Why don't more "High Profile" people ride the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most Hollywood-type celebrities fly commercial flights... albeit usually in first class (but not always).

peter
Dan Aykroyd and some of his Show Biz pals regularly travel on the PV Patron Express, which is hooked to the rear of Amtrak Trains.

The staff on this Luxury Car are very friendly and will often allow Amtrak Passengers to take a look inside during Long Station stops.

I was fortunate enough to be invited to ride from Grand Junction to Denver one time, including having a Gourmet Lunch( Aykroyd was aboard and signed autographs on the platform,posed for pics etc. and was very friendly) and my SCA on the Zephyr told me that they often held a reception for the Crew on the LD Train that the car was traveling on the night before departure

TIME!

High Profile People HPP) do not own their own time! Someone else has already bought for their time. As a result the luxury of leisurely travel does not exist for HPP.

I suspect that many HPP would love to take a LA to NYC train trip but simply are not allowed the time to do so.

They weren't Amtrak, but the long UP and BNSF office car trains with domes galore that went to Los Angeles for the SuperbOwl did so about a week before the game. Somebody that UP and BNSF was wining and dining -- two long trainloads of somebodies -- had that much time to spare on leisurely travel. (Unless UP and BNSF ran the trains to LA empty to entertain bigwigs on stationary trains* in the leadup to the Big Game.)

*In a LA-region siding or yard where, unlike UP's 8 rail cops protecting hundreds of millions of dollars in freight, I would bet there were plenty of rail cops on patrol. 🤔

Some do. I rode overnight with Liza Minelli in the Bedroom next to mine on the EB. She had two bodyguards and they kept people at a distance. She was not the least bit cordial.

Earlier partner and I each had a Slumbercoach (early Amtrak) room on the LSL and Maureen Stapleton was in a Bedroom at the end. She was terrified of flying and alway traveled by train. And even that was a ordeal for her too. She coerced the Lounge car attendant to start serving early. And when we got down to the Lounge on the way to the Diner she was plowing "boiler makers" down. She was friendly though and actually asked us to sit at her table for a while.

I met a National Geographic writer/photographer (not really a celeb) on the CZ. He was doing a story on rail travel all over the world and was doing the American rail segment. Very interesting chat with him about some of the unbelievable places he had been.

Just remembered I got her autograph for my mom.

Attachments

• 20220219_074034.jpg
    20220219_074034.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220219_074044.jpg
    20220219_074044.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
As a result of the comments that have been posted so far, I now have a better understanding of the fact that celebrities and other high-profile people have taken and STILL DO take the train on occasion. (If, while onboard, these VIPs choose to keep a low profile, then a best effort should be made on the part of their fellow passengers to respect their privacy.) If these celebrities and VIPs would later let it be known that they recently had taken the train, it would certainly be a positive endorsement for choosing to travel via Amtrak.

If I was a celebrity there is no way I'd want to be easily reachable by fanatical conspiracy-minded people with easy access to lethal weaponry but limited mental health care. Being anonymous is a blessing few realize.

I bet there are a good many celebrities who you wouldn't even recognize if you were talking to them if they were without their makeup.

Author/screenwriter Neil Gaiman (he's British, but spends part of his time living in Wisconsin) has frequently posted on social media about taking Amtrak, including bemoaning the situation when the Washington Post wrote about flex dining in 2019:

He may not quite be at the level of celebrity that the thread starter had in mind, but he's definitely very well-known in certain circles. (I think I would probably recognize him if I saw him on the train.)

I've seen or sat with several high profile types when flying in first class. Even more in the lounge in DC but none of them were getting on my long distance trains. I hope to take more long distance train trips but given its current state and pricing I'm not considering it right now.
Interesting in that when I see celebrities (do senators in Washington count?), I never see them in the lounge or in the boarding area; they just appear on board.

The photo below was taken in the WAS Lounge in 2016. General Colin Powell and his wife were in the lounge waiting to board an Acela. I consider General Powell "high profile" as did most everyone else in the lounge who acknowledged his presence with positive remarks or cheers when he rose to board his train.

