Why don't more "High Profile" people ride the train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By "high Profile" are we talking
"Celebs -- public performers for profit"? They use private jets and have makeup artists waiting after every flight for their next "appearance"
Or people like Zelenskiy who have real importance -- maybe surprise secret private military jet.
"high Profile means wanna be, or "can't help being" a target.
Silly question, considering.
Amtrak won't make you "high profile" but also won't make controversial "high profile" clowns more "high profile" -- that's good for the majority of us - zum Teufel with most "High Profile" losers

He was on that TV show a lot. She also was marred to Troy Donahue in the 60s
Actually, I think it was Tommy Gallagher, her middle husband.

Of course, Bob Newhart is from Chicago! He came back a few years ago for the dedication of the new theater space at Loyola University, of which he's an alumnus.
And explained his surreal commute to Evanston...

I think a public figure could get away with not being recognized on the train and have a nice relaxing incognito journey. All they would have to do is dress casually and not draw attention to themselves.

If we noticed them at all, it would probably be a reaction like “If that girl wore nice clothes and put on some makeup and got her hair done, she’d look just like Kate Middleton.”😊😁

I think a public figure could get away with not being recognized on the train and have a nice relaxing incognito journey. All they would have to do is dress casually and not draw attention to themselves.

If we noticed them at all, it would probably be a reaction like “If that girl wore nice clothes and put on some makeup and got her hair done, she’d look just like Kate Middleton.”😊😁
That’s the way I roll. 🤓

Yesterday at the Metropolitan Lounge in Washington, I got to see the passengers lined up to take the sleepers on the Capitol Limited. While, of course, they weren't homeless bums off the street, they did look like a bit downmarket as far as dress and demeanor. On the other hand, when they loaded the Acela, a couple of minutes later, those folks, who were mostly traveling first class, I suppose, looked just as scruffy. In fact I think the crowd getting on my Northeast Regional was just a little better dressed.

As others have said, I think all of the real high profile richie-riches now take private jets or limos. (with some exceptions.)

There's a a well known Aussie actress who is well known for taking commuter rail, both in Oz (Sydney) and London - her name escapes me (Cate Blanchette maybe?) right now at the moment.

Yesterday at the Metropolitan Lounge in Washington, I got to see the passengers lined up to take the sleepers on the Capitol Limited. While, of course, they weren't homeless bums off the street, they did look like a bit downmarket as far as dress and demeanor. On the other hand, when they loaded the Acela, a couple of minutes later, those folks, who were mostly traveling first class, I suppose, looked just as scruffy. In fact I think the crowd getting on my Northeast Regional was just a little better dressed.

As others have said, I think all of the real high profile richie-riches now take private jets or limos. (with some exceptions.)
Or Helicopters!

There's a a well known Aussie actress who is well known for taking commuter rail, both in Oz (Sydney) and London - her name escapes me (Cate Blanchette maybe?) right now at the moment.
Only other high profile Aussie actress I can think of off the top of my head is Nichole Kidman. I can picture Cate Blanchett on a commuter train, Nichole Kidman, not so much.

On the other hand, the knowledge that high profile people are riding the train would certainly help to encourage members of the general public to consider riding the train, too. (Anything that helps to reduce the number of cars on the road is having a positive impact on the environment.) As has been pointed out, celebrities and other high-profile people traveling on long distance trains will most likely book bedroom accommodations which would allow them to keep a lower profile than sitting in the first-class section of a commercial airliner.
I just don't see how a so called high profile person would help to encourage the public to consider using trains. As much as I enjoy Amtrak, outside of the NEC Amtrak just isn't a viable option for most and there are other more efficient travel options avaliable.

Only other high profile Aussie actress I can think of off the top of my head is Nichole Kidman. I can picture Cate Blanchett on a commuter train, Nichole Kidman, not so much.
If Nicole Kidman wore no makeup, slightly scruffy clothes, and talked with her native accent, she'd easily fall into the "if she..., she'd look just like Nicole Kidman." Nicole Kidman the actress talks with an upscale Brit or American accent. Nicole Kidman herself has a delightful Aussie accent you could cut with a knife.

An opinion: Part of the low profile by high profile people taking the train is not getting badgered by fans, altho I would expect higher profile people to be in rooms or biz class.

If they don't know you're on the train, you don't have to fend off paparazzi at the station. Imagine some Big Name Hollywood type moving thru LA Union Station, trailing luggage and reporters.

