Why didn't he take Acela?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why was he even trying to fly between NYC and Washington DC?
Probably due to a habit of the career staff who book travel. Spending time educating knee-jerk travel bookers may not have been a priority.

That said, I once testified twice at an ICC hearing in Seattle. First off for Oregon DOT, I rode the train up from Portland the night before. Then I testified last for Oregon PUC, because their guy did the classic "we fly at dawn" to be more time efficient. His flight left Portland and orbited fog-bound Seattle for a while and then went back to PDX. I was able to do this because the support staff had concluded that my use of rail and bus travel on business would get approval from higher up as a form of research.

Maybe he had read all the negative comments made over and over again about Amtrak on AU?

The same folk seem to enjoy rubbishing Amtrak service in each post, over and over again?

Maybe the gripes are justified, but any first time rider reading all our "expert" AU wisdom would just assume "no, avoid at all costs" ...
But surely not Acela, the darling of the NEC boosters! ;)

Maybe he had read all the negative comments made over and over again about Amtrak on AU?

The same folk seem to enjoy rubbishing Amtrak service in each post, over and over again?

Maybe the gripes are justified, but any first time rider reading all our "expert" AU wisdom would just assume "no, avoid at all costs" ...
I doubt Secretary Pete is taking the time from his busy schedule to read our esteemed forum. :)

But he should have an aide(s) who each concentrate on just rail, air, Amtrak, freight RRs, highways, water, pipelines, etc. It is up to PB to get them to tell him the unvarnished truth.

I would be surprised if he didn't have such aides. Federal departments seem to have Deputy Secretaries, Under Secretaries, Assistant Deputy and Under Secretaries etc. for "this, that, and the other".

Back