Why is BC so expensive from BUF the end of April?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gaspeamtrak

Lead Service Attendant
I booked my trip to Richmond VA earlier this month and on train # 280 the fare seems to be over $100 for BC?(leaving on May 1) I don't mind paying $30 to $35 usual fee?

But over $100 is a bit much for what they are providing! Can anybody help me?

Also on our return trip I'm trying to snag a roomette on the Lakeshore for Saturday May 2,2015 but the price is kinda of high right now.I have been checking every night and every morning when I get up.

I think the pricing changes around 03:00am PT

Any ideas/help would be appreciated!

Thanks...

I must be missing something here. The cheapest Business Class fare on 280 (and 83) I just found was US$270! And you say it was usually $30 to $35? But you booked it for something over $100? I know the blind monkey that Amtrak uses to pick the fare du jour can get a little rambunctious at times, but this is way beyond my comprehension. And the exchange rate can't have that much to do with it.

Please tell me what I'm missing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the fee he's referring to is the business class premium, on top of the coach price. Eg, ordinarily coach is x dollars and business class is x+35 dollars, but now it's x+100 dollars.

I think the fee he's referring to is the business class premium, on top of the coach price. Eg, ordinarily coach is x dollars and business class is x+35 dollars, but now it's x+100 dollars.
Thanks. Duh: why didn't that occur to me - don't answer that! :p

Business class is no longer YX+J. I believe it is now either YD+JX or YX+JX. (for those who do not know how amtrak fares work, what I am saying is that BC, much like sleeper fares, are demand based based on accommodation, not just based on the overall loading of the train.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back