Will I get points when using a Travel Certificate?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal-tex

Train Attendant
I received a Travel Certificate after telling Customer Service about the problems encountered on a recent trip. I just used it to "pay" for an upcoming trip. (The certificate did not cover all of the cost - I had to pay an additional $50.) Will I get points for the whole trip, or only a pro-rated portion based on the amount that I paid?.

I'm going to disagree here and urge caution on this. Here is the official AGR policy on a Travel Certs:

Points will not be awarded for travel on tickets issued as reward travel from Amtrak or on travel purchased through auction/discount portals such as eBay. Points will not be awarded for tickets purchased with an Amtrak Travel Certificate. If a ticket is partially paid for with a Travel Certificate, then the portion funded by the Travel Certificate will not earn points, however, the remaining value of the ticket purchased will earn points.
That said, at least so far I've not heard of AGR enforcing said rule and frankly I'm not quite sure that ARROW is up to the task of dealing with that rule. But again, it is possible that the day is coming where one won't get points for a travel cert. As they say over at Flyertalk, Your Mileage May Vary.

My experience was with a voucher that I won after submitting a trip survey (back before they stopped that), not one that was received because of a service issue; not sure if that makes any difference. It was a couple of years ago, and I used it for a trip from St Louis to McAllen, TX. I had to pay a bit of cash, but, the rest of the trip was paid for by the voucher. I was happily surprised that I got points for ALL of the travel, not just the portion that I paid for.

Vouchers given for service problems are the ones that are according to AGR that don't earn points. Vouchers given for refunds and other reasons are supposed to earn points.

Back