Winter storm related delays and cancellations Winter 2022-2023

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was talking about 79 today and it is indeed cancelled. There was a Tweet on AmtrakAlerts last night about 80 terminating at Baltimore with passengers transferred to 90, and consequently 79 getting cancelled. Also southbound Acela 2157 apparently terminated at Wilmington with passengers transferred to 2159, which itself was running hours late.

On the 22nd the Steel bridge in Portland OR failed causing the southbound Coast Starlight to be delayed many many hours. Apparently it arrived into EMY over 10 hours late, of which a bit more than 6 was lost at Portland, and then there was crew expiry etc. to contend with. It was already late into PDX to start with.
What happened on the Steel Bridge? I live in PDX and didn't hear anything about it.

22 is not cancelled between Roanoke and Wash DC. However, 66 is cancelled between those two cities. 151 and 66 cancellations south of Wash DC are not because of weather.
I noticed that, and I was scratching my head looking at my keyboard wondering how anyone could type 22 while trying to type 66.

Last edited:
wondering how anyone could type 22 while trying to type 66.

Not so hard if you are using the numeric keypad (not the numbers above the letters) and not looking at it. I know my keyboard, unlike those on some actual calculators, does not have any tactile bumps on the number pad so you know where your fingers are without looking.

What happened on the Steel Bridge? I live in PDX and didn't hear anything about it.
I'm in Denver now, but the unique way that the Steel Bridge operates permits the draw for the lower level to be raised without affecting road and light rail traffic on the upper level. If the upper level remains open, what happens on the lower level is not news.

The bridge is older than everyone here, and crankier. The question is why the train wasn't detoured on the UP. That opens up several alternatives.

1959 UP op tt 002 (2).jpg

There were major delays to Empire Service trains into and out of NYP today because of "unforeseen track work" that Amtrak described in one post as weather-related. Nos. 281 and 283, which normally run to Niagara Falls, and the Ethan Allen express all left NYP between four and eight hours behind schedule, although the Niagara trains were terminating in Syracuse because of the Buffalo storm situation. No. 233, the 11:50 a.m. departure for Albany, was listed as departing nearly nine hours behind, and several other Albany trains were canceled.

Is the Empire Builder cancellation for today due to the wind storm hitting the PNW right now? If that's the case, would it be safe-ish to assume that it would start up again tomorrow given that the weather outlook is for showers and light winds?

Is the Empire Builder cancellation for today due to the wind storm hitting the PNW right now? If that's the case, would it be safe-ish to assume that it would start up again tomorrow given that the weather outlook is for showers and light winds?
So far 7/27 and 8/28 are canceled on 12/27. Check at:

https://www.amtrak.com/alert.html#
under @AmtrakAlerts later today. If the 12/28 trains are canceled they will appear in that tab as the cancellation of the 4/48 and 4/49 on 12/27 appeared there.

So this is day 8 without any Empire Builder trains leaving their origination points? At this point I'll be more likely to get where I need to go on Southwest! 😆
We actually flew into Chicago on Southwest before the meltdown and, if Amtrak gets Empire Builder running again by the 29th when we'll be heading back to Seattle, I'll definitely be making an offering to the travel deities for our good fortune in avoiding all of the frustration and worse that other people have experienced over the last week.

Last edited:
Selfishly, it occurs to me that the EB's cancellation today is likely good news for us, as I think there must be two westbound trains in Chicago right now, so train 7/27 on 12/29 isn't dependent on inbound train 8/28 equipment at this point...

I am currently on the auto train 53 that struck a vehicle. We were told this morning we'd be in Florence at 10am and Sanford at 7pm, but we are in Florence at 11:30am.

What are the compensation rules for Amtrak in these instances? I understand it's not their fault that somebody's vehicle was left on the tracks, but I had lost a nonrefundable reservation down south of Florida and having to book an extra hotel up in Orlando area, so i am wondering what i should do in this instance.

Speculation. Empire service and NYP traffic toward Newark were delayed due to the track work. Maybe some kind of problem at the west end of the puzzle switches? If so what happened? Dragging equipmment??
Empire Service was allegedly delayed by a large pipe that burst causing unspecified damage to track apparently somewhere near Albany.

And there’s this one. 😳😟
View attachment 30883
Wow. The northbound Ethan Allen wound up arriving in Burlington about 3:30 a.m., and it looks like today's southbound will depart hours late so the crew can have its mandatory rest period.

This does look like another situation in which Amtrak burned up a lot of good will among its passengers through poor communication. Why not just say that we have a water main break at X place and are having to take emergency measures to shore up the track there, if indeed that's what the issue was. It appears the problem was somewhere on the West Side line, as Metro North's Hudson Line trains were running normally. Why is there no contingency plan for running into Grand Central or for turning trains at Croton-Harmon and letting people make their own way from there on Metro North? Instead the chaos persisted all day across a dozen or more departures in both directions, leaving hundreds of holiday travelers stewing for hours with little to no information about what was happening.

I am currently on the auto train 53 that struck a vehicle. We were told this morning we'd be in Florence at 10am and Sanford at 7pm, but we are in Florence at 11:30am.

What are the compensation rules for Amtrak in these instances? I understand it's not their fault that somebody's vehicle was left on the tracks, but I had lost a nonrefundable reservation down south of Florida and having to book an extra hotel up in Orlando area, so i am wondering what i should do in this instance.

I believe Amtrak's compensation will only extend to the train's delay, not any other expenses. Travel insurance would pick up the tab for other expenses incurred or reservations lost due to a late train/plane/bus, etc. Check if your credit card has any trip delay insurance built-in when purchasing travel.

Unfortunately, this is a trip paid fully by points. In that case, what can I expect? I'm ok it they would throw me some points that I spent on the trip. Just not sure what's really codified.

Unfortunately, this is a trip paid fully by points. In that case, what can I expect? I'm ok it they would throw me some points that I spent on the trip. Just not sure what's really codified.
It's pretty much up to the AGR Agent( since it's Points) you talk with when you call in.

Remember the Old Saying: " ..You catch more Flies with Sugar than Vinegar.."

Good luck, let us know the outcome!

Back