windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kathy

Do the windows in the roomettes actually open for fresh air?

To have open windows on a train you have to connect that with the first use of air cooling or air conditioning on the train.

I guess the late 30s are when cars began to be air conditioned, and thus have windows that do not open.

Now sometimes on something like a steam engine excursion, which has nothing to do with Amtrak, you can find windows which have been made to open again.

No. None of the windows on Amtrak trains open.
Except for the Rail Fan Window in the Doors downstairs on Superliners! (Of course we'd Never Open these windows! :lol: ) And Technically, while a Door, when the Texas Eagle Backs into/out of FTW the Conductor has the Rail Fan Door at the Back of the Train Open and once on a Hot Day in August when the AC wasnt working well in the Coach he left it Open all the way to DAL!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
No. None of the windows on Amtrak trains open.
Except for the Rail Fan Window in the Doors downstairs on Superliners! (Of course we'd Never Open these windows! :lol: ) And Technically, while a Door, when the Texas Eagle Backs into/out of FTW the Conductor has the Rail Fan Door at the Back of the Train Open and once on a Hot Day in August when the AC wasnt working well in the Coach he left it Open all the way to DAL!! :eek:
Reminds me of my TE trip when the SCA opened the downstairs window so I could get some great photos of Dealy Plaza (JFK)!!!

When we rode the LSL from BOS to CHI coming home from The Gathering and before we joined up with the NY section in Albany, the lounge car was the last car on the train. The conductor opened the rear door and left it open for quite a while. I was able to shoot video out the opening as if I was standing right up on the edge of the vestibule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8EpqUR77Vw

The windows do not open, of course, but then how was this picture taken? Looks like the door window was opened, but I don't think that's allowed. (NOT MY PICTURE)

USA-california-zephyr-pacif.jpg

For those who want to know, this is the westbound Zephyr at San Francisco Bay.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we rode the LSL from BOS to CHI coming home from The Gathering and before we joined up with the NY section in Albany, the lounge car was the last car on the train. The conductor opened the rear door and left it open for quite a while. I was able to shoot video out the opening as if I was standing right up on the edge of the vestibule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8EpqUR77Vw
very cool Tom. Thanks. It was also a nice look at fall, which I do not get to see very often. :)

I have been standing in the vestibule once or twice after a conductor left the window open, and I took some photos. It is rare but now and then one does get an open window that way, or as a previous poster experienced, a rear door.

The next best thing is the rear window in the Portland Sleepr on the Empire Builder - it's not open, but you can stand for extended periods of time watching (and possibly photographing) the views behind the train.

It is fairly common in Europe to be able to open windows on trains in your compartment / sleeping car / etc.

speaking of windows, why can't Amtrak clean them? I rode the CZ a while back and just recently the EB. The windows were never cleaned during the entire trip. They were so dirty when we arrived it was hard to see out. I had a lower level sleeper, so at stops I got out and cleaned my own window.

It is fairly common in Europe to be able to open windows on trains in your compartment / sleeping car / etc.
getting rarer, as most of the newer stuff doesn't allow it.
It's a safety issue - at speeds much from about 100 mph it starts to get really dangerous if anybody is leaning out and it is also creating way too many turbulences in the car.

Also it messes up the a/c of course, even though that is not really needed in the not too hot northern European summers if only the windows can open....

Yes, it's hazardous and yes, people sometimes do it anyway. Even though railroad hardware is supposed to have some clearance from the train, it's not much and there's always the risk of something being inside the envelope. You don't want to be smacked with a pole or even a tree branch at 90mph.

If caught, at best you'll be told to knock it off. At worst, you could be kicked off the train. They see it as "opportunity to get good pictures" vs. "small but real possibility of being decapitated". The conductor is going to fall on the side that doesn't involve decapitation.

I discovered this in Sweden last summer. Quite a thrill to lean out the window at 80 mph, and also to hold the camera outside to get photos without window glare. I'm not sure if it was against the rules, but I never saw anyone called on it. A troop of scouts from Denmark was enjoying having the wind in their faces.

P1000290.JPG

Mark

speaking of windows, why can't Amtrak clean them? I rode the CZ a while back and just recently the EB. The windows were never cleaned during the entire trip. They were so dirty when we arrived it was hard to see out. I had a lower level sleeper, so at stops I got out and cleaned my own window.
Back in the '70s, in ABQ, Amtrak had a window cleaning gas-powered cart that drove by during the ABQ stop on the Southwest Chief. It had a (really big) vertically mounted spinning brush that washed all the windows on each side of the train. Never saw one since.

Back in the '70s, in ABQ, Amtrak had a window cleaning gas-powered cart that drove by during the ABQ stop on the Southwest Chief. It had a (really big) vertically mounted spinning brush that washed all the windows on each side of the train. Never saw one since.
Aloha

Last week the windows were done by hand in ABQ.

Yeah, in Europe you get much more personal freedom, especially when traveling. I wish Amtrak would treat people with more respect and abolish their police-like rules! Opening a window is not a crime, and is completely safe to do; I've written letters to Amtrak to request lifting this senseless restriction. They should allow Amtrak passengers to open the main entrance window (in the vestibule, at the main door), currently it's only allowed to be open by Amtrak employees. I also hope in the future trainsets Amtrak will implement some sections where people can open windows and enjoy the real view, not being confined in the glass and tons of steel.

Sure, and then somebody gets hit by a passing train or something on that train, or by a bridge, or a branch, etc... and sue Amtrak, the railroad, etc... (and probably the tree also)!
rolleyes.gif
The reason for the lawsuit - "I was not warned that there might be trains or trees to make it dangerous!"
wacko.gif

Hey, let's open the windows on planes too. It's hard to see out of those little windows!
blink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back