Why does the Sunset Limited stop in Ontario instead of somewhere farther east in the Inland Empire?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for fun - does anyone know if the San Bernardino Metrolink line (the one that goes through Covina and Rancho Cucamonga) can accomodate Superliner equipment? If it can, maybe a rerouted Sunset Limited could stop in Claremont and San Bernardino instead. Those two stops have some great station buildings! 😁
Yes it can. When the 6th street bridge in LA was demolished the Chief was rerouted onto that line. And Metrolink cars are just about the same height as superliners

Good question. I don't know the answer, but it is likely for "historical" reasons. The stations at Pomona and North Palm Springs aren't much better. Neither was Indio, when they used to stop there. It would probably be best to route the train on the BNSF through Fullerton and Riverside, like the Southwest Chief, since both cities have better facilities. The Fullerton station is staffed, has secure free parking and better connections to the Pacific Surfliner, Metrolink and local transit. Riverside also has parking, Metrolink and local transit connections.
I would absolutely love that to happen. I live right along the Chief route, and it would be awesome to have another long distance train here. But I doubt Amtrak can be bothered to make that happen

Back