Why Superliners and Not Viewliners?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, actually, what I was trying to say was that Amtrak carefully considered the benefits and problems with single-level and bi-level cars... but completely forgot about handicapped accessibility. Didn't even figure it into their planning. Which is excusable in the mid-1970s, though not great (Rehabilitation Act was passed in 1973).
A modern design for a bi-level car with low-level entry ought to be able to incorporate a small elevator of some manner. Certainly buses have wheelchair lifts; The train car 'elevator' would merely need to lift further vertically.

If I recall correctly, even with the original Superliners it was noted (and no doubt quickly rejected) that retaining the use of steam generators for heating and air conditioning would also permit a steam powered elevator. Again, we can do better in 2016.

That's true, and elevator of some description could be installed in a new iteration of superliner style cars. But, would that not increase the price of the car and lower the capacity? Because it would surely take up the space of a roomette if not a full room.

In my opinion, the Superliners are superior to any single-level equipment. The ride, at least on the upper level, is smooth, the interiors are roomier and since they haul more passengers per car, are more efficient.
More efficient, I can see. Smoother ride, not so much, because I suspect the ride is a much stronger function of the track than the car. (Bad track will cause a bad ride regardless of car; good track will be at least a satisfactory ride, regardless of the car.) But I really quibble with the roomier: does anyone who has actually slept in an upper bunk on both a Viewliner and a Superliner agree with that statement? Even aside from the headroom in the upper bunk, I believe the Viewliner roomette holds more luggage and allows more dressing area when the room is in the night configuration.
This is not to suggest that efficiency does not trump passenger convenience in the railroad's plans.

But I really quibble with the roomier: does anyone who has actually slept in an upper bunk on both a Viewliner and a Superliner agree with that statement? Even aside from the headroom in the upper bunk, I believe the Viewliner roomette holds more luggage and allows more dressing area when the room is in the night configuration.
Concur. View liners are significantly roomier.

One other possible issue -- staffing.

One sleeping car attendant is needed for one Superliner sleeper. Two sleeping car attendants would be needed for two Viewliner sleepers.

That's true, and elevator of some description could be installed in a new iteration of superliner style cars. But, would that not increase the price of the car and lower the capacity? Because it would surely take up the space of a roomette if not a full room.
Well, a precedent has been made with the new Viewliner II's. They lost an entire roomette to their new toilet rooms. So, if some new Superliner design needed to loose a roomette to a lift/elevator, so be it.

IMHO, one could have a small elevator, with the stairs "wrapped" around it.

So if we were ever to do that he would need to be in the accessible room, and would most likely have to stay in it for the duration of the trip, which is not fun in the slightest. A single level train would be much more traverseable for him as there would be no stairs and it would be a lot easier for someone else to help him walk down the train. I guess that was my main motivation behind asking the benefits of double level cars, especially on long distance trains.
Don't wheelchair restricted passengers in the current Viewliner handicapped room, also have to stay in there for most of their trip? I mean, the hallways, "dog legs" (what's between bedrooms and roomettes), and those inter-car walkways, aren't exactly wheelchair friendly. I mean, on the current Viewliners, someone in a wheelchair is expect to go directly into their room, and no further.

So if we were ever to do that he would need to be in the accessible room, and would most likely have to stay in it for the duration of the trip, which is not fun in the slightest. A single level train would be much more traverseable for him as there would be no stairs and it would be a lot easier for someone else to help him walk down the train. I guess that was my main motivation behind asking the benefits of double level cars, especially on long distance trains.
Don't wheelchair restricted passengers in the current Viewliner handicapped room, also have to stay in there for most of their trip? I mean, the hallways, "dog legs" (what's between bedrooms and roomettes), and those inter-car walkways, aren't exactly wheelchair friendly. I mean, on the current Viewliners, someone in a wheelchair is expect to go directly into their room, and no further.
The handicap room of the car closest to the diner is on the diner end of that car. And the new diners will have a handicap table on the end of the diner car that connects to that car. I believe there is some sort of handicap seating in the current diners, but am not sure.

Here's a video of 8400 which is the Viewliner Diner prototype. As you can see, the table on the right a the end of the car has a chair, not a booth, so a wheelchair presumably could go there instead of the chair.

Maybe they'll have made that last one more accessible? I remember from the original video where Boardman showed off the new cars, (and I don't know whether this is PR drivel or true) he said there was more space to move around.

One other possible issue -- staffing.

One sleeping car attendant is needed for one Superliner sleeper. Two sleeping car attendants would be needed for two Viewliner sleepers.
If Amtrak follows through on the LSA plan discussed in the Crescent PIP report and what was indicated a year or two back in the Amtrak Inspector General report on the Viewliner II order, the typical staffing will become 2 attendants for 3 Viewliner sleepers. The attendants would split the responsibility for the center car. This would reduce staffing costs and increase revenue by freeing up the LSA roomette in the center sleeper car for revenue sale.

So then they should be the same.
I would expect there to be at least some minor design and equipment changes in the Viewliner II diner cars from the 8400 (with regards to the interior, The frame, electrical, trucks will be the result of a new build decades later so those won't be exactly the same). The 8400 was a testbed, so it should have resulted in design changes in response to feedback. But the new diners should be pretty close to the 8400 with regards to any ADA access issues.

Some of the double deck cars used in luxury cruise train service on the Alaska RR already have lifts that connect the two decks....

Unfortunately, the extreme height of these cars may have clearance problems on some of Amtrak's Superliner routes...

Yes on the height clearances. Unfortunately Chicago US just barely clears a SL. Would not even clear a SL-1 or -2 if there was CAT installed. That will be a very difficult problem if HSR with CAT goes to CHI.

There is still room for overhead catenary for HSR, since HSR would be single-level. If they ever get around to it, it'll probably just go on a couple of tracks; alternatively they can use overhead contact bars to reduce the space needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back