Winter storm related delays and cancellations Winter 2022-2023

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently Union Station had a 3"/hr rain rate going on for a while. Doubt it was ever made to handle those kinds of sustained rains.

Based on some of the latest forecasts I'm seeing, I would have backup plans for anyone riding trains in California except for the SL and SWC for the next ten days (through to January 20th). Nothing official from Amtrak yet, but there are at least two more atmospheric rivers forecast to hit various parts of CA, including this weekend in SoCal.
Yikes! Will that be affecting San Diego? Does that indicate that one of my friends who's flying in to SD this weekend, yes on Southwest (same friend who got stuck in New England at Christmas), want rethink plans for travel - or will air travel to SD be OK?

Apparently Union Station had a 3"/hr rain rate going on for a while. Doubt it was ever made to handle those kinds of sustained rains.

Based on some of the latest forecasts I'm seeing, I would have backup plans for anyone riding trains in California except for the SL and SWC for the next ten days (through to January 20th). Nothing official from Amtrak yet, but there are at least two more atmospheric rivers forecast to hit various parts of CA, including this weekend in SoCal.
Was/is Metrolink affected? We're planning on taking it from Irvine to LA on Saturday and haven't heard anything from them about service disruptions.

Exactly!
The Cal costal portion of the national rail network has become unstable, as a result of this atmospheric "conveyor" (as it were). The FAA's early-morning nationwide grounding order following an overnight outage to its Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM) only compounded the effects of the transport infrastructure at-large.

It's a highly unfortunate situation for anyone booked for single or multiple L-D and regional train plans that which include the "Coast Starlight" and the Pac Surfliners, and it's likely to remain so ─ at least on an off-an-on Ad-Hoc basis ─ for some time.:confused:

Yikes! Will that be affecting San Diego? Does that indicate that one of my friends who's flying in to SD this weekend, yes on Southwest (same friend who got stuck in New England at Christmas), want rethink plans for travel - or will air travel to SD be OK?
Air travel should be fine. Have your friends bring a book or other suitable entertainment in case of delay programs and/or Southwest/FAA having system-wide issues that cause nationwide ground stops.

Rail travel to/from San Diego should be fine, and the Irvine-Oceanside bus bridge is still running, but I'd be mindful of another potential bus bridge around the Del Mar bluffs if that area gets way more rain than expected.

Was/is Metrolink affected? We're planning on taking it from Irvine to LA on Saturday and haven't heard anything from them about service disruptions.
Not that I'm aware of. Irvine to LA is probably going to be fine unless they have flash flooding issues affecting the line. Keep on the forecast and check the Metrolink site as it gets closer for any bus bridges and/or cancellations. I was thinking more about the part of the lines that are by the ocean or potential landslide areas.

Last edited:
From the Surfliner repair thread, via the Pacific Surfliner site. This will affect the CS. Hat tip to IanDBeacon for posting originally.

Amtrak Twitter mentions CS service terminating/originating at EMY for the 12th but nothing further.

Temporary Track Closure Between Goleta and San Luis Obispo
Starting January 12

As a result of the recent storms, tracks north of Goleta will be closed for 10-16 days so crews from Union Pacific Railroad can complete repair work. While the tracks are closed, the following trains will be adjusted as follows:

Southbound

• 774 will originate in Los Angeles (suspended between San Luis Obispo and Los Angeles)
  • 794 will originate in Goleta (suspended between San Luis Obispo and Goleta)
Northbound

• 761 will be cancelled
  • 777 will terminate in Goleta (suspended between Goleta and San Luis Obispo)
NOTE: Departure/arrival times as well as existing Thruway bus service will not be affected. No alternate transportation will be provided to replace canceled train service.

And, as passengers turn to the San Joaquins, the planned end of food service on those trains comes to mind. When emergencies happen on the Coast Line, I haven't minded being diverted to the San Joaquin Line. In the future, passengers who make the full trip will be very hungry.
correct. Now just geet management to qualify a few cres LAX to Bakersfield. Rest of route already has Amtrak trains.

