Winter Eastern Consist Order Changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakLKL

Lead Service Attendant
Just an FYI, the Silver Meteor and Silver Star consists flipped effective yesterday. Coaches up front, sleepers and baggage on the rear.

* Edited to change title

Last edited by a moderator:
Doh! Went searching for a recent "consist" thread before posting. Hit submit and then noticed Thirdrail7 already dropped the info here.

I'm sure this is explained somewhere else and I've forgotten where, but why are the consists flipped seasonally?
So the consists can thaw out after running up North across the frozen tundra! Same reason Superliners replace the Horizons on some routes in the Winter. ( did you see Sarah Zs Michigan Winter pic on Facebook?)

It had to do with the Lake Shore Limited and probably the Cardinal coming into Sunnyside, all frozen. To more easily be able to exchange one of these two consists with one of the warm weather ones (Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor), they line them up this way. Why that helps facilitate the exchange, I don't know.

jb

LSL needs to have the Sleepers in the back in the NY Section because of the way the Boston Section is added to it in Albany. Which implies that to easily send a frozen LSL that arrived from Chicago down to Miami without having to send it around the Sunnyside loop one more time, the trains to Florida have to have the Sleepers in the back.

But with downgraded food service on two trains how are they going to run equipment south?

Dinner cars on Crescent and Meteor.

Dinning Lite on Lake Shore Limited, and Cardinal.

Cafe car on the Sliver Star.

Going to have pull equipment apart to match up the equipment requirements for a southbound train. The point was to avoid unplugging the HEP, and still have the ability to rotate equipment south.

Not sure why they doing it this year.

If this is going to be the default thread for the Eastern Flip Flop, can we change the title? The consist was reversed on the Star, Meteor, Cardinal and Crescent. Additionally, the eastern day trippers equipped AMII equipment will change the pointing of their vestibules.

OK, the consist on the Crescent 19/20 has been flipped.

BTW, it was not flipped last winter.
It was flipped last year. The year before last, it wasn't flipped.

But with downgraded food service on two trains how are they going to run equipment south?

Dinner cars on Crescent and Meteor.
Dinning Lite on Lake Shore Limited, and Cardinal.
Cafe car on the Sliver Star.

Going to have pull equipment apart to match up the equipment requirements for a southbound train. The point was to avoid unplugging the HEP, and still have the ability to rotate equipment south.

Not sure why they doing it this year.
This will make it easier in case you have a situation with late trains or late shoppers. If they need to add a specific block of cars, the rest of the cars are already pointed and ready.

When I first saw the title of this thread, I worried that they took the diner from the Meteor and gave it to the Star.... :unsure:

I'm sure this is explained somewhere else and I've forgotten where, but why are the consists flipped seasonally?
So the consists can thaw out after running up North across the frozen tundra! Same reason Superliners replace the Horizons on some routes in the Winter. ( did you see Sarah Zs Michigan Winter pic on Facebook?)
It had to do with the Lake Shore Limited and probably the Cardinal coming into Sunnyside, all frozen. To more easily be able to exchange one of these two consists with one of the warm weather ones (Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor), they line them up this way. Why that helps facilitate the exchange, I don't know.

jb
LSL needs to have the Sleepers in the back in the NY Section because of the way the Boston Section is added to it in Albany. Which implies that to easily send a frozen LSL that arrived from Chicago down to Miami without having to send it around the Sunnyside loop one more time, the trains to Florida have to have the Sleepers in the back.
Thanks to all of you for explaining this. I love being near the train horn, but I will gladly give that up if it means the poor frozen sleepers can get down to Florida and thaw out faster! :)

I just saw 98 pass through Orlando and the baggage was on the rear end of the train (behind the sleepers). No shiny new diner on the train.

Back