Will using upper bed mattress on lower bed work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our last trip, we were in a bedroom. The biggest limitation is that when the bed is in use, getting to the sink is a tight fit so my wife came up with the idea of not putting the bed flat but having the SCA make it up in the reclining (i.e. not the straight back but not the fully extended) position. I was in the top bunk and it worked out well for both of us. Her mattress, being too wide that way was bent upwards along the inside (seatback) area.

For our upcoming trip, we are doing a two-bedroom deal in the Chief. I was wondering, then, what if we did the same thing only since we'll both have bottom bunks and the upper bunks will be unused, asking the SCA to use the narrower upper bunk mattress on the lower bunk so it doesn't consume some of the width of the bed.

Would that work better? We like having that extra space and also not having to do anything to the couch to make it back into a seat other than shoving the mattress "upstairs" when we get up and before the SCA has time to make up the room for daytime use.

Comments?

Past week simply (for one person in bedroom) folded existing lower bunk mattress such that it covered entire seat, bent at seat back, and on up the seat back. Solved problem of movement in the room. Mattress did occasionally slide down a bit, but was no problem. An option is to keep seat in normal position (not reclined as I did) or recline it. Just kept this formation over three nights instead of resetting.

We do something like that all the time. We don't like losing the floor space with the lower bed in the sleeping position.
We leave the lower "sofa" in the daytime position and put the mattress there folded up the back as you described. It usually stays that way for the entire trip - night and day.
Since I sleep in the upper, that mattress stays there.

Well, we did what you both did but we're wondering if the upper mattress might work better. Anybody ever try it? If not, we may be the first to do so. Seems like a possibly better solution for a single in a room or two people in the two rooms combined into one as we are trying for the first time.

Back