Why trains instead of planes for long distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That could happen just as easily on Amtrak. A podcast I listen to had a similar altercation in first class on delta.

Hmmm.... Isn't "Delta" an airline?

I guess it "could" happen on Amtrak - if a person had long enough arms, since the seats in coach are not as close together as they are in coach on a plane - but, so far, have not seen any stories about such an incident on a train go viral like this one on a plane did - just sayin'

I guess it "could" happen on Amtrak - if a person had long enough arms, since the seats in coach are not as close together as they are in coach on a plane - but, so far, have not seen any stories about such an incident on a train go viral like this one on a plane did - just sayin'

Of course it is. But I said delta first class which is between Amtrak regional coach and LD coach.

I could see it happening on Amtrak, those seats recline quite a bit.

Whatever ....

There are some who want to ride trains

There are some who want to ride planes

Both will get from where you are to where you want to go

Why is it so important that those of us who would rather one over the other try to "convince" the other that they should "want" to ride what we do ... and, yes, I have joined in this futile debate

I think I will leave this thread for now

Whatever ....

There are some who want to ride trains

There are some who want to ride planes

Both will get from where you are to where you want to go

Why is it so important that those of us who would rather one over the other try to "convince" the other that they should "want" to ride what we do ... and, yes, I have joined in this futile debate

I think I will leave this thread for now
You're the one who posted about what could happen on planes. Nobody was trying to convince others to ride planes. You seem to have been trying to convince others to avoid planes.

The title of the thread is "Why trains instead of planes" ... NOT ... Why planes instead of trains"

However, it seems that every time someone extols taking the train over the plane the idea gets shot down since planes are so much faster.

I merely posted an example of a current viral news item that speaks to "why trains instead of planes" - as the title of the thread specifies - I am not trying to convince anyone to avoid planes ... just stating WHY a train instead of a plane.

I'm sorry that my comments may have been taken the wrong way .... had the title been "Why planes instead of trains", I would not have advocated for trains in the thread.

You're missing the point. Let's recap.

I guess it "could" happen on Amtrak

I could see it happening on Amtrak

Yes, I guess it "could" happen on Amtrak

I've seen it happen on trains.

Whatever ....

You stress the "could" happen on trains to try and indicate that trains are better, since it has happened on planes, but was only a theoretical possibility on a train.

Right up the point where someone pointed out that it does happen on trains, and your answer is "whatever" and continue to blather on.

I've seen it happen on trains. Then again, I watched two women ram each other's laptops as they shared a table. Each alleged the other passenger was invading each other's space.

I guess just having a chance to watch two women going en garde with their laptops could be reason enough to ride Amtrak [emoji51]! Juuust kidding ‍♂️

Allowing everything else to be equal (it's not!), planes are my preferred mode of travel when I have a higher need to be to my destination relatively ON TIME. We've taken the Auto Train 4 times now in the last couple of months:

1> 12 hour delay
2> 5 hour delay
3> 30 minutes EARLY!
4> 2 hour delay

Not considered a good statistical sampling, but they're MY statistics! :)

Allowing everything else to be equal (it's not!), planes are my preferred mode of travel when I have a higher need to be to my destination relatively ON TIME. We've taken the Auto Train 4 times now in the last couple of months:

1> 12 hour delay
2> 5 hour delay
3> 30 minutes EARLY!
4> 2 hour delay

Not considered a good statistical sampling, but they're MY statistics! :)

Just to comment on the topic: Now that I’m retired, I have the luxury of time so that I can afford (in terms of time) to travel by train. While working, the train was only practical for me traveling Baltimore to Washington or NYC.

Now, however, time wise, I can consider it for long distance. Why would I consider doing so? Mainly because it is a relaxing and enjoyable way of traveling and the trip itself is as much a part of the travel experience as the destination.

That being said, what are the downsides? First of all, for long distance travel, I consider a sleeper is essential for comfort and enjoy ability. The downside is cost which for the most part is much more expensive than first class airfare. Secondly, for a lot of destinations the departure and arrival times are very inconvenient (middle of the night etc) and ability to connect for truly long distance travel. The lack of frequency, ie the Cardinal and Sunset, make it difficult to plan trips. The lack of on time performance also affects connectivity.

As a result, in planning a long distance trip, one needs to plan stop overs. While this can be used to advantage to visit other cities enroute, it also increases the costs and again makes the long distance travel an “experiential” choice rather than merely an option for getting from a to b.

Thus, from my point of view, long distance train travel is really a luxury but one I enjoy despite the increased costs and downgrades in service I have seen take place over the last few years (whether or not one blames Anderson, Congress, or someone else).

Notwithstanding the above, I’m still a fan!

I also agree - I’m coming to the States from the UK in part just for the fun of riding the trains
Me too, Caro! Travelling in May from Wiltshire to Grants Pass in Oregon to visit a fantastic quilt fabric shop (Jordan Fabrics), drive to California to dip my toe in the Pacific, hug a Redwood, go horseback riding Western Style and TAKE THE TRAIN (Empire Builder) from Seattle to Chicago and on to Norfolk then New York to stay with friends. I started planning this trip on 15th December and I have 92 days to go - so, so excited!

Me too, Caro! Travelling in May from Wiltshire to Grants Pass in Oregon to visit a fantastic quilt fabric shop (Jordan Fabrics), drive to California to dip my toe in the Pacific, hug a Redwood, go horseback riding Western Style and TAKE THE TRAIN (Empire Builder) from Seattle to Chicago and on to Norfolk then New York to stay with friends. I started planning this trip on 15th December and I have 92 days to go - so, so excited!

Oh, my, that sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip, and I am sure you will have a great time!

