since one can get on the Downeaster there. But to go on a LD trip anyplace I normally drive to Portland and then take a bus to South Station (BOS) -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back