Winnipeg-Chrchill

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone taken the Churchill trip? I know the line was down for quite a long while, but if I am reading VIA Rail's website correctly, evidently service has been restored. Taking that trip to see the polar bears is quite high on my bucket list.

Has anyone taken the Churchill trip? I know the line was down for quite a long while, but if I am reading VIA Rail's website correctly, evidently service has been restored. Taking that trip to see the polar bears is quite high on my bucket list.
The line was reopened last December after an extensive post flood damage rebuild. It runs through a lot of wilderness and swamp etc. The speed is slow to moderate. November is when the polar bears migrate and they have a holding cell building in Churchill for the naughty ones. Train has a diner sleeper and observations. Cheapest sleepers are the Slumber type. Generally sleeper fares are expensive. Look for savers( it's an option on the booking website) and they have a dump list on the Via site closer to your Dept date but I never see much for the Churchill train on there.

It's been on my list for a while, but it's still at least a few years away.

It’s on my to do list for next year. Taking the Sunday train from WNPG to Churchill. Same day turning to the Pas train. Riding the mixed for two days before catching the other equipment set back to WNPG.

It’s on my to do list for next year. Taking the Sunday train from WNPG to Churchill. Same day turning to the Pas train. Riding the mixed for two days before catching the other equipment set back to WNPG.
I assume “the mixed” refers to the Pukatawagan train. Would love to take that one, but couldn’t locate any kind of accommodation in Pukatawagan...

Back