Worcester, MA to Salem OR

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 1 – Got on the Lake Shore Limited only 4 minutes late, got a seat and was amazed at the room in coach. I have a seat to myself, so I am able to spread out and relax. We were running on time, actually arrived ahead of time in Albany, having to wait 2 hours for the NYP section to join us. We had a great conductor for our section, he was a comic. When we got to Albany, he went into a comic routine about the instructions on getting off and getting back on before they run away to the yard with the train and then come back because they have to pick up their “step children” that are coming up from New York. Then he joked about what time we were leaving. He was a hoot.

We were pretty much on time UNTIL... we hit a blizzard with wind, snow and about anything else mother nature could throw at us. This put us 1 hour down into Buffalo and then when we left Buffalo, the switches were down so we were on restricted speed and it put us 1 hr. 53 min. down into Toledo. We are hoping that we have clear travel from here to Chicago with a 11am central time arrival time. All in all a wonderful first day.

to be continued...

Looking forward to riding along with you. My cross country trip begins Mar 9th so I am relying on your reports to see how things might stack up for me.

So glad we could help make your trip enjoyable! At least you were on a train during the blizzard - could you imagine being in a car at that time? :blush:

From here on out, I hope your trip is "uphill"!

Enjoy!

Day 2 Started out 1 hr. 53 minutes down into Toledo Ohio. Arrived 1 hr. 58 minutes late into Chicago. Red Cap was waiting right outside the door of the train for me and I road to the lounge. I went upstairs to the food court and had lunch at the Mexican Rest. Got nachos for later in the train and a huge burrito. They were both very good. Made my way thru the cattle to the lounge and because I was using Red Cap and needed assistance, I was checked in first and taken to the train first. I ended up sitting about half way back behind the stairs, it has been a good spot.

The leg room on the suuperliner is incredible in coach. I am 5'10 and can barely reach the foot rest. The leg rest is wonderful. I have been lucky enough to have two seats to myself, so I can stretch out at night. So far the trip has been great.

We left Chicago ontime, the CZ is a great train, the stairs are not great when you have a bad knee, but I did not want to be downstairs and have to use them more than just to use the restroom. Sat back and enjoyed the wide open areas of Illinois and Iowa. I ate dinner in the dining car. Had the Lamb Shank. It was to die for, fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. Also had a baked potatoe with sour cream with green bean medley. VERY GOOD. Had Haugendaus (sp) raspberry sorbet for dessert. Needless to say I was stuffed and ready for a long winters nap.

We traveled on uneventfully until we hit the snow in Nebraska, but only lost about a half an hour into Ft. Morgan CO.

We made up that time and then some into Denver. We got here 15 minutes early. BUT... Day 3 is NOT starting out well, we are currently sitting at the Denver station because the horn does not work. No horn, no move. They said it should be only 15-20 minutes to change out the problem and we should be on the way. Currently we are 50 minutes late leaving.

To be continued....

Last edited by a moderator:
You need that horn to signal those slow freights that you're passing....

Sorry for the late continuation, I have been busy enjoying myself without technology. But as day 13 begins, I figure I better catch up.

After leaving Salem Oregon and Eugene Oregon, I took the Coast Starlight down to LAX. We were about 45 minutes late getting into the station, but that just cut my time waiting for the Surfliner. Red Caps were readily available and helpful right at train side. They wisk you off down the narrow ramp to the station and deliver you right where you need to be to wait for the Surfliner.

Surfliner left ontime and we got into SAN at the regular 12:40am time. Right in front of the station there were taxis lined up waiting to take us to hour hotels.

After 3 glorious days in San Deigo, soaking in the ocean views, the San Diego Zoo and Sea World, it was back on the Surfliner at 4pm on Friday. Note to self, NO NOT TAKE THE SURFLINER ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON. It was packed, standing room only, luckily, being disabled I had a seat, but it was hot and very crowded. We got into LAX on time and again the Red Caps were there to assist.

One of the first people to board the Texas Eagle and with my lower level accommodations, it was a great quiet night of sleep. As we continued on, we had several freight train delays, but that did not put us too late into Tucson. Where there were two arrests. The first was a lady on our car that was smoking CRACK on the train and accidentally dropped her crack pipe on the floor and someone picked it up. It was still warm from use. The second was a man on a different coach that was smoking in the rest rooms.

Amtrak is very diligent when it comes to making sure the trains stay smoke free. After being about an hour late out of Tucson, the snack bar and diner remained close as the staff were all in briefings about the incidents. We arrived into San Antonio about 30 minutes late, having made up time. The split of the TE and the Sunset Limited went normally except for the "witch" who complained because there was no power, we had no air, no one told us we were splitting the train, it is abuse to leave us here with no bathrooms or power. Luckily, she was moved to a different car and we were done with her.

Because of track work between Dallas and Longview, we had to detrain in Fort Worth and board buses. There were three buses and all were crammed full. Very uncomfortable compaired to the train. Once back on the train, we were 45 minutes late getting out of Longview because one of the buses got lost. We have yet to make up that time and are expected to arrive in Chicago at 2:50 close to an hour late.

The car attendants that I had on almost every leg of my trip were wonderful, they went out of their way to assist in providing food, snacks, water, ice, etc. when needed. The lower level seats are wonderful for sleeping, no one walks thru the car and once the door is closed, you don't hear any noise unless one of your car mates gets up and goes out the door. I took the Zephyr in the regular coach, but realized quickly that the stairs were NOT doable with my knee. I swapped the rest of my seats to lower level with no issue or upfees to pay. All in all, the 15 day rail pass has been a wonderful way to ride the train and I will be doing it again several times this year.

Oh I almost forgot. Again last night I had the lamb shank and it was melt-in-your-mouth tender and delicious. I splurged and got the cheese cake for desert last night and it also was wonderful. All food from the diner and snack bar have been great except for the omlet with the mushy red pepper goop inside and undetectable cheese.

:hi: Glad the Trip is going well, you're probably already planning your Next Adventure on the Rails! ;)
Actually, I have two more adventures planned. The first is a quick trip down to visit my brother in Texas, LSL-TE round trip in May and then a larger trip in July, LSL, EB, CSL, SWC, LSL to see Red Sox play in Seattle and Oakland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back