Imagine any High Profile person trailing reporters and fans at any major Amtrak station. Or any station or platform. So, High Profile probably keeping a low profile.
/opinion

I agree. High profile people in Amtrak stations would be a problem. Also, the 1950's Super Chief was a reasonable way to get from Chicago to LA, as I don't think airline transportation became prominent until the 1960s. Today, I don't see much potential for high profile people to be encouraged to take Amtrak. Maybe a revival of the American Orient Express and/or Grand Luxe might be possible. Perhaps using dedicated flag stops, away from Amtrak stations, for boarding and detraining It could be both a cruise train and a transportation train for high profile people. I think one of the reasons for the demise of the American Orient Express and Grande Luxe was the fact that the AOE and Grand Luxe trains needed to hitch on to an Amtrak train. Possibly they could have survived if the deluxe trains used their own loco, but the freights would not approve, no doubt.

Maybe the best chance to a truly luxury, cruise train would be an American version of the Rocky Mountaineer, from Seattle to Glacier Park.

“High Profile People”, the way I perceive them, are also often “high achiever’s”, and I think their time is much too valuable to spend on riding most trains.
Besides that, I don’t think they would have much tolerance for the inconsistent level of service that Amtrak delivers. JMHO…

They do, we just don’t know about it, I was on the Southwest Chief and Gene Shalit from the Today Show was in a bedroom from Chicago to Albuquerque. I saw him in the Lounge for sleeping car passengers. They boarded him separately without no one knowing. He never came out of his room the entire trip. The only people who knew he was on the train were the people who saw him in the Lounge. I was also on the City Of New Orleans and Pearl Bailey who was a avid Amtrak Rider was on the train. The only reason I knew about it was I overheard 2 Amtrak Employees talk about it. Actress Elizabeth Montgomery was also a avid Amtrak Rider. Actor Micheal Gross from Family Ties is a frequent Southwest Chief Rider. They are out there. We just don’t know their on the same train as us.

They do, we just don’t know about it, I was on the Southwest Chief and Gene Shalit from the Today Show was in a bedroom from Chicago to Albuquerque. I saw him in the Lounge for sleeping car passengers. They boarded him separately without no one knowing. He never came out of his room the entire trip. The only people who knew he was on the train were the people who saw him in the Lounge. I was also on the City Of New Orleans and Pearl Bailey who was a avid Amtrak Rider was on the train. The only reason I knew about it was I overheard 2 Amtrak Employees talk about it. Actress Elizabeth Montgomery was also a avid Amtrak Rider. Actor Micheal Gross from Family Ties is a frequent Southwest Chief Rider. They are out there. We just don’t know their on the same train as us.
I agree. Most “celebrities”, with notable exceptions, such as the late John Madden, seem to seek privacy when riding.
That said, I still don’t think you will see current “A lister’s” aboard…

I agree. Most “celebrities”, with notable exceptions, such as the late John Madden, seem to seek privacy when riding.
And that's a good thing, too. The kindergarten walk; the cattle line at the gate, that's bad enough without having to worry about paparazzi and crowds.

I agree. High profile people in Amtrak stations would be a problem. Also, the 1950's Super Chief was a reasonable way to get from Chicago to LA, as I don't think airline transportation became prominent until the 1960s. Today, I don't see much potential for high profile people to be encouraged to take Amtrak. Maybe a revival of the American Orient Express and/or Grand Luxe might be possible. Perhaps using dedicated flag stops, away from Amtrak stations, for boarding and detraining It could be both a cruise train and a transportation train for high profile people. I think one of the reasons for the demise of the American Orient Express and Grande Luxe was the fact that the AOE and Grand Luxe trains needed to hitch on to an Amtrak train. Possibly they could have survived if the deluxe trains used their own loco, but the freights would not approve, no doubt.

Maybe the best chance to a truly luxury, cruise train would be an American version of the Rocky Mountaineer, from Seattle to Glacier Park.
I was fortunate enough to get to ride on the Patron Tequila Express PV from Grand Junction to Denver and Dan Akroyd was aboard, very friendly and personable, he signed autographs and posed for pics during the Grand Junction Station Stop!

PVs would be the best way for Celebs to travel that like to ride Trains and dont want hassles!

And I honestly think if they do, we won’t know about it.

Back