Will dining cars resume 12/15/20?/Flexible dining extended to May 2021?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's very difficult to predict the future. If the question is, will full service dining ever return, I would ask, when in the past did Amtrak ever upgrade its dining, or has the past been nothing but a series of escalating downgrades in quality, options and service?

While I remember many past downgrades, the only "upgrade" I remember (upgrade in quotes) is when the boxes of cold food were replaced by hot TV dinners. This was, arguably, an upgrade. Aside from that, I don't recall an upgrade.

So I think the best we can expect from Amtrak is some tinkering with the current "contemporary" dining.

Going backwards to something better would really surprise me. I would love to be proven wrong.

It's very difficult to predict the future. If the question is, will full service dining ever return, I would ask, when in the past did Amtrak ever upgrade its dining, or has the past been nothing but a series of escalating downgrades in quality, options and service?

While I remember many past downgrades, the only "upgrade" I remember (upgrade in quotes) is when the boxes of cold food were replaced by hot TV dinners. This was, arguably, an upgrade. Aside from that, I don't recall an upgrade.

So I think the best we can expect from Amtrak is some tinkering with the current "contemporary" dining.

Going backwards to something better would really surprise me. I would love to be proven wrong.
Wasn't there a brief time when they had "guest chefs" shown on the website, who purportedly created one selection per meal?

And I didn't experience it personally, but I think I recall people saying the Contemporary Cafe food was upgraded after lots of complaints.

The “official position” is that traditional dining will return when the pandemic is over - presumably only to the western trains. Id rather see them have a date on it rather than just take any mention of it off the website.

Oh it’s happened before. It was called “simplified dining.” The Bob Evans breakfast scramble was a little better than current flex dining meals but not by much.

There was also the original version of the cross country cafe, which went back to standard dining car menus very quickly although I feel like that concept was actually pretty good, just not given a fair try.

Last edited:
Amtrak has upgraded their dining in the past, at least twice that I remember, between downgrades.

Obviously nothing is coming back until the new administration is in office (Jan 20) and proper federal action is being taken on the pandemic. At this point when lobbying I am lobbying for a return of decent food in March.

On the California Zephyr, there is a SCA that "tries" to convince his passengers there is an elevator to the top of the car where a swimming pool is located. I'll bet that the outdoor dining is in above an adjacent car next to the pool.
Reminds me of an old film from the '30s, Non-Stop New York. Most of it takes place on a ccomically extravagant transatlantic airliner, complete with private staterooms and a smoking balcony! And no, this wasn't a zeppelin.

Will full service dining ever return? I don't know, but my Dad told me that anytime I said always or never, the odds were that I would eventually be proven wrong. Most of us think that what is currently happening will continue, even when it is a once in a century pandemic.
I don't know when this pandemic will ease, but I do believe in the blessing/curse that "This too shall pass."
Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I doubt full service dining will ever return. I wish they would add sandwiches cold and hot,burgers and those pizzas they serve in the cafe car. Eating that same food for a two or three day trip gets old fast.

Will full service dining ever return? I don't know, but my Dad told me that anytime I said always or never, the odds were that I would eventually be proven wrong. Most of us think that what is currently happening will continue, even when it is a once in a century pandemic.
I don't know when this pandemic will ease, but I do believe in the blessing/curse that "This too shall pass."
Hopefully sooner rather than later.
I think your Dad was correct. Lots of things are cyclical. The stocks Ive owned, relationships and Amtrak's dining. Things go up and down. Current food service I think is at the bottom and sooner or later is due for a bounce up to better dining :)

I think it important from a safety point of view to watch out for low bridges on some routes...
Some of us are smart enough not to stand up while dining al fresco on a train. Of course, for some of us, our vertical displacement allows us to watch others get headaches while we get an opportunity to put graffiti on the underside of the bridge and leave the police wondering how it was done.

I would ask, when in the past did Amtrak ever upgrade its dining, or has the past been nothing but a series of escalating downgrades in quality, options and service?

