why not 1st class coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chefrhodes81

Train Attendant
hello

I have always wondered. Why doesn't amtrak have first class coach.

the ticket could be a little more than coach. a standard coach could be used putting it next to the sleepers. First class coach passengers would get meals included and the use of the shower in the sleeping cars. also reserved seat assignments. the two seats on each side of the asile would count as one seat. Everyone in first class coach would get 2 seats to thereselves. Also on the coast starlight firstclass coach passengers would get the use of the pacific parlor car.

So what do ya think of my idea?

John

On Amtrak, everyone in coach IS first class coach. Compare it to the airlines - it is first class. The meal package is a good idea, but letting coach passengers use the sleeping cars showers would create serious problems as there are not enough showers for everyone to use, not to mention the fact that there is only a limited amount of water Amtrak can carry between stops. It would run out quickly if "first class" coach passengers were using it too. I like the idea of being able to sit where I want on the train rather than being assigned to a specific seat. What if I am assigned in a place I don't want to sit? I would rather pick my own seat, thank you. It is good enough that Amtrak guarantees you will have a seat when you board the long distance trains - I don't need a specific number. I don't think it is necessary whatsoever to have 2 seats to sleep in, unless you are seriously obese and take up two seats. This is the problem with passenger rail in this country - everyone wants an entire empty area around themselves and doesn't want to sit or sleep next to someone else. I have slept comfortably in a single seat next to a "stranger" on the train before. There are usually very nice people on the train - the current situation gives everyone a chance to meet a new friend. As for the Pacific Parlor Car on the Coast Starlight, I can't even imagine the shortages of seats, supplies, and snacks that would occur if "first class" coach passengers were allowed in.

In addition to the problems described above, a "first class" coach section would only create more work for the conductors and they would have to do more "policing" [sic?] of passengers. While I disagree with the idea of a "first class" coach section, I like the idea of some kind of meal plan. It would be nice if coach passengers could "add meals" when they buy their coach ticket. Maybe something like: a regular one-way ticket from Reno to Denver is $70, the same ticket with meals included could be $95. The "meals included" would be whatever is being served between the two points on the specific trip, even if the train is running late.

Not to mention that the real estate is valuable too. Think about it, if each person was allowed two coach seats, that's about the same amout of space from the car that an economy bedroom would have. If you look at it from Amtrak's point of view, that probably wouldn't be worth it...not enough $s per area.

I dont necessarily need two seats, but one of the main reasons I dont go coach is that I need that shower in the morning. I know Amtrak does not have the resources for this idea, however showers in coach on the long distance trains would be a great addition.

Actually, they already are sort of getting at the idea of first class coach with the various business class, club class, etc they arleady have.

About the meal plan idea, it has been tried before. The Santa Fe railroad used to sell you a meal plan for the entire tirp which saved you money. It worked back then.

One point about showers in coach...it would take more than one, probably, because a coahseats a lot more people than a sleeper sleeps. There could be quite a scramble over it...might be more trouble than it is worth. It works better in sleeping cars since they have fewer people anyway, not to mention private showers in larger rooms take some of the demand off of a public shower.

Would First Class Coach passengers be able to use Metropolitan Lounges? One would think so but I'd hate to see any more people crammed into the Chicago lounge. As things are now, it can be pretty crowded in there.

In theory, however, I think the idea of a First Class Coach ticket could be a good idea. (Emphasis on "could".) A lot of discussion and decisions on what would be included in that class of ticket would obviously be necessary, based upon current equipment and staffing as well as future plans. While I don't think this is a high priority, I don't think the idea should be summarily dismissed.

seajay

chefrhodes81 said:
I have always wondered. Why doesn't amtrak have first class coach.
Well technically, Amtrak does have first class coach. Granted it's not on the long distance trains, but it does exist on the NE Corridor on both the Acela's and the Metroliner's.

