Will snow delay/stall trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my son and I board the CZ Saturday evening. Hoping to get out to Yosemite! I'll keep you posted.

Lucky! I’ve been to several national parks but I haven’t been to Yosemite yet. You’ll love the scenery on the zephyr, it’s my favorite.

Great video! It looks like there was some miscommunication with the snow clearing. Many people were filming, so they must have had some idea of what was going to happen. I hope no one was hurt!

Re: California Zephyr. You will have an amazing time, although you can expect a few genuine fiascos along the way. Someone once described riding on Amtrak as a strange mix of cruise ship and camping.

One scenery hint. When the train pulls into Denver it will sit for a while. This is the time to grab seats on the right side (facing toward the engine) of the lounge car. The best seats are the single or double swivels nearest the center of the car. When they let the passengers board at Denver, the folks that know will grab all the good seats. When you first leave Denver it will be boring for about 20 minutes, and then you hit the Big Ten curve and start your way up the Front Range. Don't budge until you get through the Moffat tunnel.

Sorry about the meals. Nothing I can do about that...

SL.jpg

One of my favorite train ads by the Southern, a full page ad showing a conductor standing outside the door in heavy snow and the caption was "To Our Fowl Weather Friends". The theme of the ad was you look for us to take you when air planes can't fly and buses can't run, the rest of the time were running nearly empty. The final thought was unless you ride more often there won't be a train in bad weather to get you where your going.

Looks like it has been canceled.
I have not received an email but I don’t see a CZ at all for today from Chicago.
Where were you looking? I don’t think any of the trackers post the trains until they’re scheduled to leave or after they leave their origin point. Just checked the status, 5 is 1105 today...due to the time change tonight.

As for snow causing delay, One time I spent close to 6 hours parked at Cut Bank while Marias Pass was cleared of an avalanche or something like that. The train crew pointed us to some random bar close by. Many from the train decamped to the bar, which I am sure did a year's worth of business in one night. The train crew was there too getting food, no drinking on duty of course. It was a fun kinda thing and everyone tool it in stride. When exhausted there was always your seat or sleeping accommodation waiting for you on the train. We did finally make it to Portland some 8 hours late. I understand the return trip lest after dinner time.

As for snow causing delay, One time I spent close to 6 hours parked at Cut Bank while Marias Pass was cleared of an avalanche or something like that. The train crew pointed us to some random bar close by. Many from the train decamped to the bar, which I am sure did a year's worth of business in one night. The train crew was there too getting food, no drinking on duty of course. It was a fun kinda thing and everyone tool it in stride. When exhausted there was always your seat or sleeping accommodation waiting for you on the train. We did finally make it to Portland some 8 hours late. I understand the return trip lest after dinner time.
I've been nine hours late before, but not for snow!

One scenery hint. When the train pulls into Denver it will sit for a while. This is the time to grab seats on the right side (facing toward the engine) of the lounge car. The best seats are the single or double swivels nearest the center of the car. When they let the passengers board at Denver, the folks that know will grab all the good seats. When you first leave Denver it will be boring for about 20 minutes, and then you hit the Big Ten curve and start your way up the Front Range. Don't budge until you get through the Moffat tunnel.

Sorry about the meals. Nothing I can do about that...
Thanks for the hint. We did this and snagged the last two seats.

Thanks for the picture! As most of us know, that amount of snow will foul up the roads, maybe even the electric power lines, but not the train (as long as it gets past any situations that require grid power).
They're stuck west of Denver due to a broken switch. Running 4+ hours late. Looks like they're moving now - slowly at 10 mph.

#1106 is doing better, so far. Running about 40 mins late to Granby.

Rut roh

"UPDATE: Due to ongoing mechanical issues, California Zephyr Train 1105 which departed Chicago (CHI) on 3/13 will reverse back to Denver (DEN) for assistance. We will provide updates as more information becomes available."

Rut roh

"UPDATE: Due to ongoing mechanical issues, California Zephyr Train 1105 which departed Chicago (CHI) on 3/13 will reverse back to Denver (DEN) for assistance. We will provide updates as more information becomes available."
Wait, all the way from like, the east portal to Denver?

Back