World's largest manual signal box?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Following on from the recent programme about the oldest rail bridge, I was surprised to learn that Severn Junction signal box is still a manual rather than electronic box/cabin.
It is said to be the largest manually operated box in the world:

Are there still manual boxes in use on any lines that Amtrak uses?

Severn Bridge 2002-6.jpgsbbox.jpg

Where I live the house tracks are still manually switched but there is no signal box. Or least that's how it worked the last time I was able to witness it. They've been upgrading those tracks over time, mostly in the form of new ties and ballast, so maybe they've switched to radio control since then. If they ever decommission the functional part I'd like to see your switch box turned it into a bar or coffee shop for rail fans. Is that something that happens over there?

All the signalboxes that I know of that were of the same scale as Severn Junction, AFAIK have all been converted minimally to Route Relay Interlocking or more advanced solid state electronic interlocking. So Severn Jn. maybe it.

In India I know that Howrah Central was probably of the same scale as Severn, but it was converted to RRI back in the late 60s, and recently they consolidated a whole bunch of cabins into a single solid state electronic interlocking center. They shut the entire area down for a weekend to cut over to the new system a couple of years back. I have been to the Howrah RRI which does not exist anymore. Haven't seen the new electronic one.

In the US Zoo interlocking in Philadelphia was probably of the same scale, but I can't even remember when it had big levers. When it was manually operated it was still servo assist, i.e. all the levers - little one - just activated circuits that controlled the actual devices. Now of course it is all (most of it) controlled out of Wilmington CETC Center. I have visited this one.

All of the New York Area towers, some of which were enormous, are now remotely controlled from New York Penn Station Control Center and New York CETC. I have visited those. Grand Central is controlled out of MNRR Control Center. Boston South Station out of Boston CETC.

In the West coast some of the famous towers were Mission in LA, Redondo, also in LA. Both are remotely controlled I am not sure out of where. Chicago Union Station is controlled out of CUSCC which is located in the Amtrak 14th St complex. I have been to this one.

Isn't Severn Jn. slated for conversion to CTC sometime soon?

I am not aware of any "stand alone" signal boxes that are converted to coffee bars, but it is not impossible. A lot of former station buildings now are re-purposed as cafes, restaurants etc. Many small stations are still open, but the buildings themselves are being used for other commercial uses. I imagine that the signal box at Severn Junction could not be used for any public use, as it's location is within live running lines on all sides.

I believe the box is due for modernisation at some point. The box is 3 storey high, and the lower levels house a mass of rods and wires that interlock manually to prevent conflicting movements happening by error. Very impressive sort of early computer.

One benefit of the manual boxes is that they don't suffer the same fate as Itarsi… ;)

Edit: Just as a matter of interest, the highest station in Scotland, Corrour, has guest accommodation in a former signal box on the platform!

Last edited:
Back