Winter Park (Colorado) Express is back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it’s a sponsor train, got to put the sponsor companies logos some place.

Nice to see the passenger rushing the lounge car prior to leaving. Are they extra fare seats, or FCFS on these service?

Another season has come to an end. Video by Daniel Gresham shows the Winter Park Express consist on the front of Amtrak #6(05) heading back east today. Also, among the four engines leading the train are 50th anniversary unit AMTK 46 and 40th anniversary unit AMTK 130.

It was hard to tell but it looked like there were 15 cars including the baggage. But, 13 extra coaches should certainly help the equipment shortage on other trains. Would love to know the plans for all the SSL's MIA.

Maybe now they'll put the SSL on a CL-TE.
They have to find at least 5 more. The TE/Cap combo uses six consists. If they are separated again, then they have to find at least 3 more just to do TE.

The Ski Train is a wonderful consist and I look forward to seeing it this year. While I don't ski the museum I sit on the board of is going to be running a PV charter to Denver as a fundraiser, and then buying a group ticket on the ski train so our passengers can hit the slopes. I am also convinced there are other markets where a ski train could work. I also think using the cars during the traditionally less busy time of the year to run a seasonal ski train is a great utilization of equipment.

Curious how reliable this train is for connecting travel? If return ETA into Union Station is 6:40pm would a 9:00pm flight out of DIA be advisable?

Even it the ski train arrives on time, it would be a tight connection. Assuming you were doing light rail to DIA you would probably arrive by 8:00 ish - Not a lot of time to get thru security and to your gate.

Curious how reliable this train is for connecting travel? If return ETA into Union Station is 6:40pm would a 9:00pm flight out of DIA be advisable?
Actually, the biggest risk now is that commuter rail A-Line trips sometimes are cancelled due to the labor shortage. The Winter Park Express is rarely late, but it is operating on a mountain railway. If the Winter Park Express is on time, and if the A-Line is on time and operating, and then if security at the airport is sailing along late in the evening... too many variables.

Plus on the CZ Tuesday night we were treated to a 2 plus hour layover in Denver due to no legal crews, which according to the conductor happens frequently. If our train was ontime into Denver we would have had a 5 hour layover. We didn’t mind nice walk around the area but you can’t run a scheduled service like that.

Is it a good use of limited crews this winter as well?

In light of the national equipment shortage, where are all these superliners coming from? There would seem to be better resource allocations.
This is my question as well. Ever since the Southwest Chief derailed, they have been putting the Winter park Express cars on the SWC & CZ. I thought these cars were designed to fit skis and snowboard equipment, how will that work with single level cars?

Rumor is the train will be equipped with single level equipment, perhaps Amfleet Is, this year. That'll be fun with all those skis.
If they use Amfleet I's, the second vestibule in these cars would provide enough space for the ski's. That was where the original heavyweight, former NP cars stored them. That train did have a single lightweight coach-baggage 'combine', but it was not used for storing ski's for the rest of the nine car train. Not sure about when the Ski Train used the former CN 'Tempo' lightweight's...
Not every passenger brings ski's either...some rent them at the ski area, other's don't even ski.

In light of the national equipment shortage, where are all these superliners coming from? There would seem to be better resource allocations.
Note that the WPE does not run for the whole season, but only during the low period on the transcons. And there have been discussions that it will be shorted one coach this season.

Last edited:
Plus on the CZ Tuesday night we were treated to a 2 plus hour layover in Denver due to no legal crews, which according to the conductor happens frequently. If our train was ontime into Denver we would have had a 5 hour layover. We didn’t mind nice walk around the area but you can’t run a scheduled service like that.

Is it a good use of limited crews this winter as well?
Keep in mind that the WPE hasn't started running yet. The legal crew issue is a problem when the CZ runs hours late, partly caused by Amtrak having tried to close the Denver crew base entirely. They compromised by understaffing it. However, on a weekly basis, the WPE doesn't require many hours.

Rumor is the train will be equipped with single level equipment, perhaps Amfleet Is, this year. That'll be fun with all those skis.
The overhead luggage racks on the Amfleet Is hold skis very well. I've stored a pair of 190 cm cross-county skis in an oversize ski bag up there with no problem. I only started using the baggage cars on 66/67 when I started riding up on the Acelas, where fitting skis is more of a problem. Downhill skis are usually much shorter that typical cross country skis. If they do use Single level equipmen, there should be no problem.

Back