And, as passengers turn to the San Joaquins, the planned end of food service on those trains comes to mind. When emergencies happen on the Coast Line, I haven't minded being diverted to the San Joaquin Line. In the future, passengers who make the full trip will be very hungry.
Depends on how well or poorly the "vending machines" thing works. It is all just a matter of how much the Joint Powers Board in charge wants to shell out to support food service on those trains. 😐

Depends on how well or poorly the "vending machines" thing works. It is all just a matter of how much the Joint Powers Board in charge wants to shell out to support food service on those trains. 😐
I was not aware that the morons out there had made such a decision...

...but then again, they're on the wrong side of the country. I guess this just shows that you don't have to be at 50 Mass to screw up a train.

Air travel should be fine. Have your friends bring a book or other suitable entertainment in case of delay programs and/or Southwest/FAA having system-wide issues that cause nationwide ground stops.

Rail travel to/from San Diego should be fine, and the Irvine-Oceanside bus bridge is still running, but I'd be mindful of another potential bus bridge around the Del Mar bluffs if that area gets way more rain than expected.

Not that I'm aware of. Irvine to LA is probably going to be fine unless they have flash flooding issues affecting the line. Keep on the forecast and check the Metrolink site as it gets closer for any bus bridges and/or cancellations. I was thinking more about the part of the lines that are by the ocean or potential landslide areas.
Thanks, she'll definitely be prepared!

The risk/threat of landlslides is pretty scary, actually.

I was on Metrolink today to Riverside and there was no mention of problems in LA Union Station due to flooding even on a train bound for there so it does seem like they've recovered fine.

The band of snowstorms that was in the Sierras has carried on and is now (7:30 pm MST) blanketing Denver and about to follow Train 6 to the Colorado -- Nebraska line. Some flights canceled at Denver International this evening.

Coast line has a few major issue spots.
Honda bridge near VSFB is damaged and UP been sending work trains along the line from both ends.
Cuesta grade given its location on a hill side is also not doing to well.
I've heard reports from UP crews that theres another bridge out between Gilroy and SLO

Honda bridge was already planned for replacement and the surfliner has 20m of the expected 30M needed to replace it.

Thanks, she'll definitely be prepared!

The risk/threat of landlslides is pretty scary, actually.

I forgot to update on her travel: she actually got back to Chicago an hour early!! Otherwise just rainy in SD.

Just saw that there have been some massive landslides along the coast (not affecting train service, but just south of where it appears to turn inland @ Black Beach near Torrey Pines).

Looks like ACE was back in service yesterday AM.

Had plans to take 14 from VNC to SEA on Jan 14, 2023 but it was cancelled due to the storms in SoCal. Successfully took 28/8 from PDX to CHI on Jan 20, 2023; great trip but the consist did not have a Sightseer lounge. It could have been anarchy feeding the coach passengers, but to their credit, Amtrak provided three square meals both days, all for free, out of the dining car. Sleeper dining was not affected.

Had plans to take 14 from VNC to SEA on Jan 14, 2023 but it was cancelled due to the storms in SoCal. Successfully took 28/8 from PDX to CHI on Jan 20, 2023; great trip but the consist did not have a Sightseer lounge. It could have been anarchy feeding the coach passengers, but to their credit, Amtrak provided three square meals both days, all for free, out of the dining car. Sleeper dining was not affected.
That's a Looooong trip without a Lounge, even worse than the 31+ Hour Texas Eaglette between San Antonio and Chicago that has No Lounge!🤬

I forgot to update on her travel: she actually got back to Chicago an hour early!! Otherwise just rainy in SD.

Just saw that there have been some massive landslides along the coast (not affecting train service, but just south of where it appears to turn inland @ Black Beach near Torrey Pines).

Looks like ACE was back in service yesterday AM.
If anyone was wondering why I mentioned landslides are a potential issue and why NCTD is spending so much money to stabilize the Del Mar Bluffs where the train tracks are:

Back