Work at New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an interesting message on trainroders which talks about testing the viability of running some Amtrak Regionals and Acelas to Hoboken, by test running equipment that way. May be just for the purposes of validating contingencies. But clearly, every option is being looked at.

There is an interesting message on trainroders which talks about testing the viability of running some Amtrak Regionals and Acelas to Hoboken, by test running equipment that way. May be just for the purposes of validating contingencies. But clearly, every option is being looked at.
The test running has much merit. Suppose Amtrak finds major problems with the subgrade of a track(s)? It could be while tracks are removed boring samples may be taken? Worse still best to test is case of a North river tunnel bore having to be shut down ? Or the absolute bad a major failure of Portal bridge ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say I am very impressed with how Amtrak is approaching this work. Clearly there's a new sheriff in town, and this guy is no-nonsnense. It's basically: here's what we have to do, here's how we have to do it, and all of us, including Amtrak, will share the pain. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I kind of think that former management would not have taken this straight forward, honest approach.

Maybe it's because he's a civil engineer? ;)

I have to say I am very impressed with how Amtrak is approaching this work. Clearly there's a new sheriff in town, and this guy is no-nonsnense. It's basically: here's what we have to do, here's how we have to do it, and all of us, including Amtrak, will share the pain. There is no way of knowing for sure, but I kind of think that former management would not have taken this straight forward, honest approach.

Yes very true. Amtrak is certainly sharing the pain. More importantly Mooreman is making best use of time to prevent future problems.

Considering that the pussyfooting over the years by the previous sheriff is what brought us here, I think you are probably right. The primary goal appears to have changed from "keep the political peace at any cost", to "fix the danged thing and take the necessary heat for the overall good of everyone". Now only if Cuomo and Christie could stop grandstanding and get on with the program, but that is unlikely. They have zero understanding of issue and are both ambitious career politicians who don't care much beyond their career, and sometimes they are not even good at that.

Considering that the pussyfooting over the years by the previous sheriff is what brought us here, I think you are probably right. The primary goal appears to have changed from "keep the political peace at any cost", to "fix the danged thing and take the necessary heat for the overall good of everyone". Now only if Cuomo and Christie could stop grandstanding and get on with the program, but that is unlikely. They have zero understanding of issue and are both ambitious career politicians who don;t care much beyond their career, and some times they are even not good at that.
I agree with both of you completely. I am absolutely fed up with NJ and NY already complaining about the delays, goaded by the two governors. Why is it that commuters from these areas see nothing wrong with sitting in the same traffic jam in the same spot with the same construction for years, but when it's rail, and for a needed reason, it's unacceptable?

I share your thoughts. I don't think the previous regime would have handled it this way but there is a reason for that. Mr. Moorman can make these sort of decisions and not really worry about burning any future bridges or dealing with political payback since he has made it perfectly clear he does not intend to stay around long.

Therefore, he doesn't really need to kowtow to anyone. He can plunge ahead which is the way it should've been all along. It is refreshing to see an operations person at the helm. I've met him briefly and no nonsense is an understatement. He's a professional but he's not here to mingle, make friends, small talk or brownie points. The last time I felt a presence so cold was when I first met my future in-laws!

I think a lot of people (particularly employees that started their careers with Mr. Boardman at the helm) are in for a surprise. ^_^

The Amtrak website is showing sold out for the Crescent to all points north of Washington for most of July and August, so I presume it will be terminating and originating there. It

appears that passengers bound for points north of Washington will have to transfer there to a Northeast Regional or Acela. The Cardinal, Silver Star, and Silver Meteor do not appear to be affected. However, multiple

Regionals also appear to be cancelled. Although it is still possible to book tickets for all trains on the Empire Corridor, Grand Central

Terminal is now appearing as a station option so I assume those adjustments will soon follow.

If you look hard enough, you'll notice three less Keystones operating between PHL-NYP-PHL and you'll see one should turn in NWK. I believe they are still waiting for final approval to merge 63 and 69 at NYP and reschedule 69 between ALB-MTR.

Interesting....if they run a Washington to Hoboken train, why terminate there? Perhaps they can possibly run at least one trip from Washington thru to Albany over the River Line? (I know...over CSX's dead body :p )

Shades of the old PRR, of the 19th and early 20th centuries....while most other railroads across the nation were headed by financier's, the PRR rose to its premier status, by having civil engineer's running the company.

When the financier's finally prevailed, that led to the companies eventual demise....

I share your thoughts. I don't think the previous regime would have handled it this way but there is a reason for that. Mr. Moorman can make these sort of decisions and not really worry about burning any future bridges or dealing with political payback since he has made it perfectly clear he does not intend to stay around long.

Therefore, he doesn't really need to kowtow to anyone. He can plunge ahead which is the way it should've been all along. It is refreshing to see an operations person at the helm. I've met him briefly and no nonsense is an understatement. He's a professional but he's not here to mingle, make friends, small talk or brownie points. The last time I felt a presence so cold was when I first met my future in-laws!

I think a lot of people (particularly employees that started their careers with Mr. Boardman at the helm) are in for a surprise. ^_^
Boy oh boy I could have told you that! :lol:

Amtrak schedule changes to accommodate upcoming work at New York Penn Station announced (except Empire Service changes):

http://media.amtrak.com/2017/05/amtrak-announces-schedule-changes-speed-infrastructure-renewal-new-york-penn-station/
Thanks for posting. No Amtrak in Hoboken. Probably makes operational sense.
Not yet at least. Though they are doing test runs of all equipment to Hoboken apparently.
I don't think we will see regular Hoboken service, but it's good to have test runs, and whatever is needed to qualify crews.

If there are any issues that cause a tunnel to be shut, Hoboken could be pressed into it's first ever Amtrak service (inspections trips and the like not counting).

Ken

Mr. Moorman certainly is trying to cover all possible contingencies, By testing Hoboken now Amtrak and NJT can make operational plans. There certainly could be tracks there or sidings not suitable for some Amtrak equipment. As well maybe some track improvements to the connecting line Newark Penn to Hoboken ? Could be CAT power supply would need some upgrading ? Wonder where the CAT power changes from 12kV 25 Hz to 25kV 60 Hz?

If improvements needed that would benefit both Amtrak and NJT

I'm curious why the Crescent is the only train terminating/originating in DC, and not the Silvers/Cardinal. I'd imagine there's a reason, but that in particular piqued my interest as a one-time semi-frequent Crescent rider.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'm curious why the Crescent is the only train terminating/originating in DC, and not the Silvers/Cardinal. I'd imagine there's a reason, but that in particular piqued my interest as a one-time semi-frequent Crescent rider.

My uneducated guess is timing and/or # of pax north of WAS since pax between NYP and WAS would need to take up space on regionals to get to/from WAS.

I would guess the same... the "Silver's" carry more passengers to and from NY, NJ, & MD, then the Crescent, I believe...

Not sure about the Cardinal...

According to postings by Thirdrail, our resident Amtrak expert, WAS is barely able to turn one LD train, so there is no question of turning multiple ones there. As for why the Crescent, apparently you get the maximum advantage in terms of reduced traffic at Penn Station at the most critical times by removing it from Penn Station for the time being, while incurring the least inconvenience all around.

Back