Why not stopovers on AGR trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't see Tom's either.
Strange - as I see mine and Anthony's.

Will have to look into this problem.

Can you see this one?

i-x5H7zzZ-S.jpg
Yep, that works.

I could see the links for the attachments in both of your posts, but when I click on it it says I don't have permission.

Until this year the upgrade coupon was good for a "trip" not a just a "travel segment or leg ".

I have that statement in emails from two previous AGR Insiders who replaced extra upgrade coupons I was required to use when agents mistakenly asked for multiple coupons on Multi-City ticketing.

The upgrade coupons should be good for a trip not segments.There is no extra cost to Amtrak for trips using Multi-City ticketing versus regular ticketing.. Why are they charging their customers with coupons more too travel with Multi-City ticketing than a regular ticket .

Example---Both trips the same distance, same day, and same FC service provided.
Acela trip A-C Regular ticket costs $200. Upgrade to FC costs one coupon ($100).
Acela trip A-B-C Multi-City ticket costs $200. Upgrade to FC costs two coupons($200).

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if they specifically changed the language to segment because of the popularity on FT of booking multi-city to garner the extra bonuses?

Intriguing.

I wonder if they specifically changed the language to segment because of the popularity on FT of booking multi-city to garner the extra bonuses?
Intriguing.
I have been using Multi-city ticketing long before I ever heard of FlyerTalk forums.

The Multi-city ticketing option is offered by Amtrak and is, therefore, a legitimate option. AGR apparently does not think that is a legitimate option for upgrade coupon use, thereby requiring multiple coupons for a Multi-city ticket. AGR set the program up to give points based on dollars spent or city pairs ticketed. There is no gaming the system here. There is no loophole. We purchase what is offered by Amtrak . We expect AGR too recognize the Multi-city ticketing as a legitimate ticketing function.

If the two types of tickets cost the same then the upgrades should cost the same, not double.

I always thought a connection of less than 24 hours was called a layover rather than a stopover. I do agree that having actual stopovers at major connecting points on AGR awards would be a great improvement for customers and Amtrak alike. Why should the transit customer have to stress about missed connections and downgraded accommodations? Why should the transportation provider have to pay for lodging and meals when the customer is willing and happy to cover their time on their own dime so long as they can plan for it? Give the customer the option of a single stopover per award and everybody benefits. Or at least that's how I see it. I'm sure there's another side to this where anything that changes the status quo is a terrible idea.

Accommodation charges are always point to point, and don't quite work the same as a through rail fare. Amtrak generally charges more if you break up your occupancy of an accommodation over two trains as opposed to staying on the same train for the entire distance, reflecting what the market will bear for those shorter distances as independent tickets. That is why the coupons are only valid for a single segment - there really is a higher sale value for two separate tickets than just one.

Intriguing.
I have been using Multi-city ticketing long before I ever heard of FlyerTalk forums.

The Multi-city ticketing option is offered by Amtrak and is, therefore, a legitimate option. AGR apparently does not think that is a legitimate option for upgrade coupon use, thereby requiring multiple coupons for a Multi-city ticket. AGR set the program up to give points based on dollars spent or city pairs ticketed. There is no gaming the system here. There is no loophole. We purchase what is offered by Amtrak . We expect AGR too recognize the Multi-city ticketing as a legitimate ticketing function.

If the two types of tickets cost the same then the upgrades should cost the same, not double.

Accommodation charges are always point to point, and don't quite work the same as a through rail fare. Amtrak generally charges more if you break up your occupancy of an accommodation over two trains as opposed to staying on the same train for the entire distance, reflecting what the market will bear for those shorter distances as independent tickets. That is why the coupons are only valid for a single segment - there really is a higher sale value for two separate tickets than just one.

It was standard Amtrak operating procedure for one upgrade coupon too cover both legs of a same day Multi-city ticket until this year. I can produce twenty or more tickets where I did this over five years. Perhaps you and other riders did not know that was allowed. I have AGR emails from 2012 and 2010 affirming that only one coupon was needed. It just makes sense that the upgrade charge should be the same for tickets that cost the same between same end points with the same services provided. Please see my example again.

Example: Both trips the same distance, same day, and same FC service provided.

