Wolverine schedule

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTANut

Service Attendant
I am considering taking the Wolverine from Detroit to Chicago instead of the LSL/Capitol Limited from Toledo to Chicago. However, I can't really find a convenient schedule for it. Does anyone have any ideas? Would it make sense to transfer to the NICTD in Michigan City to get to downtown Chicago, as it has a better on time rating? Driving to Detroit adds an extra hour of driving for me, but I would think that the train would leave at a more convenient time than 5:30/6:30 am. I would transfer to the CZ in Chicago.

Amtrak and NICTD stops in Michigan City aren’t really close to each other.

If you’re going to take the Wolverine, just ride it to Chicago. There’s no real point to introducing a complicated transfer (unless the specific adventure is part of the point of the trip).

As it stands right now, there’s only one train a day running, and it’s the early train (351) which doesn’t even stop in Michigan City. Even under full service, 351 is the only Detroit train connecting to western LDs, so even if it was potentially advisable to transfer to NICTD, it wouldn’t be possible. Further, if you’re connecting to a western LD, why complicate the itinerary by getting off an Amtrak train, making a mile-and-a-half transfer to the South Shore to ride a slower train to Chicago (which doesn’t even factor in how much time you’d have to wait for the next South Shore train), and then make another mile-plus transfer in Chicago from Millennium Station to Union Station? Outside of the NS being shut down from Porter to Chicago, there’s almost no scenario in which that makes sense.

I am considering taking the Wolverine from Detroit to Chicago instead of the LSL/Capitol Limited from Toledo to Chicago. However, I can't really find a convenient schedule for it. Does anyone have any ideas?
Here's an idea. Base your decision on whether to take the Wolverine or the LSL to Chicago on which is the best place to leave your vehicle. Then buy tickets for the trip and simply plan on getting up early so as to not miss the train(s).

Or, to cut your dwell time in Chicago by more than an hour, drive up to Port Huron and take the Blue Water to Chicago.

Last edited:
If you're coming back by train, the one Wolverine that's running right now leaves Chicago before the western trains arrive. Going, the only option is the one that leaves Detroit about 6:30 a.m.

You could simply drive to the South Shore terminal at the South Bend airport if you want to use that line, but then of course you have to transfer stations between stations in Chicago. I'm not clear on why this would be preferable to the Capitol or Lake Shore, which have guaranteed connections to the Zephyr.

A dummy booking shows me the connection between the Wolverine and California Zephyr is also guaranteed with 3hr 27min between trains in Chicago.

If getting up so early to get the train to Chicago is the main problem, the only alternative I see is to drive to Battle Creek or Kalamazoo, overnight in a hotel there and get on the Wolverine a few hours later than in Detroit.

The Lake Shore Limited leaves Toledo at 6:15, and the Wolverine leaves Detroit at 6:26. I would say just leave from whichever station you live closest to. If you live halfway between in Monroe, flip a coin :)

The Lake Shore Limited leaves Toledo at 6:15, and the Wolverine leaves Detroit at 6:26. I would say just leave from whichever station you live closest to. If you live halfway between in Monroe, flip a coin :)
I would lean towards the Wolverine, if equidistant, simply because it has a better chance of being on time...

Here's an idea. Base your decision on whether to take the Wolverine or the LSL to Chicago on which is the best place to leave your vehicle. Then buy tickets for the trip and simply plan on getting up early so as to not miss the train(s).

Or, to cut your dwell time in Chicago by more than an hour, drive up to Port Huron and take the Blue Water to Chicago.

Consider the Dearborn Station as opposed to Detroit. Much safer parking. It’s right in front of the station and in view of Michigan Ave. and there’s a Police Station right up the road. I’ve left my car there for a week with no worries.

Back