Why was BC passenger rail discontinued?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I also wonder why, can anyone tell us? :blink:

I don't know specifically....but it is usually just lack of business. Could be a super highway was built through the area making the train less and less competitive., (when that happens of course it helps the buses as well as the automobiles).......and eventually fewer and fewer passengers. But these are generalizations...if anybody knows specifics, let us know.

Used to be quite a few RDC's in the U.S. as well as in Canada.

There was an article about that in the February 2003 "Railfan and Railroad" Magazine. The Website offers info only on the current and next month's issues, but you might be able to get an back issue from a well-stocked book, model railroad, or other shop. You may be able to order one from the company. It has a full article and photos about BC Rail's passenger services and some of the reasons for its demise.

The Railfan & Railroad article was very good. Unfortunately, the passenger service just wasn't practical. Driving was quicker, flying was half the price, and the government just said no more. The dinner train (one of the fanciest and best run operations around) was only part still making money, and that was hurt by weak travel post-9/11.

As a more recent update, on May 15, the BC government issued a request for proposals to hand over control of freight service to the private sector. CP has expressed strong interest and would seem to be the most likely candidate.

I had a chance to ride the BC Rail between North Vancouver and Whistler and return. It was a beautiful trip. It is very scenic. Much of it along Howe Inlet. Meals (breakfast and dinner) were served to us at our seats. The train also served a number of small towns, and there were a number of people who used the train to go from one community to another (as opposed to end points). The train picked up people at flagstops. My train was quite full. well used. There were a few towns that had no other options but the train. I thought the train was fairly popular during the Winter with skiers. There is the concern about weather conditions. There are number of reasons to keep the train around. As to whether or not it is worth paying for by the government when the railroad doesn't want to pay for it anymore, that is another matter.

Thanks for the info, I wanted to take that route, but oh well, I wont lose any sleep about it! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back