Why do people work in on-board jobs on long-distance trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrescent

OBS Chief
What motivates people to work on Amtrak long-distance trains, instead of an airline or another company? Being far from home and, for some roles, having to wake up constantly during the night to let people on and off must be excruciating.

Does Amtrak pay particularly well or give excellent job security compared to airlines?

Are the schedules better than airline schedules?

Are jobs on board pretty easy compared to being a flight attendant?

Or are plenty of people who work for Amtrak aboard long-distance trains just rail fans or travel buffs?

Thanks.

Everyones situations are different. Sometimes it could be a job of opportunity, that's just what was there. Maybe they hate flying but love travelling. We can't really answer because it's not one-size fits all.

Does Amtrak pay particularly well or give excellent job security compared to airlines?
I think they're around the same, but I can't really say for certain.

Are the schedules better than airline schedules?
For Amtrak the schedule is usually from the base to the other endpoint and back, some having same-day turns. For the Chief I believe it's 6 days on, 7 days off (or something around there). "Better" is up to the individual.

Are jobs on board pretty easy compared to being a flight attendant?
From my perspective, no. But again, I think everyone has their own definitions for easy and for what suits them best.
Or are plenty of people who work for Amtrak aboard long-distance trains just rail fans or travel buffs?
There are probably many, however it seems like most of the staff I've met didn't get into it because they're a railfan.

The people I know who work for Amtrak that are also “railfans” work in operations (engineer / conductor).

Why do people choose to be a flight attendant? The reasons are all over the map. I don’t think the job is particularly better or worse than being a flight attendant. Pretty similar, each with unique pros and cons.

For the type of job (service job) Amtrak pays very well. If you get seniority you can get some pretty good schedules as well. Plenty of pros if you want to make it a career. In another life, I would love to work for Amtrak as a career.

What motivates people to work on Amtrak long-distance trains, instead of an airline or another company? Being far from home and, for some roles, having to wake up constantly during the night to let people on and off must be excruciating.
I don't think any have to "wake up constantly during the night". When it's "bedtime" for the sleeping car attendants, and I assume the coach car attendants, the conductor and assistant conductor handles the on and off of passengers.

I don't think any have to "wake up constantly during the night". When it's "bedtime" for the sleeping car attendants, and I assume the coach car attendants, the conductor and assistant conductor handles the on and off of passengers.

I think they usually trade off. Like one of the coach attendants stays up until a certain stop, and then the other takes over. That’s how they used to do it on the Crescent at least. Was fun to hang out in the lounge and chat late at night with some of the fun New Orleans based coach attendants. Those were the days!

Actually SCAs are only guaranteed 4 Hours of Sleep during the Night, and are not Paid for "Off Duty" time while on LD Trips.

Most OBS trade off during the night in the Sleepers since they often have to make up rooms when they change passengers.Conductors and ACs don't do this duty for Sleepers!

I have an acquaintance who works for Amtrak based out of Miami. In a conversation with me, she mentioned that she wanted to be a flight attendant, but was too short, so she applied to Amtrak. (I am guessing she is about 4'10 or 11.) I first met her many years ago when she was a dining car server. She later became a coach attendant and then worked in the crew base. I saw her recently on one the Silvers when she was filling in for a coach attendant. She is one of Amtrak's finest. She goes above and beyond what is expected of her and has received an Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee Customer Service Award.

She loves working with people, and it shows. The restrooms in her coach cars are cleaned constantly and she is friendly and accommodating to her passengers. She is bilingual and often is asked to make announcements in English and en Espanol. If the train is running late, she apologizes on behalf of Amtrak. I love hearing her announcements when I am on a train on which she is working. Just hearing her voice makes me smile.

I agree that there are a lot of different reasons. One that I'll add is that the time off between runs is clumped into bigger blocks than in most other jobs and that attracts some people who don't want a 5 or 6-day week grind. (I had a duty in the Army that if we did all the math was more than a normal work week but gave the time off in 3-day clumps and we could do a lot with that.)

Incidentally, in conversations with OBS personnel on DB, Wagon-Lits, and ÖBB they said similar things.

Pay and benefits (Health insurance) are very much needs / priorities for most people.
But they're not the only need. I spent 40 years working as a scientist for the Federal government. I could have made a lot more money over that period working for, say, an oil company, or even a consulting company, but there were other things I was looking for in a career than making the maximum amount of money I could.

I agree that there are a lot of different reasons. One that I'll add is that the time off between runs is clumped into bigger blocks than in most other jobs and that attracts some people who don't want a 5 or 6-day week grind. (I had a duty in the Army that if we did all the math was more than a normal work week but gave the time off in 3-day clumps and we could do a lot with that.)

Incidentally, in conversations with OBS personnel on DB, Wagon-Lits, and ÖBB they said similar things.

Every OBS person who I've heard talking about why they chose their job lists this. Every one. A week doing hard work, then an entire week at home with their family.... they really like that structure. And they warn people that if you don't like that structure, you'll hate OBS.

If you do like that structure, there aren't a lot of jobs which offer it. And the Amtrak OBS jobs offer that structure with good pay and benefits.

Every OBS person who I've heard talking about why they chose their job lists this. Every one. A week doing hard work, then an entire week at home with their family.... they really like that structure. And they warn people that if you don't like that structure, you'll hate OBS.

If you do like that structure, there aren't a lot of jobs which offer it. And the Amtrak OBS jobs offer that structure with good pay and benefits.
On the U.S. Army's Bremerhaven>Berlin train one early morning, the car attendant made me a cup of coffee and while doing so talked about working the NATO sleeper when that organization was quartered in Paris. It was a two-week turn connecting with the S.S. United States at Bremerhaven. He laid over in Paris for ten days on each turn, sleeping in the car, and then had days off at home in the German port city.

I can imagine that there were and are other peculiar OBS work cycles that would interest one person and drive another nuts.

When I was writing "Zephyr" a number of sleeper and coach attendants on that train told me they were studying for bachelor's degrees at local Chicago universities during their off time. I believe at least one rose to Amtrak management level.

I wonder if there is more of a "human contact" factor working a Amtrak sleeper car or even coach. Certainly more than a flight attendant has, as far as I can see. I also wonder how much tips factor in with the total salary of a sleeper attendant. I know the long on/off work schedule would be a plus for me.

I must object to the airline-centric nature of the OP. It seems to take an airline employee as the standard model, and questions why others would deviate from that model. This is a very biased question.

Last edited:
I must object to the airline-centric nature of the OP. It seems to take an airline employee as the standard model, and questions why others would deviate from that model. This is a very biased question.

It’s simply acknowledging the reality that if you want a passenger-service job involving travel, most options will be with airlines, as they have a lot more employees.

Back