This brings up my response to the poster above, and anyone else that compares the cost to first class on an airline and then says that train accommodations are more expensive. If I compared the cost to the airline PLUS a hotel for the same number of days, PLUS three meals a days for those days, and THEN figured in taking an extra day off because, after all, when you take the plane the vacation doesn't start till you arrive at your destination -- well, then, the train would compare very favorably. For me, it is part of the vacation, and I am trading the amenity of lots of space and food choice for the amenity of a constantly changing view out the window.

Just my take on it. When I have the time to include a train as part of my vacation, I will. YMMV.

Oh, my, that sounds like an absolutely wonderful trip, and I am sure you will have a great time!

Thank you!

when you take the plane the vacation doesn't start till you arrive at your destination.

Oh I think my holiday starts when I shut my front door behind me. Or perhaps when I start packing (in that case I'm already on holiday!), or when I start planning - in which case this holiday will last 5 months ;-)

If I compared the cost to the airline PLUS a hotel for the same number of days, PLUS three meals a days for those days, and THEN figured in taking an extra day off because, after all, when you take the plane the vacation doesn't start till you arrive at your destination -- well, then, the train would compare very favorably.

That depends on how you travel. I’ve enjoyed day trips in Washington DC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Sacramento, and Portland. In those cases I’ve used the train as my hotel and transportation and indeed it has worked well.

But if my goal is to get to LA for 4 days I’m not going to go to LA for 7 days if I fly vs. the train so those costs aren’t totally comparable. I do agree that adding a hotel after a long flight is usually an expense that I have to add vs. arriving on a train well rested.

This brings up my response to the poster above, and anyone else that compares the cost to first class on an airline and then says that train accommodations are more expensive. If I compared the cost to the airline PLUS a hotel for the same number of days, PLUS three meals a days for those days, and THEN figured in taking an extra day off because, after all, when you take the plane the vacation doesn't start till you arrive at your destination -- well, then, the train would compare very favorably. For me, it is part of the vacation, and I am trading the amenity of lots of space and food choice for the amenity of a constantly changing view out the window.

I still find the comparison to a hotel for that additional time a bit hard to justify. As a comparison, traveling SAN - MSP takes three nights, assuming no delays for missed connections. The cost is around $900 at low bucket, and goes up as high as nearly $1400. Flights start at around $100 - $150, and I only need a coach seat for a daytime flight. (For a three-night train trip, a flat bed is basically required for me to consider it.) That leaves $750 for three nights food and accommodations at low bucket - and if I'm staying at a $100/night hotel room (which is about the price range that an Amtrak roomette would be at) and eating out at Denny's at $15/meal (which I consider roughly equivalent to Amtrak's food) I'm still $300 ahead.

I do still enjoy riding by train, and when it works (or I want to do a specific route) I'm more than willing to give up a couple days to do it. But it's very difficult to justify the cost and additional time much of the time, especially once connections are involved and time becomes a bigger factor. I've done many of the routes that I want to do, and so I'd rather spend the time exploring my destination city or having time for other time off throughout the year. I'm planning on taking the Texas Eagle partways home later this year, and I still have to fly part of the way home in order to make the trip 3 nights instead of 4.

Flights start at around $100 - $150, and I only need a coach seat for a daytime flight. (For a three-night train trip, a flat bed is basically required for me to consider it.)

I would highly encourage you to price out domestic first class... total game changer. If you were going to check a bag anyways, it’s not even that much more if you fly when the rates are good.

I still find the comparison to a hotel for that additional time a bit hard to justify. As a comparison, traveling SAN - MSP takes three nights, assuming no delays for missed connections. The cost is around $900 at low bucket, and goes up as high as nearly $1400. Flights start at around $100 - $150, and I only need a coach seat for a daytime flight. (For a three-night train trip, a flat bed is basically required for me to consider it.) That leaves $750 for three nights food and accommodations at low bucket - and if I'm staying at a $100/night hotel room (which is about the price range that an Amtrak roomette would be at) and eating out at Denny's at $15/meal (which I consider roughly equivalent to Amtrak's food) I'm still $300 ahead.
Unfortunately this sums it up perfectly. Air fares have remained reasonable for the most part, hotel rates vary by season but bargains can be found, but LD train rides with accommodation are quite expensive. If not looking for the "experience" or the budget does not permit, you have to fly (or drive).

For the life of me I cannot figure out why for purposes of comparison there is a tendency to saddle the air traveler with those extra days and hotel and what not, that s/he does not need, so as to just match the days spent by the rail traveler traveling. That is what makes many of these comparisons not particularly useful and thus best ignored by most serious travelers. Which is what they actually do most of the time anyway. ;)

OK, I take the train because I WANT to, and because I like real-time travel over the landscape. Those aren't the only considerations on any given trip. Other factors like cost have to make the train a reasonable way for me to go.

But, as I said, YMMV. And one of the variations is whether you live close to a major city's airport. I don't, it's three to five hours' drive in any direction to Amtrak OR a minor airport. So my most recent plane trip was Boise to Boston. The cheapest tickets were ~$300, and I checked a bag both ways for another $60. I had to stay in an airport hotel the night before my 6am flight east, and park at the airport for to avoid another hotel stay before driving home. Add another $200. OK, we are getting closer to the cost of the train now... but time was an issue, this go-round (mostly the advance time I had not booked ahead to get low-bucket, as I did not have the advance notice).

Each and every trip is different. But I've given my reason why the train seems to have extra weight when I make my decisions.

Why not? I’ve had to purchase hotel rooms at airport hotels the night before an early morning flight. Many “generic travelers” would understand that concept and cost.
Particularly if they didn't live close to an airport. There are quite a few like that. Everytime I'm on a LD train I encounter multitudes.

Back