Why does the LSL cost so much more to ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
I live in RVR. I can take the train to chi for around $80 on the Cardinal or the CL. But if I want to ride the LSL it can often be double the price for one way. :angry: Because of the price I never go that way. But back in the day when you could pick the train you wanted to ride on I rode the LSL and I really enjoyed that route :) . Isn't that the old 20 centry limited route?

I live in RVR. I can take the train to chi for around $80 on the Cardinal or the CL. But if I want to ride the LSL it can often be double the price for one way. :angry: Because of the price I never go that way. But back in the day when you could pick the train you wanted to ride on I rode the LSL and I really enjoyed that route :) . Isn't that the old 20 centry limited route?
Why did Amtrak stop letting you pick the train you wanted to ride on? :huh:

Hum! I just checked RVE to CHI online and Amtrak let me pick either CL or LSL. It was more expensive by $58 (coach) for the LSL over the $103 for the CL... and I wouldn't think that's unreasonable since you are receiving about 5 more hours of on-rail service via the LSL. But again, they didn't stop me from making that selection.

EDIT: Because I'm having trouble writing my on reading! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hum! I just checked RVE to CHI online and Amtrak let me pick either CL or LSL. It was more expensive by $58 (coach) for the LSL over the $103 for the CL... and I wouldn't think that's unreasonable since you are receiving about 5 more hours of on-rail service via the LSL. But again, they didn't stop me from making that selection.

what I ment to say was let you pick the train you want without the additional cost. There use to be an option that said more trains.

Is the LSL the old 20 centry route?

Is the LSL the old 20 centry route?
Essentially, although the first few miles out of NY are not, since the 20th left from Grand Central and the LSL now leaves from Penn Station. But once the train reaches Spuyten Duyvil, you're on the same route.

Today I put in May 2 rvr to chi and I got a fare of $83 vs $161 it is almost double. :angry:
It's just that the LSL is more popular on THAT DAY! The LSL may be in the 3rd bucket while the CL may be in the low bucket. I'm almost certain that the CL was priced higher than the LSL around late January and the LSL had a higher fare around New Years Eve!

It may be (I didn't try) that May 3 or May 4 will have the CL be higher than the LSL.

I'm getting $103 on 98 and 29 (CL), and $161 on 98 and 49(LSL). The LSL route is about 4 hrs longer.
Sorry, I missed your post before making mine! C'est La Vie!
Today I put in May 2 rvr to chi and I got a fare of $83 vs $161 it is almost double. :angry:
With your talking two distinctly different services here, I don't understanding your feelings. Would you feel the same if you were traveling from CHI to LAX with the TE route being more expensive than the SWC? Basicly that's the same situation except on a larger scale!

I'm getting $103 on 98 and 29 (CL), and $161 on 98 and 49(LSL). The LSL route is about 4 hrs longer.
Ok, as long as I get the points for the toaster!
You mean to say that you wouldn't rather have AGR points? :p
If PetalumaLoco desn't want the AGR points, I'll gladly take them off your hands! :lol:

Ok, as long as I get the points for the toaster!
You mean to say that you wouldn't rather have AGR points? :p
If PetalumaLoco desn't want the AGR points, I'll gladly take them off your hands! :lol:
Ah, now don't be greedy!

To get back on topic, the Lake Sure Limited cost so much because the food is so good.

If anyone has extra AGR points, my number is 7890123456

To get back on topic, the Lake Sure Limited cost so much because the food is so good.
Give me your password, so I can make a direct deposit...
This is the first time I've ever heard that withdrawal was spelled d-e-p-o-s-i-t! I guess you're never too old to learn! :rolleyes:

Well, there are several things to keep in mind.

As one of the others as already mentioned, it may be just more expensive on that date of travel you have entered and it is a longer trip to make from your point of orgin.

The LSL is a daily train with full dining car service (if you wanna call SDS full service) being it usually has an actual dining car.

The LSL also has traffic from BOS joining up with it as well, making two major supply points to fill up seats more quickly from the originating points in the East.

The Cardinal is not a daily service, and it only has diner-lite on it.

The Cardinal starts out of NYP and traverses the NEC to WAS before it makes its trip to the midWest. Not exactly every New Yorkers (or others up that way) idea of a more direct trip to CHI like the LSL has.

But probably the biggest situation would be that both of those trains are only single level equipment, so there are less rooms and seats available to fill on those services with their average consists. And combine that with the non daily service of the Cardinal compared to the LSL, I am sure these prices result on a fairly common basis.

And as you're aware, you also have the daily option of the CL to CHI which uses Superliner equipment thus making more seats available to those in your region allowing prices to be lower than the LSL.

So in regard to those circumstances, I can see the LSL being more costly on a regular basis for those in your region.

Hey at least you still have th option of choosing one of the two trains (or three is the Cardinal is running) to get to CHI even if it may cost more to go via the LSL.

OBS gone freight...

Give me your password, so I can make a direct deposit...
This is the first time I've ever heard that withdrawal was spelled d-e-p-o-s-i-t! I guess you're never too old to learn! :rolleyes:
Rats, they're on to me. :ph34r:
Hey, you tried!!!

:lol:

OBS gone freight...

Well, there are several things to keep in mind.
As one of the others as already mentioned, it may be just more expensive on that date of travel you have entered and it is a longer trip to make from your point of orgin.

The LSL is a daily train with full dining car service (if you wanna call SDS full service) being it usually has an actual dining car.

OBS gone freight...
The LSL has not had a dining car for quite some time now. It uses the same lousy diner-lite the Cardinal uses.

The LSL has not had a dining car for quite some time now. It uses the same lousy diner-lite the Cardinal uses.
Its not that bad... and at least the LSL still has a separate lounge/cafe car. The food isnt bad at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back