Will snow delay/stall trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 minutes from the Denver station.
Plan is to add another engine and head west.

I am wondering about the bus/train connections in Sacramento (we’re headed to Merced-then Yosemite) if we’re late. Will they have us wait till the next day or will those connections get shifted and become later?

Status shows 1105 departing DEN at 905a, but it was in the station at 905p when I arrived on 1106. We were delayed about an hour due to following 1105 the last few miles as it backed in. Hopefully it's on it's way again by now. Climbing the front range at night in a blizzard might not be as scenic as usual, but it's certainly rare! Hope all goes well the rest of the way.

It’s 11:30 in Denver and we’re still sitting here. And the electric outlets are not on so I think there’s some issues with the connections or something (I shouldn’t pretend I know anything about hooking up trains).

And whoever said sorry about the food... it really is terrible. Last summer we took a shorter trip and they had a rice-shrimp-spicy sausage dish that was pretty good. But that’s gone.

I watched the 10pm Denver news broadcast from their webpage, and not one mention was made of the Amtrak train coming back in. With everything else going on related to the winter storm, that news was not "news" enough to make the news.

Got the Facebook postings the other day for Mother's Day from different friends with family in both Ireland and Scotland. Told them it was the first time i can remember the Scots and Irish agreeing on anything......

Lot's of snow heading north on CS a few years back. Unfortunately, we were delayed by several hours at Redding because the southbound hit a truck parked on the tracks. Then, after leaving Dunsmuir, our train hit a rock, had to back up several miles to Dunsmuir and wait for a new engine. Took this picture while waiting in Dunsmuir. We were supposed to go to Seattle and meet friends, but since we were seven hours late, we were to be bussed from PDX, so we just got off and went home to Gresham. Wrote Customer Service since we were no longer in a roomette for the PDX - SEA portion and were issued a small refund.Dunsmuir - Amtrak 001 6x4.jpg

Got the Facebook postings the other day for Mother's Day from different friends with family in both Ireland and Scotland. Told them it was the first time i can remember the Scots and Irish agreeing on anything......
That’s an American myth. We get on very well. When I arrived here everyone would say that and it would bamboozle me why. Then I’d get friendly with real Irish folk here and they were baffled by it also. It’s as much a myth as a thousand other American ideas about our culture. The Scots, Irish and Welsh love each other. It’s the big bad English who is the common enemy. 😂

New man here,live in Denver, surprisingly the CZ doesn’t usually have snow problems in the mountains, while there is plenty of it doesn’t usually drift. Springtime is when trainmasters get nervous, melting snow brings rock slides down on the tracks and derailments can happen. Out on the eastern plains of Colorado and Nebraska is where snow is a problem, wind driven blizzards quickly fill up the cuts and 12 foot drifts are not unheard of especially if few trains are running.

New man here,live in Denver, surprisingly the CZ doesn’t usually have snow problems in the mountains, while there is plenty of it doesn’t usually drift. Springtime is when trainmasters get nervous, melting snow brings rock slides down on the tracks and derailments can happen. Out on the eastern plains of Colorado and Nebraska is where snow is a problem, wind driven blizzards quickly fill up the cuts and 12 foot drifts are not unheard of especially if few trains are running.
This makes a lot of sense. Good post. :)

Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited!

Made it about 20 mins outside of Denver this morning and we are being reversed back to Denver. Not much more information. The tannoy said he can’t confirm anything yet. Maybe a possibility of a re-route through Wyoming. What a shambles. Why they set us off from Denver at all is beyond me.

Made it about 20 mins outside of Denver this morning and we are being reversed back to Denver. Not much more information. The tannoy said he can’t confirm anything yet. Maybe a possibility of a re-route through Wyoming. What a shambles. Why they set us off from Denver at all is beyond me.
Maybe something fell onto the tracks after you left Denver. Avalanche, rock slide, trees??

2 minutes from the Denver station.
Plan is to add another engine and head west.

I am wondering about the bus/train connections in Sacramento (we’re headed to Merced-then Yosemite) if we’re late. Will they have us wait till the next day or will those connections get shifted and become later?
Waiting to hear about trip to Yosemite. The bus ride is pretty spectacular in some places. You can look down in those canyons and see where the old train tracks were before the Automobile took over the travel to Yosemite.

Back