Work around for chronically late northbound Crescent at ATL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the frequent late departure of 20 from ATL, the modest waiting area at the station, the late night scheduled departure, free time in retirement and a general love of any train trip, my wife and I have booked the following itinerary this summer:

19 ATL-BHM 9:08a-12:45p
20 BHM-NYP 5:25p-5:56p

We're hoping this will be more pleasant than our northbound trips last summer...

With the frequent late departure of 20 from ATL, the modest waiting area at the station, the late night scheduled departure, free time in retirement and a general love of any train trip, my wife and I have booked the following itinerary this summer:

19 ATL-BHM 9:08a-12:45p
20 BHM-NYP 5:25p-5:56p

We're hoping this will be more pleasant than our northbound trips last summer...

Hey. Now that’s an idea! Get up at a sane hour, have plenty of margin btwn in and out at BHM, and leave for NYP, in actuality, about supper time (leaving aside, of course, just what “supper” would amount to on the Crescent. I’ve actually considered almost the same idea for trips to NYP from CSN or GRV. Take the Crescent westbound at 6ish am and lay over in Atlanta. Hang out with my sister at High Museum. Then head north. Great minds train together! Maybe we could meet up in BHM someday!

Did you check the fare diff vs just doing it all from Atlanta? Tacking on the short hop to BHM and back, so to speak?

fare for this trip (2 seniors) is $674.80 (coach to BHM, then roomette to NYP)
return a week later is $573.40) (roomette NYP->ATL)

both seem to be in the cheapest fare bucket

i'll report on our afternoon in BHM when the trip begins in late July

fare for this trip (2 seniors) is $674.80 (coach to BHM, then roomette to NYP)
return a week later is $573.40) (roomette NYP->ATL)

both seem to be in the cheapest fare bucket

i'll report on our afternoon in BHM when the trip begins in late July
OK, so the diff is about $100. All things considered, for a trip to New York, including ANYTHING you do or eat while there, that’s peanuts for the convenience your idea gives you. Good thinking, friend!

Last edited:
Back