Worst Amtrak Station?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

bms

Lead Service Attendant
There's also a big difference between having a section of the original station and being relegated to the basement or a nearby building. In Kansas City, the Amtrak area is still in the original station and is accessed by walking through the main hall. Meanwhile, there are other stations such as Pittsburgh and Indianapolis where the original main station building is now used entirely for other purposes.
Pittsburgh and Cleveland stations both feel like passengers are being punished. For being close to the downtowns, they are both pretty well hidden too.

Pittsburgh's Greyhound station across the street isn't half bad, they should have made it into an intermodal station for Amtrak and Greyhound when they renovated it a decade or so ago.

zephyr17

Engineer
A lot of stations aren't even owned by Amtrak. "Leasing" space and putting up signage.
Outside the Northeast Corridor, I would say they own few of them.

I know for a fact that they don't own King Street in Seattle, that is owned by the City of Seattle. Portland is owned by the City of Portland. LA Union is owned by Metro. Many local stations are still owned by the railroads or the local communities with the tracks owned by the railroad. San Diego is owned by some local real estate company with the tracks owned by NCTD.

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant
I believe the worst Amtrak station I’ve been to or seen is NY-Penn. Now, I have not seen the new Train Hall so I can’t say it is STILL the worst. Penn was very filthy for many years; disgusting restrooms filled with homeless people, homeless wandering around the concourse, the Amtrak waiting room had curtains that had not been replaced or vacuumed seemingly since the 70s—among other things. The boarding process is simply too chaotic; I ALWAYS procure a RedCap.

Oreius

Lead Service Attendant
My parents don’t like Kissimmee or Tampa, though. They claim both stations are in “seedy” areas. However, these two stations are originals and provide an insight to the Golden Age of Rail Travel. Both stations are staffed and have security when open, so I did not feel unsafe.

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
I believe the worst Amtrak station I’ve been to or seen is NY-Penn. Now, I have not seen the new Train Hall so I can’t say it is STILL the worst. Penn was very filthy for many years; disgusting restrooms filled with homeless people, homeless wandering around the concourse, the Amtrak waiting room had curtains that had not been replaced or vacuumed seemingly since the 70s—among other things. The boarding process is simply too chaotic; I ALWAYS procure a RedCap.
Admittedly the Amslab at Borie was quite clean while it lasted and it had no toilets other than to walk out into the field and choose a suitable spot. :D

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
I don't know about that, Temple, FTW, Dallas are nice to name a few. Though, I still do not know why Amtrak had to leave Sunset station. What a shame.
Does Dallas have another Station besides Union Station, which has Amtrak stuck in the Basement like Pittsburgh, while Wolfgang Puck Catering uses the Grand Waiting Room upstairs??

MARC Rider

Engineer
Pittsburgh and Cleveland stations both feel like passengers are being punished. For being close to the downtowns, they are both pretty well hidden too.

Pittsburgh's Greyhound station across the street isn't half bad, they should have made it into an intermodal station for Amtrak and Greyhound when they renovated it a decade or so ago.
Pittsburgh Station

20210608_194815.jpg
Whoops, this is no longer used as the station. Here's the station:

20210609_043749.jpg
Note the classy lighting effects.

20210609_044038.jpg
A view of the inside. At least it's clean, lighted, and staffed. There is an escalator to the platform, but it's being rebuilt. There's also an elevator.

lizpackslight

Train Attendant
IMG_0725.jpg
Speaking of stations, we passed by McComb, MS a day or so after the fire last week. I understand they were able to save some of the railroad memorabilia, but the building is likely a total loss. Sad.

Admittedly the Amslab at Borie was quite clean while it lasted and it had no toilets other than to walk out into the field and choose a suitable spot. :D
The chartered Greyhound did have a restroom...and you were only on it for maybe 20 minutes, at most. If the SFZ was delayed, the bus stayed at the Cheyenne station, until the train got close...🤷‍♂️

jis

Engineer
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
The chartered Greyhound did have a restroom...and you were only on it for maybe 20 minutes, at most. If the SFZ was delayed, the bus stayed at the Cheyenne station, until the train got close...🤷‍♂️
You missed the laughing smiley apparently ;) The whole thing was a joke in response to someone complaining about NYP being the worst station :)

Willbridge

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporter
Speaking of buses, who remembers when the chartered Greyhound that shuttled passenger's between the Cheyenne station and the train stop at Borie, Wy. was the station? For quite a while. The station agent even rode the bus to handle the checked baggage.

One advantage...they did not have to make double stops on a long train...the bus took passengers to their assigned cars once the train was stopped.
Courtesy of my colleague, Jeff Dunning...

A-1181 Amtrak SFZephyr6 Borie WY 03Nov79k.jpg

A-1228 Amtrak SFZephyr6 Borie WY 26Jan80k.jpg