Widfara finds this site

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widfara

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Widfara is the Anglo-Saxon word for Traveler. One of my earlier vehicles had the name Rudigar Widfara (Red Spear - Wide Ranging). For about six years now I shift back and forth from train trips to road trips (My Ford F150, Greymalkin, certified by the state of California as immoral or evil, in April/May took me to Maine, just to see the West Quoddy Head lighthouse on Passamaquoddy Bay, the easternmost point in the contiguous 48 states. 5930 miles.
My train trips are to ride trains. Of course, it is a bonus if there are friends along the way to visit. I am booked in October on a double loop, to get me to Los Angeles so that I can ride from there to Chicago on the Texas Eagle. Since I live in the middle of that route, near Austin, I've ridden it in either direction multiple times, but never the whole thing in one fell swoop, 61 scheduled hours, longer expected.
So, to do that, I am on the Texas Eagle from Austin to Chicago, overnight there, the Empire Builder to Seattle, three nights there with friends, the Coast Starlight to LA, overnight there, right across from the station, then the Texas Eagle to Chicago, waving at Austin as I go by on day two. Overnight in Chicago again, then the Cardinal to Charlottesville, Virginia, where I will stay two nights, as they have a very civilized downtown area. Then the Crescent to New Orleans, two nights there, then the Sunset Limited to San Antonio, where a hopefully devoted friend will be there to pick me up and take me home.
Robert Louis Stevenson said, "I travel not to go anywhere, but to go."

Back