Whoops

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
Last night on P097(15) one of the coaches (the 43 car) was turned the wrong way, with the B end forward. All the seats were turned so PAX's were facing the right direction. One thing I did notice though was that the people who were in seats 57-60 (Bulkhead) were much happier because the could at least see out a window instead of a wall. The PAX's in seats 3 & 4 were still happy because they still had their window. I'd like to see them start turning all cars Vestibule forward.

B-51 I'm not comlaining here but could you make us a list of railroad vocabualry so we can understand what the terms you are using mean? For example with the "Bend forward" or "PAX's" :D

Amfleet said:
B-51 I'm not comlaining here but could you make us a list of railroad vocabualry so we can understand what the terms you are using mean? For example with the "Bend forward" or "PAX's" :D
I'm assuming PAX's are passengers.

Sorry Amfleet, the "Bend" thing was supposed to be B end (I missed a space). To clarify every car has an "A" end and a "B" end. The "B" end on an Amfleet II refers to the side with the vestibule. On an Amfleet I it can be identified by which side the restroom is on (restrooms are on the "B" end). Superliners it's a little harder to tell from the outside, but it doesn't really make a difference since the cars are all essentiall the same forwards and backwards (except of course for the Trans Dorms). And yes PAX's do refer to passengers. Sorry I've kind of gotten used to short hand language.

That's fine. :) Thanks for clearing it up. I have never understood why names have abbriviations with an "X" in it even though that letter is not in the name. For example Los Angeles airport (LAX) or Portland (PDX)? Any explanation? :unsure: :blink:

Amfleet said:
That's fine. :) Thanks for clearing it up. I have never understood why names have abbriviations with an "X" in it even though that letter is not in the name. For example Los Angeles airport (LAX) or Portland (PDX)? Any explanation? :unsure: :blink:
The only thing that I can guess is that the "X" is a place holder. Since Los Angeles is known as LA, it was probably easier when assigning the three letter names to just use the abbreviation LA with an X at the end. With Portland, it was probably the case that by the time Portland was assigned its name, all the other letter combinations were taken. Remember that Amtrak uses the same codes as travel agencies use for major airports. (Portland International Airport is also known as PDX).

That's why when CSX was being named it was referred to as CSX (Chessie-Seabord). The original name idea was CSM for Chessie Seaboard Merger, but that name was already in use. After many ideas and thoughts, someone said, "Hey CSX is kind of catchy, let's call it that."

Well I believe the four letters on express cars are AMTX, so that would justify AMTZ.

Jon, I know RoadRailers say AMTZ (I took the picture after all). I'm saying the Express Cars (Express Trak, remember them?) might have the letters AMTX.

Well the express track and express cars are AMTK, which makes a bit more sense.

amt74077c.jpg

amt71124.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back