Winter train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
I'm thinkin it wouldn't be a bad idea to take Amtrak somewhere this Spring Break.... but i sort of don't know where to go. I'd like to either take the Empire Builder to Big Mountain Resort in Whitefish or the CZ and possibly a connecting train (CS maybe) to Salt Lake City for skiing around there. As usual, I was sure I could count on you guys to help me out here.

I rode the Builder from CHI to Essex and then from there to Seattle last summer, so repetition in the only thing keeping me from immediately opting for Big Mountain (less crouds, more snow). I thought it would be pretty neat to try something new and take the Zephyr from Emeryville to Salt Lake.... since going from Chicago is mostly farmland until Colorado and it's also like 4 times the price. I also checked taking the Starlight from Seattle to connect with the CZ but again, I'm 15 and so I can easily back away from the Starlight's huge price tag. I want to see alot of snow (blizzards would be awesome), but I know that it's gonna be the end of March and so there won't be that much anywhere. I'm just lookin for ideas or advice here..... or pictures.... i like them too : )

Thanks again,

Paul (Pablo)

Winter Park/Fraser CO is a great place with an excellent hostel. The CZ will deposit you only 3 blocks away from the Rocky Mountain Inn and Hostel. The best hostel I have ever stayed at in the world. Very clean, cheap ($22 per night) and you can catch city transit to the slopes. Another good place would be just down the road from there in Glenwood Springs CO. They will have less snow but better weather. You can also catch a bus to the city of Aspen but I bet that skiing there is cost prohibitive. Glenwood Springs has a real funky hostel called the "Glenwood Springs Hostel" but its also a bargain. I think it costs $16 per night. Both places have kitchens and the GSC hostel is pretty "funky". Guy that owns it has 3,000 albums you can sit and listen to at night while you commune with others. GSC has free city transit as well. The bus that takes you to Aspen costs $13 RT. Also, the trip through the Rockies and especially to GSC is one of the most beautiful trips. It was just outside GSC where the "dome" car came to mind. It was in the mid 1940's when an exec was riding in the front end with the engineer marvelling on how beautiful it was. I believe the dome cars were then rolled out in 1949. Remember, hostels have kitchens so if your on a budget, pack one carryon with clothes and the other one with food from your cupboard. You will then be able to keep the costs down. My girlfriend, her daughter and I are going to CHI on the CZ the 3rd week of March, we are going to have a "free" breakfast at the hostel every morning, we are going to pack spaghetti and sauce to make a meal for dinner, Giordano's pizza is enough pizza for 2 meals so things like that can really make the cost go down.

Well, with only two routes going through the Rockies, you're choices are limited...

...unless you want to try something crazy and get the North American Rail Pass. But that comes at a hefty price tag. Still, if you could pull it off, you can go CHI - EMY (CZ) EMY - VAC (CS) VAC - TOR (Canadian) TOR - BUF (ML) BUF - CHI (LSL). Problem is that it takes a full 11 days, you have to start on a Thursday to get the most out of Spring break week and I don't know how you feel being 15 and going across the Canadian border... You're pretty articulate and knowledgeable, so I wouldn't doubt you're smart enough to do this. The other downfall is, of course, the cost. Plus you're looking at overnighting in a hotel in VAC, TOR, and BUF.

Buffalo gets some nice snows, but I don't know how late in the Spring they last. Maybe you can just wait until the Spring and book at the last minute, knowing where the snow is.

Good Luck. But most of all, enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Winter Park/Fraser CO is a great place with an excellent hostel. The CZ will deposit you only 3 blocks away from the Rocky Mountain Inn and Hostel. The best hostel I have ever stayed at in the world. Very clean, cheap ($22 per night) and you can catch city transit to the slopes. Another good place would be just down the road from there in Glenwood Springs CO. They will have less snow but better weather. You can also catch a bus to the city of Aspen but I bet that skiing there is cost prohibitive. Glenwood Springs has a real funky hostel called the "Glenwood Springs Hostel" but its also a bargain. I think it costs $16 per night. Both places have kitchens and the GSC hostel is pretty "funky". Guy that owns it has 3,000 albums you can sit and listen to at night while you commune with others. GSC has free city transit as well. The bus that takes you to Aspen costs $13 RT. Also, the trip through the Rockies and especially to GSC is one of the most beautiful trips. It was just outside GSC where the "dome" car came to mind. It was in the mid 1940's when an exec was riding in the front end with the engineer marvelling on how beautiful it was. I believe the dome cars were then rolled out in 1949. Remember, hostels have kitchens so if your on a budget, pack one carryon with clothes and the other one with food from your cupboard. You will then be able to keep the costs down. My girlfriend, her daughter and I are going to CHI on the CZ the 3rd week of March, we are going to have a "free" breakfast at the hostel every morning, we are going to pack spaghetti and sauce to make a meal for dinner, Giordano's pizza is enough pizza for 2 meals so things like that can really make the cost go down.
While we lived in Texas and New Mexico, we would do our Summer Vacation just north of Winter Park at YMCA's Snow Mountain Ranch. Love that area. Would love to take the Ski Train some time. But I'm in Georgia now. I digress.... :(

Winter Park/Fraser CO is a great place with an excellent hostel.
While we lived in Texas and New Mexico, we would do our Summer Vacation just north of Winter Park at YMCA's Snow Mountain Ranch. Love that area. Would love to take the Ski Train some time. But I'm in Georgia now. I digress.... :(
Winter Park is a nice town but unfortunately the area has been devastated by the pine beetle. We stayed one night at the Snow Mtn. Ranch this summer. It was very depressing to see whole mountains of dead trees and many areas a muddy mess from clear cutting to remove them. We quickly moved over to Estes Park and it was so much better. From a train watching standpoint that means checking out the east portal of the Moffat tunnel. The winter snows should hide much of this.

