WMATA Silver Line service to Dulles starting Nov 15, 2022

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool! I'm arriving at WUS on 92 that day. If the train's not hours late, maybe after I check in to my hotel I'll take a ride out that way for dinner, and see if any of those commemorative pennants are left.

ETA: This calls for a change of plans. There's an hourly bus from the Dulles & the new Innovation Center Metro station to Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center, where a Space Shuttle, a Concorde, and lots of other cool stuff is on display. I've wanted to visit, but it's always been too much of a hassle to get out there. I'm going to see if I can rearrange my schedule. 😄

Last edited:
Cool! I'm arriving at WUS on 92 that day. If the train's not hours late, maybe after I check in to my hotel I'll take a ride out that way for dinner, and see if any of those commemorative pennants are left.

ETA: This calls for a change of plans. There's an hourly bus from the Dulles & the new Innovation Center Metro station to Smithsonian's Udvar-Hazy Center, where a Space Shuttle, a Concorde, and lots of other cool stuff is on display. I've wanted to visit, but it's always been too much of a hassle to get out there. I'm going to see if I can rearrange my schedule. 😄

Not sure if and when the schedule will change, but currently there is a Fairfax Connector bus from Whiele Reston every 20 minutes that goes first to Dulles (on a slower and less-direct route than the Silver Line shuttle bus) and continues on to the Udvar-Hazy Center, so you could also take it from there (at Dulles it stops near the 5A bus stop). But you can pay with a SmartTrip card, so when using in combination with a Metro ride it's basically free.

It's the bus line 983.

Not sure if and when the schedule will change, but currently there is a Fairfax Connector bus from Whiele Reston every 20 minutes that goes first to Dulles (on a slower and less-direct route than the Silver Line shuttle bus) and continues on to the Udvar-Hazy Center, so you could also take it from there (at Dulles it stops near the 5A bus stop). But you can pay with a SmartTrip card, so when using in combination with a Metro ride it's basically free.

It's the bus line 983.
Yeah, that's the same route, but they're cutting it back to just the Innovation Center station. I think the Silver extension should cut at least 30 minutes off the trip from Wash DC, if I can get the connection right.

Took this yesterday; was at a friend's place in Leesburg for the weekend, one of us flew out of IAD at noon, I was flying out of DCA at 13:37, so it was easiest for me to take the train.

a39413bce1e1e834.jpeg

443a8927ab4c59eb.jpeg

466c741a1c0af56b.jpeg

All in, it was a 70 minute trip once I got on the silver line, with 10 minutes waiting at Rosslyn.

Back