Will I Be Penalized For Canceling trip using AGR points?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I am booked on the Meteor for 5/9/20 from Elizabethtown to Miami. However, my health has deteriorated since I made the reservation; I am going to need spinal surgery. Therefore, I will be unable to make the trip [emoji22]. I redeemed Guest Rewards points for this trip. Will they still deduct 10% of my points for canceling, even though it is medically necessary? I know Amtrak has a “coronavirus” policy in place, but I’m not sure if it applies to points redemption.

This was posted in the Amtrak/Coronavirus thread
Happy to report that I spoke with a very friendly and helpful Amtrak agent today. Given the circumstances, I had to cancel a long distance biz/pleasure trip for this month and wasn't in a position to rebook yet. Though the trip was imminent, she refunded all points to my account (one leg) and the entirety of my purchase to my credit card (second leg). Pleased with Amtrak's response and will not hesitate to rebook once things have "settled down" a bit. This is the kind of response that builds brand loyalty.

Just canceled my April AT trip...used a combo of points and credit...both returned in full.

Back