Hoda Kotb and her mother were in the NYP lounge one Sunday morning while I was waiting to board a train. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was in the NYP lounge a few years ago when several of us were waiting to board trains after the NYC Gathering. Alan and Grace traveled on an Acela a while ago in FC a few seats away from Whoopi Goldberg.Dick and Colin Powell in CA in WUS.JPG

In addition to Amtrak Joe when he was Senator Joe, lots of elected Officials regularly ride the Acelas on the NEC between the Major Cities, especially Washington and New York.

Also Media figures, Entertainment and Sports Stars ( I've seen Charles Barkley in the Philly and New York Lounges several rimes) and just plain Celebs who are famous for being famous.

I actually rode on Amtrak several times with President Biden when he was commuting regularly between Wilmington and DC, and also shared a FC seat on the Acela with the Former Sec of State Henry Kissinger between New York and Washington.( although neither of us speak English very well😄, we managed to communicate, mainly talked about his childhood in Europe and his time @ Harvard before becoming a Major Political Player)

Interesting in that when I see celebrities (do senators in Washington count?), I never see them in the lounge or in the boarding area; they just appear on board.
Lots of VIPs have Limos or Staff that drop them off " just in time" since their Schedules are always so busy, and also many don't like being bothered while in public since they are always "on" and also famous people are" targets " and require Security to ensure their Safety. 🥺

Last edited:
The photo below was taken in the WAS Lounge in 2016. General Colin Powell and his wife were in the lounge waiting to board an Acela. I consider General Powell "high profile" as did most everyone else in the lounge who acknowledged his presence with positive remarks or cheers when he rose to board his train.

Hoda Kotb and her mother were in the NYP lounge one Sunday morning while I was waiting to board a train. Former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was in the NYP lounge a few years ago when several of us were waiting to board trains after the NYC Gathering. Alan and Grace traveled on an Acela a while ago in FC a few seats away from Whoopi Goldberg.View attachment 27277
Is that the torso, arm, legs and a little corner of the spectacles of our Shanghai we see on the right edge of that photo

Last edited:
In addition to Amtrak Joe when he was Senator Joe, lots of elected Officials regularly ride the Acelas on the NEC between the Major Cities, especially Washington and New York.
I should imagine so, as New York is the financial capital of the country and Washington is the political capital, and the Acela is almost as fast as flying with a lot less hassle.

By the way, even for us "grunt" civil servants, they would book us on the Acela between New York and Washington, even though it's technically "business class," and we peons were only supposed to fly "coach." It was definitely cheaper than flying at the government fare. But if you really wanted to be a cheapskate, the Northeast regionals take only about 20-30 minutes longer to do the trip than the Acela.

Is that the torso, arm, legs and a little corner of the spectacles of our Shanghai we see on the right edge of that photo
Yes, it is! This was before, during or after an OTOL fest, I believe.

Is it safe for "celebs" to travel by Amtrak? Apart from the mainly crap standard of Amtrak service, do these folk not need to keep their distance from the general public?
I don't know, I think it is something of a myth that famous people are constantly surrounded by security/entourage and kept away from the public. While that is true for a select few I don't think most celebrities live that way. I spotted famous actors on the street all the time when I lived in NYC (Philip Seymour Hoffman was in my corner grocery one time) and people are always posting pictures of Keanu Reeves on the subway by himself. (There's a video of him offering his seat to a woman with groceries that people love)

Also Media figures, Entertainment and Sports Stars ( I've seen Charles Barkley in the Philly and New York Lounges several rimes) and just plain Celebs who are famous for being famous.

I actually rode on Amtrak several times with President Biden when he was commuting regularly between Wilmington and DC, and also shared a FC seat on the Acela with the Former Sec of State Henry Kissinger between New York and Washington.( although neither of us speak English very well😄, we managed to communicate, mainly talked about his childhood in Europe and his time @ Harvard before becoming a Major Political Player)
I too have chatted with Henry Kissinger. He came in the DC lounge and sat next to me. It was hard to know what to say to someone like that but we managed some small talk and then his train was called. Al Sharpton came in once with several large fellows who did not sit down. He is quite a small guy. Newt Gingrich was also working the lounge one evening shaking hands and all smiles like he was looking for votes:)

I once bumped into former DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson on the Cap Limited during the summer of 2019. We spoke for a bit while waiting for our flex meals. He told me he enjoys taking the train from DC to Chicago.

Back