Acela trip A-C Regular ticket costs $200. Upgrade to FC one coupon ($100 value). FC if paid with cash =$100

Acela trip A-B-C Multi-City ticket costs $200. Upgrade to FC two coupons($200 value).

This many year Select+ rider has severely reduced my Acela trips because of this new change.

Last edited by a moderator:
First class accom charge on Acela, WAS-BOS = $130

First class accom charge on Acela, WAS-NYP ($116) + NYP-BOS ($83) = $199

Not quite double, sure, but more nonetheless.

First class accom charge on Acela, WAS-BOS = $130First class accom charge on Acela, WAS-NYP ($116) + NYP-BOS ($83) = $199

Not quite double, sure, but more nonetheless.
That is true for those particular stations,but I have never paid cash for Acela First Class.

The point is that using upgrade coupons, I now have to pay double what I did during the last five years for the same FC upgrades ! That is a 50% devaluation of the AGR coupon incentive program for those of us using legal Multi-city ticketing. I have lost the incentive too try for Select + for next year.

I just did a trip using my AGR points from STL-KCY then KCY-LAX and I chose a 7 hour layover in Kansas City, MO I wasn't aware of the "24 hour" rule. Just wondering, is that stipulated on the AGR website?

Here are the two pertinent bullet points from the AGR website.

• Where a published route requires a connection between two segments, a later connecting service may be chosen as long as it departs on the same date as the connection originally offered.
  • Where a published route contains a valid connection of 23 hours, 30 minutes or less, an overnight stay in the connecting city is permitted at the passenger's own expense. (Example: one-way travel from New York to El Paso, where the published route requires an overnight connection in New Orleans, would be permitted on the same redemption.)
It sounds like you may have taken advantage of the first one.

Currently on Acela #2175 crawling down Metro-North's New Haven Line (Feel like I'm almost home in distance but not in time) in First Class on a MultiCity Ticket BOS-NYP-NWK (NYP-NWK tomorrow). I had a very friendly agent in the Boston ClubAcela upgrade me (who was nice enough to accept an upgrade coupon that expired at the end of July, I also had a currently valid coupon) and got an apology that no, all segments on a multi-city ticket no longer are upgraded (she seemed to know about the previous policy) when you use a coupon. I didn't really care about my 14 minute NYP to NWK ride in First Class for the extra 100 AGR points free of charge for only PATH fare back but its good to know for next time that if I ever book BOS-NYP-WAS I need two upgrade coupons.

I truly find it a matter of some amusement when people try to tell Anthony what the AGR rules are :) I usually go to ask him what they really are after I have heard half a dozen interpretations about what each individual thinks they are. :p

I truly find it a matter of some amusement when people try to tell Anthony what the AGR rules are :) I usually go to ask him what they really are after I have heard half a dozen interpretations about what each individual thinks they are. :p
This doesn't sound like the Jisnu that I have met and traveled with. I have re read the entire thread and nobody including myself has said that Anthony's post was in error. I respect what Anthony has accomplished with this forum. I replied to Anthony's post with my actual experiences using AGR upgrade coupons on Multi-city ticketing for the past five years. AGR affirmed in emails to me that the coupons were good for complete trips not segments and replaced coupons that I was charge extra. This has all changed with the 2013 upgrade coupons and Anthony, myself, and others confirm this change.My posts have questioned why AGR in 2013 has decided to devalue it's coupon reward program by not recognizing the validity of Multi-city ticketing for through trips. That is all.

I don't think anyone is telling Anthony what the AGR rules are. I think we are just saying that in the past multi-city ticketing on acela worked with one upgrade coupon. I myself speculated that maybe folks were breaking the rules in actually doing that in the past or got generous agents who didn't actually know the rules, since with Amtrak, as we all know, YMMV.

Clearly the policy changed for 2013. No one knows why. Maybe Anthony knows why and can tell us. Maybe someone will go pester the AGR insider and ask on FT.

Found this on the AGR website:

Where a published route contains a valid connection of 23 hours, 30 minutes or less, an overnight stay in the connecting city is permitted at the passenger's own expense. (Example: one-way travel from New York to El Paso, where the published route requires an overnight connection in New Orleans, would be permitted on the same redemption.

https://www.amtrakguestrewards.com/info/redemptionguidelines

Back