Wire down north of BWI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been at least 3 down catenary incidents recently (Philadelphia, somewhere on the Hell Gate Line, and now this). Is that higher than normal? I don't remember it being this frequent of a problem.

We got into Baltimore about 25 minutes behind schedule. I guess it could have been worse.

I seem to have a jinx with these Washington day trips to see the dermatologist. Of course, this wasn't the worst. That was the 2+ hour delay (for a 40 minute ride) caused by the discovery right after we left New Carrolton that the horn didn't work. We had to back up all the way to Union Station at 10 mph and then wait until they found a new motor for us.

There have been multi wire problems from WAS - Wilmington over the last several years. Some may come because of the age of the variable tension CAT sagging too much with the summer heat. Then a PAN slightly out of adjustment will snag the sag. The PRR style catenary supports all tracks at same time. So, if one track's catenary gets snagged all tracks may have wire down often when just one track is snagged. Constant tension catenary is needed for all track NYP - WAS. That would prevent most of these sags and snags. Still will be occasional snags but only one track out of service not all which seems to be the case with this incident..

Back