Why is the Palmetto still in Savannah (4/2/19)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VentureForth

Engineer
I just drove past the Savannah Amtrak station and saw that the Palmetto is still sitting there. Should have departed 3 hours ago. Anybody know what it's doing stuck at home?

I just drove past the Savannah Amtrak station and saw that the Palmetto is still sitting there. Should have departed 3 hours ago. Anybody know what it's doing stuck at home?

Yesterday's 89 only made it as far as BWI according to TransitDocs. Train supposedly left Richmond, VA yesterday as 90 but didn't have any times listed until WAS.

Today's 89 again made it as far as DC (arrived 0922) and hasn't moved since. There isn't a 90 yet, but it apparently is supposed to depart DC this evening. I'll try to get more info for you.

No need to suspect. it has been listed on the website for quite sometime.

Track Work Affects Palmetto Trains 89 and 90

Track Work Affects Palmetto Trains 89 and 90
Effective Monday - Thursday, April 1 - May 2, 2019
Due to track work being performed by CSX, Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 will be impacted as described below.

April 1 - 4, 8 - 11, 15 - 18, 22 - 25 and 29 - May 2
  • Palmetto Trains 89 and 90 which normally operate between New York and Savannah will operate between New York and Washington, only.
  • Trains are cancelled between Washington and Savannah, with no alternate transportation provided.
  • Thruway Buses 6089, 6090, 6189 and 6190 are cancelled
The set in Savannah arrived on Sunday evening and will hold for Friday morning.

Here, let me fix your quote, VentureForth

Sorry. Don't mean to sound like a complete and total idiot. Finding service disruptions on a smartphone is not all that easy. The (words removed since we can seemingly no longer line out words) entire Amtrak website is very difficult to navigate.

This should probably go into the Amtrak website thread, but it is unlikely you would have found this on the regular Amtrak website. You would probably use logic and look for this advisory under "Service Advisory," since ....you know....that would make sense.

But, NOOOOOO. These days, they tuck it under "Passenger Advisories." This has never made sense to me. Aren't Service Advisories also Passenger Advisories? Why make the them separate areas? Granted, Service Advisories is generally used for immediate, last minute or unscheduled advisories. At the end of the day, the information should be in one place or you should define the which area covers the circumstances.

Back