My thoughts on this idea however go more like this. I'd make a first class car using the same ideas as the Acela & Metroliner cars. Instead of 2 X 2 seating, I'd use 1 X 2 seating. This allows for wider seats to make your trip more comfortable. These seats should also have the calf rest that the Metroliner's do. Unfortunately they were eliminated on the Acela's. This gives each passenger more room than the standard seat, but is not quite as wasteful of the space were you to sell two standard seats to one person.

You could also go ahead and add meals to the ticket, and I suppose that if these were new cars, you could add one or two showers in the car. This keeps the sleeping cars for those passengers only. Under no circumstances should First Class passengers be allowed into the sleeping cars. Those passengers have paid a premium for their privacy and perks. Also, as JCCollins mentioned, the sleeper cars can't carry enough water for that many people to shower. I also don't think that FC passengers should have access to any special lounges, like the Pacific Parlor car.

This First Class idea would give passengers a middle ground choice between "Sleeper Class" and Coach. It comes with some perks over coach, but it doesn't include all the perks of "Sleeper Class".

I suppose that it would also be nice to know just how well the Business Class service on the Palmetto is doing. Has anyone noticed any stories and/or numbers on the Palmetto's BC? While this might not be the best route to have tested such a service, it would at least give us some idea on just how receptive passengers are to an enhanced LD service.

Just to expand on what Alan alrerady said on the Michigan/Chicago trains they have something called Custom class which is the same as business class with snacks included. On the Pacific Surfliner route in California they also have business class which includes at the very least coffee and the newspaper. They are supposed to initiate this on the Capitol Corridoe but when I asked the CCJPA they said it would be a bit longer than they anticipated.

I like the idea of the FC Coach.

As for the unassigned seats, I guess it would work as long as people don't move around afterword. Keep in mind those groups boarding at later stops might not be able to sit together, as people tend to spread out. The 2-1 Seating might work for that, but still it might not. When I took a Metroliner in 1999 my dad and I boarded in Newark, but couldn't sit together until Philadelphia.

Come to think about its similar yet different to slumbercoach. While you don't get a bed, you do get meals, something slumbercoach didn't offer.

Seatchecks were designed to hold a person's seat so that they are guaranteed to have it when they return. As for people boarding at later stops on the line, that's what conductors are for. They can request two single people sit next to each other so that a couple can sit together. Usually people can resolve this issue themselves without the help of the conductors.

Some airlines actually offer a "Premium Coach" where you still get a coach seat but it's more towards the front of the aircraft, plus you are served better meals, free snacks, and alcoholic drinks are free. Amtrak could do something like this where one Coach would be designated as a premium Coach where each passenger still occupies one seat, but meals are included plus non-alcoholic drinks in the Lounge Car.

As a regular LD coach passenger, I like the idea of a "Premium" Coach class. Instead of a separate coach section or car, perhaps it could be simply an upgrade where you sit in regular coach seating, but you get the free (non-alcoholic) drinks and Dining Car meals. It could be worked where the ticket stub says something like "PREMIUM COACH" instead of "RESERVD COACH" (Yes, that's how "reserved" is spelled on the tickets). Then, when the passenger wants something to drink or sits in the Dining Car, they just show the ticket stub to the attendant.

Personally, I'd be willing to pay $25-30 for this upgrade, as I usually spend about that much on the train for food and drinks anyways.

tp49 said:
Just to expand on what Alan alrerady said on the Michigan/Chicago trains they have something called Custom class which is the same as business class with snacks included. On the Pacific Surfliner route in California they also have business class which includes at the very least coffee and the newspaper. They are supposed to initiate this on the Capitol Corridoe but when I asked the CCJPA they said it would be a bit longer than they anticipated.
I have traveled custom class in the midwest, and it is not worth the cost. The seating is identical to the coaches, and on my last trip on custom class, there was LESS legroom than coach due to a strange seat configuration.

Custom or Business class however, is not the same as First Class on a Metroliner or Acela train. I'm suggesting a true First Class car, not a business or Custom class car.

The First Class seats are much larger, with far more legroom. Plus a First Class seat on either of the above trains, includes a meal and free drinks. That includes all alcholic drinks too, as much as you can handle. Granted they don't have a full bar; but one can get wine, beer, and several hard liquor drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back