Winter Eastern Consist Order Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a video of Amtrak #98 by YouTube user RailFannerFlorida from December 11 showing the current order of the consist.

Does anyone know if and when the consist will change back to sleepers at head end of train?

Have to say the "new" reason to flip the trainset might be a non seasonal thing. Of course the complaints from the sleeper will be loud, so there just no way know if they will stay this way forever. Or we will experience switching of equipment in the spring.

Seasoned traveler who like to sleep with there feet forward are going nuts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say the "new" reason to flip the trainset might be a non seasonal thing. Of course the complaints from the sleeper will be loud, so there just no way know if they will stay this way forever. Or we will experience switching of equipment in the spring.

Huh? The roomettes on one side sleep feet facing forwards. The other half sleep feet facing backwards. Aren't most of the bedrooms set up so that you sleep "across the rails"? So who's left to go nuts?

jb

Huh? The roomettes on one side sleep feet facing forwards. The other half sleep feet facing backwards. Aren't most of the bedrooms set up so that you sleep "across the rails"? So who's left to go nuts?
jb
Yeah I was wondering about that. There is no single direction for the Viewliners that places all roomettes feet first or head first.

What ? ? haven't you ever remade your bed to go the other way ?

What ? ? haven't you ever remade your bed to go the other way ?
Remaking the bed the opposite direction on a Viewliner sleeper does not "work."

Whether viewliner or superliner I always sleep feet first in the direction of travel. Just tell the SCA what you prefer. Since the toliet is covered, I have no problem sleeping with my head at that end of the roomette.

Wow! Do we not request certain roomettes number (even or odd) so your feet are face to the front, when sleeping in the lower berth of a roomettes?

Or is just me.

Got ask to swap with a another passenger so she could seat forward and not get motion sickness. (One think he mean sleep forward.)

I am too big to sleep with body next to the toilet. I need wing space. Can and do sleep top bunk, but that a pain to get into. So I reserve a roomettes on the side (even or odd) that will get me a lower berth with my feet facing forward. Plan "B" is to use the top bunk.

I must admit I have never worried about which way my head is facing on trains or even planes that have backward facing sleeper seats.
Planes with backwards facing seat are military hops, in my experience. If a plane crash your backward face seat will help to keep you alive.
Trains are much more like to power-stop. Your body will continue to move forward, with the wall stoping you. So when your sliding forward do you want to hit the wall with your feet, or with your head? Hopefully your neck does not go snap after your body weight apply pressure on the your neck.

I must admit I have never worried about which way my head is facing on trains or even planes that have backward facing sleeper seats.
Planes with backwards facing seat are military hops, in my experience. If a plane crash your backward face seat will help to keep you alive.

Trains are much more like to power-stop. Your body will continue to move forward, with the wall stoping you. So when your sliding forward do you want to hit the wall with your feet, or with your head, and hope your broomstick (neck) does not go snap?
aren't some A380-800 aircraft equipped with first class "suites" that face both forward and backward?

Wow! Do we not request certain roomettes number (even or odd) so your feet are face to the front, when sleeping in the lower berth of a roomettes?

Or is just me.

Got ask to swap with a another passenger so she could seat forward and not get motion sickness. (One think he mean sleep forward.)

I am too big to sleep with body next to the toilet. I need wing space. Can and do sleep top bunk, but that a pain to get into. So I reserve a roomettes on the side (even or odd) that will get me a lower berth with my feet facing forward. Plan "B" is to use the top bunk.

I've never requested a specific room or side of the train. I've only ridden in a VL once so far, but doubt I'd care what room I'm in.

Or is just me.

I routinely request rooms on Viewliners so that my feet are to the front.

On a route like the Lake Shore Limited, it can be a preferential toss up picking the side with the views, or the side where feet face forward while not having a face full of toilet.

Trains are much more like to power-stop. Your body will continue to move forward, with the wall stoping you. So when your sliding forward do you want to hit the wall with your feet, or with your head? Hopefully your neck does not go snap after your body weight apply pressure on the your neck.

As I said, I do not worry about that. There are many more immediate higher probability threats to worry about if one wants to, starting with the trip by road to the train station. I don't worry about that either. I have a very que sera sera attitude towards life.
There are several commercial airlines that have had and still have backward facing seats in Business Class, United being one of them, on the pm-United wide bodies. As they get converted to Polaris they will disappear.

Trains are much more like to power-stop. Your body will continue to move forward, with the wall stoping you. So when your sliding forward do you want to hit the wall with your feet, or with your head, and hope your broomstick (neck) does not go snap?
aren't some A380-800 aircraft equipped with first class "suites" that face both forward and backward?
On a lot of airlines in first and business part of the business.

The Silver sleepers are still in "winter consist." It appears that they may not be flipped this spring. :(

The Silver sleepers are still in "winter consist." It appears that they may not be flipped this spring. :(
That was a great thing when I took the Meteor to Miami in January. I was able to sleep without earplugs since we were so far from the engine.

I am not familiar with eastern LD trains but the California Zephyr did not change from the Winter consist in 2016 until late May. I rode the Zephyr in early May and sleepers were still at the front\. Zephyr sleepers are moved to the end of the train for summer and fall and into January before they are changed back.

Back