Salt Lake City is my choice. You get more bang for your Amtrak buck by crossing the Rockies and you have a variety (Brighton, Park City, Deer Valley and others) all within 40 minutes of the Amtrak station. The buses that run from downtown have ski racks if you bring your own.

I think you'd have a very dificult time doing any of that. A NARP costs $6-700, IRRC. I remember this because my girlfriend and I were thinking of buying one and galavanting to and fro around North America. In anycase, I think you'd have a hard time with it. I think Amtrak has some kind of policy about being 15 on LD trips, although I could be wrong. I do remember distinctly that minors are NOT allowed to be unaccompanied in sleeping compartments.

Forget going to Canada unless your parents are coming. You need a stack of paperwork half an inch thick, plus a designated guardian at the other end to cross the border unaccompanied as a minor.

I think Amtrak has some kind of policy about being 15 on LD trips, although I could be wrong. I do remember distinctly that minors are NOT allowed to be unaccompanied in sleeping compartments.
Actually at 15 he's ok on his own, the cut off is 14. However, at 15 when traveling alone you don't qualify for a child's discount and you must have a valid photo ID. Basically a 15-year-old is subject to all the same rules that an adult would be subject to.

Forget going to Canada unless your parents are coming. You need a stack of paperwork half an inch thick, plus a designated guardian at the other end to cross the border unaccompanied as a minor.
I'm not sure when you had an experience with this, but I happen to know a young lady who at the time was only 17 when she flew to Canada. I never asked her what paperwork she brought with her, but I do know that she had no designated guardian at the other end, as she was flying into Timmins Ontario for the second annual Shania Twain fan convention and knew absolutely no one there.

Amtrak Border Crossing Page said:
Passengers Under 18 (Not Traveling with Both Parents): Passengers under 18 years old (if not traveling with both parents) must carry a notarized letter from any parent or legal guardian not present which gives permission for the child to cross the border. This letter must include the address and telephone number of the parent or parents not present. If one parent is deceased, a copy of that parent's death certificate will minimize questions and delay.
Amtrak policy does not allow children 14 and under to travel unaccompanied into Canada, regardless of ID or notarized letter.
I thought I read the designated guardian thing there too. Perhaps my memory is going.

Edit coment: I typed "red" instead of "read"? I know I make typos but... *commits seppuko*

Last edited by a moderator:
Well getting on an LD train, I know won't be a problem.... because I probably won't be alone. Based on what everyone has said.... I'm leaning towards Salt Lake City (based on ease of getting to the slopes and the fact that I've been there before and love it..... and I'll probably have a free time share at Deer Valley). Definately won't do the whole 31 day pass thing since I'll have a week, no money, and I'm the only person around here I know that wants to spend a month riding trains. My only dilemma is deciding where to ride to SLC from. I really don't care where I originate from as long as there's real good scenery and I don't have to put a friend or parent through the gamble of switching trains (LD especially). I mean, I'm in Florida so I'm gonna have to fly somewhere no matter where I leave from (and no, I can't afford to take 3 different trains at this point). I'm pretty much looking for the best possible scenery.

And by the way..... with the updated menus, have trains like the Zephyr got food anything near the quality of the Builder yet??

Thanks again,

Paul (Pablo)

Well getting on an LD train, I know won't be a problem.... because I probably won't be alone. Based on what everyone has said.... I'm leaning towards Salt Lake City (based on ease of getting to the slopes and the fact that I've been there before and love it..... and I'll probably have a free time share at Deer Valley). Definately won't do the whole 31 day pass thing since I'll have a week, no money, and I'm the only person around here I know that wants to spend a month riding trains. My only dilemma is deciding where to ride to SLC from. I really don't care where I originate from as long as there's real good scenery and I don't have to put a friend or parent through the gamble of switching trains (LD especially). I mean, I'm in Florida so I'm gonna have to fly somewhere no matter where I leave from (and no, I can't afford to take 3 different trains at this point). I'm pretty much looking for the best possible scenery.
And by the way..... with the updated menus, have trains like the Zephyr got food anything near the quality of the Builder yet??

Thanks again,

Paul (Pablo)
Fly to San Francisco and take the Zephyr to Denver and the Ski Train back to WP? :) Would be much more scenic than going from CHI.

Aloha

Just had a ? (insert word) for the sub tittle in this thread.

The best snow is where I can see it, play in it. and don't have to shovel it, or drive in it. And also when I have had enough of it I can go home. :)

Eric aka GG-1

Driving in snow is the most fun I have in the winter, you kidding? Its less boring, and its fun to put the counter steering techniques I've learned to work. Something I can't normally do in my E300 Diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back