I remember in like 2007-ish I went down to ride the Crescent from Atlanta to Birmingham and back in the same day specifically because they were bringing back some cooked to order items. I can't remember what I had for breakfast but I specifically ordered a steak and baked potato.

Amtrak has upgraded their dining in the past, at least twice that I remember, between downgrades.

Obviously nothing is coming back until the new administration is in office (Jan 20) and proper federal action is being taken on the pandemic. At this point when lobbying I am lobbying for a return of decent food in March.
Yes, Amtrak dining car history could be graphed like the Dow Jones averages. For a while they even had Rocky Mountain Trout (the D&RGW specialty) on the Colorado segment of the California Zephyr.

Yes, Amtrak dining car history could be graphed like the Dow Jones averages. For a while they even had Rocky Mountain Trout (the D&RGW specialty) on the Colorado segment of the California Zephyr.
All the Trains had Regional Specialties @ one time, including Catfish,Virginia Ham, Cajan Food, Bourbon Pecan Pie and Bar-B-Q on the Southern Trains and California,Oregon and Washington Wines and Cheeses on the Starlight and Empire Builder

I recall several occasions when Amtrak's catering product was the easy target during one budget crisis after another. After they eliminated china, linens, stainless flatware, and fresh flowers on the tables, to a bare bones paper plate and plastic service, some of the nicer touches returned. Silk flowers, paper table cloth's, better quality disposable ware, etc. The same with the food. While it was never as drastic a cut as was recently, they did improve the fare somewhat, first on one focus train, then expanded to other's. There was a time when all chef's were sent to the prestigious Culinary Institute of America for a special course designed by the CIA just for them, in the early '90's...

Hopefully President-elect Biden names a new CEO, who realizes that Amtrak ordered these Dining Cars for dining!
But Biden is extremely 'Virus conscious'
so the open air dining will require open air cars, which later ( post virus) can be used by those who prefer to smoke or chew without having to get off the train.

I believe the Empire Builder had Puget Sound Halibut as a special way back in the day. I ordered it when I was traveling with my father and it was simply outstanding! This was mid-1970's.

All the Trains had Regional Specialties @ one time, including Catfish,Virginia Ham, Cajan Food, Bourbon Pecan Pie and Bar-B-Q on the Southern Trains and California,Oregon and Washington Wines and Cheeses on the Starlight and Empire Builder

The only thing consistent about Amtrak food is its inconsistency. Even in a period that dining was supposedly declining, I took the EB to Seattle 3 summers ago (seems like forever:( ) to meet up with my wife, who was returning from a cruise. Had the steak for dinner and it was so good I ordered it again the next night, as did many seated nearby.

I remember having the steak (cooked to order) & baked potato on my first LD train trip, Silver Service sleeper TPA-WAS. That was in 2010, and it was impressive, and it's a shame they've downgraded so much. Took the same route in September '19, with no dining at all, just snacks, so we brought our own for the ~22 hour trip. Okay, but not nearly as much fun. I, for one, would be willing to pay a premium for fine(r) dining, as the journey (for me) is a major part of the fun of train travel. But I do not expect a company/country with such a deemphasis on long-distance mass transit to really invest in it...

A high bucket Bedroom on the EB from CHI to PDX for two adults would be $2464 - maybe juuuust enough for a sprig of parsley with those scrambled eggs!

A high bucket Bedroom on the EB from CHI to PDX for two adults would be $2464 - maybe juuuust enough for a sprig of parsley with those scrambled eggs!

Careful... the next post will be “I mean if you care about garnishes that’s fine but I’m just paying for transportation.”

Or my favorite...

“I was raised to not expect such things like garnishes on my plate.”

Heading to Florida from Philly next month. I took advantage of the half off Coach sale. Adding a roomette would have tacked on over $400 each way.No way can I justify that price for a one night trip with flex dining. Having the seat next to you vacant the entire trip is the only reason I 'm not driving or flying.

Back