Worst Trackage on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
Generally speaking, the Northeast Corridor and Keystone Line (to Harrisburg) are higher-speed rail and are thus smooth. The roughest tracks I’ve been on are those the Adirondack runs on between Rouses Point and just south of St. Lambert. Are there any other Amtrak lines noted for less-than-ideal track conditions?

On the Chief a few months back going eastbound? I remember some really rough track overnight as I was trying to fall asleeep. It didn’t last more than an hour I don’t think, but it was pretty rough. I think it was somewhere in Kansas. And Raton and Glorieta Pass’s aren’t in great condition, there are several jointed rail sections. Although they aren’t terrible, seems like they’re better than the section you talked about

I don't know if they ever fixed it but the Empire Builder the first night out of Chicago had the roughest track I have ever ridden.

On the Chief a few months back going eastbound? I remember some really rough track overnight as I was trying to fall asleeep. It didn’t last more than an hour I don’t think, but it was pretty rough. I think it was somewhere in Kansas.

I agree wholeheartedly. I almost got knocked out of bed a few times on that trackage. It’s probably about the worst I’ve experienced.

I’d rate some spots on the western New York State portion of the LSL as pretty bad as well.

On the Chief a few months back going eastbound? I remember some really rough track overnight as I was trying to fall asleeep. It didn’t last more than an hour I don’t think, but it was pretty rough. I think it was somewhere in Kansas. And Raton and Glorieta Pass’s aren’t in great condition, there are several jointed rail sections. Although they aren’t terrible, seems like they’re better than the section you talked about
The Kansas section of the SWC is known for its roughness. I remember my first trip on the SWC, knowing this in advance, waking up and, after putting on my hearing aids, hearing the rattles and thinking "We're still in Kansas" :D

Generally speaking, the Northeast Corridor and Keystone Line (to Harrisburg) are higher-speed rail and are thus smooth.
There are areas on the NEC that are rough. Going into Baltimore and Wilmington are two I'm quite familiar with. And, of course, all the switches the trains use going in and out of WAS.

Based on the comments, there are a LOT of places on a LOT of routes with bad tracks. A few seem to be on Amtrak owned tracks but most, by far, are on freight tracks and we know how much they care about passenger service!

Once again, vote for me_little_me as emperor and dictator and I promise to arrest all the offending freight chiefs of maintenance and tie them to the underside of a train where their heads will bounce up and down against the steel underbodies of the cars. I won't even mention what will happen to the executives and board members. It's too horrible to contemplate. I do assure you that there will be a lot of changes at the top of these companies because of the number of vacancies.

Last edited:
Based on the comments, there are a LOT of places on a LOT of routes with bad tracks. A few seem to be on Amtrak owned tracks but most, by far, are on freight tracks and we know how much they care about passenger service!

Once again, vote for me_little_me as emperor and dictator and I promise to arrest all the offending freight chiefs of maintenance and tie them to the underside of a train where their heads will bounce up and down against the steel underbodies of the cars. I won't even mention what will happen to the executives and board members. It's too horrible to contemplate. I do assure you that there will be a lot of changes at the top of these companies because of the number of vacancies.
So Amtrak executives are subjected to flex meals, and freight executives are tied to the bottom of cars. Sounds good to me. Maybe let freight executives have flex dining too, maybe then they will let Amtrak have priority so passengers don't have to suffer with flex for as long!

When we use to service PHX - on the Sunset Limited…..the PHX sub and that jointed rail. And, the Cardinal in VA on the Buckingham Branch…….

Generally speaking, the Northeast Corridor and Keystone Line (to Harrisburg) are higher-speed rail and are thus smooth. The roughest tracks I’ve been on are those the Adirondack runs on between Rouses Point and just south of St. Lambert. Are there any other Amtrak lines noted for less-than-ideal track conditions?
Totally agree. It's very slow. Just when you're finished with the border check it's a lot of hurry up and wait.

There's the winner! Since this thread started I'd been trying to remember the name of the bad section of track on the Cardinal.
If you think BBRR is bad now, you should have tried it ten years back ;) 30mph territory between Orange and Gordonville, and it felt like you were going to go off the rails at 20mph ;)

Of all my travels the only one that stands out is the SWC in the central Kansas to eastern Colorado segment. It was rough!
\

If you think BBRR is bad now, you should have tried it ten years back ;) 30mph territory between Orange and Gordonville, and it felt like you were going to go off the rails at 20mph ;)
The only time I don't specifically remember bad track was a westbound from WAS in a Superliner (extra weight maybe?). The last time was Chicago to Manassas almost exactly 5 years ago. It was still "bouncy", for lack of a better term.

Back