Why is Coach so expensive?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
I'm wanting to ride coach from Kansas City to New Orleans late June 2015. Those dates aren't up yet to buy, so I tried May 2015 instead to check out the price. I was stunned to see that round trip in Coach is $484. Does that sound right?

Probably because you have to change in Chicago. It's a 7hr trip northm then a 20hr trip back south.

peter

I'm wanting to ride coach from Kansas City to New Orleans late June 2015. Those dates aren't up yet to buy, so I tried May 2015 instead to check out the price. I was stunned to see that round trip in Coach is $484. Does that sound right?
1,371 miles each way and a 32 hour journey including layover, so yes.

Try closer in dates. The 11 month out dates may all be locked at the higher bucket prices. I entered in August 1 though 10 for KCY to NOL one way at Amsnag and get mostly $168 to $255 for coach. Amsnag shows 4 connection options, 2 of which include a bus in IL to connect to the CONO.

Try closer in dates. The 11 month out dates may all be locked at the higher bucket prices. I entered in August 1 though 10 for KCY to NOL one way at Amsnag and get mostly $168 to $255 for coach. Amsnag shows 4 connection options, 2 of which include a bus in IL to connect to the CONO.
Yes, the days of inventory almost always opening up at low bucket is past. My rule of thumb is to keep checking because depending on the route and the dates, the sweet spot in pricing can come anywhere between 9 and 3 months out.

Others have given you good advice, I'd keep checking on amsnag.net and when you find a price you like book it! Revenue management has come to Amtrak in a big way and supply and demand determine the fares!

The Missouri River Runner#316 from KCy-STL is a nice trip Lv KCY @400pm/Arv STL @ 940pm/ then Bus 8359 Lv STL @ 11pm/Arv Carbondale @ 100AM/ Catch CONO@ 126am.(guaranteed connection as Thruway bus)

If you ride the SWC#4 from KCY-CHI Lv KCY @ 715am/ Arv 315pm. There will be a 4:45 hr layover in CHI @ Union Station

CONO#59 Lv.@ 800pm!!!

Because your perception of expensive is somewhat off.
Naw....that's not it. Been riding the rails for years. It's taken a big jump.

Thank you for everyone's input. I considered the STL route, but didn't want to have to wait till 1 a.m. to get on board (and that's only IF it's running on time!)

$168 seems to be the lowest-available coach fare one way, which would roughly translate to $336 round-trip. At least for me, this is what I'm used to seeing from Amtrak...but I'm also used to seeing $150+ one-way NPN-NYP.

Thank you for everyone's input. I considered the STL route, but didn't want to have to wait till 1 a.m. to get on board (and that's only IF it's running on time!)
Supply and demand. Amtrak can charge that much because people are willing to pay that much.

or the op's finances are limited which gives a different perspective
I didn't see the OP mention financial limitations.

$242 one way isn't unreasonable for a 27 hour trip. I've seen higher, and as others have mentioned, lower prices are also available. It is also very possible that the dates you want to go in June are never going to go down - depends on the demand. However, if you are flexible in your dates, starting next month use Amsnag to find your best fares.

Last edited by a moderator:
the op didn't mention financial limitations. just a question about a fare being expensive. gml opined that, as i read it, that the op doesn't know expensive when he sees it. i was just pointing out the general truth that one's financial position gives one their perspective on cost. it applies to me. it may not to the op

Supply and demand. Amtrak can charge that much because people are willing to pay that much.
Looks like 2014 may end up a down year as the price increases and service decreases and broken schedules finally catch up with Amtrak. Not that I would expect Amtrak to reverse course on any of this. If anything the pressure to raise prices and slash costs will only increase further.

Last edited by a moderator:
the op didn't mention financial limitations. just a question about a fare being expensive. gml opined that, as i read it, that the op doesn't know expensive when he sees it. i was just pointing out the general truth that one's financial position gives one their perspective on cost. it applies to me. it may not to the op
You are right. I just noticed that word "or" at the beginning of the sentence. Really makes a difference in interpretation! :)

Something being expensive is a matter in strict relativity. $10,000 is insanely expensive for a new wristwatch, cheap for a new car. A Mercedes S-class is hyper expensive for a new car at $95k stripped, but that is cheap for a house.

$242 is not particularly expensive as a charge for the travel proposed.

Message to some of you. Not everyone is rich. Not everyone has a Mercedes. And not everyone even has a house. For some people the cost of Amtrak is expensive, especially when you consider all the time involved where the person can't work and can't get paid. America is quickly turning into the land of the haves and have nots. I'm sorry Amtrak is following the same model.

NOTE - this is not our member, Devil's Advocate, who posted this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back