worth it to go busines class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the way there? Only if you can get a really good price.

On the way home? Definitely. You get to use the Metropolitan Lounge, you get to board early, and you don't have to deal with the mad stampede before trying (and trying... and trying...) to find a seat.

Granted, I'm assuming you're going on a weekend. Sunday departures from Chicago back to Michigan are madness. If you're returning on Tues, Wed, or Thurs, then I'd stick with coach.

whats the lounge like?
It's pretty nice. It has air conditioning, wi-fi, free soda/lemonade/punch, snacks (Sara Lee coffee cake in the morning and Doritos, pretzels, and chips in the afternoon and evening), and free baggage storage.

They also have televisions, couches, and comfortable chairs, not to mention a nice, clean restroom.

There are outlets behind some of the couches and chairs, so it's a nice opportunity to charge your devices as well.

sweet. might be worth it.
I think it is, if the price is good. :) I tend to ride in BC as often as possible. It's really comfortable, and 99% of the time, it's completely quiet. The lights are dim too, which I love.

A few years ago I did an AGR Business Class redemption CHI-STL-KCY and since I stayed on the same train, they only billed me 1500 Points! It was worth every Point and then some, and even if I had paid Fare, it still would have been worth it. That 3 across Lazy Boy type seating is amazing. The only problem we had was some office-type bluthering loudly on his cell phone until the Conductor "gently" reminded him the next stop may be his :)

Whether to spring for business class is always an interesting call for me. On the NEC, business class isn't that much different from coach, except that there's more legroom, you get the free drink, and they (sometimes) preboard at WAS. On the other hand, sometimes coach is so crowded that, in my mind, the extra money is worth it to me, but sometimes it's not. For WAS-BAL, the upcharge is $15. I usually don't do it unless the coach bucket is at $33, which makes me suspect that the train is going to be a sardine-can express. In fact, I'm riding that way tomorrow evening, and I did last week, too. (For some reason, the trains out of DC have been busier than usual, it's been a few weeks since I've been able to get the low bucket, even on Monday.)

There are some deluxe club-style Business Class offerings in the Northeast: The overnight NPN-BOS #66/67 normally carries them, although lately, they've been using regular business class. I think I read here that they're using the 3-across club cars on the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited while they're doing work on the sleepers. I hope they bring them back, as I sometimes ride that train. Also, the Vermonter has the 3-across club seating.However, our next tip on the Vermonter will be coach, as the fare for two quoted for coach was $160, whereas for Business class, it was $350. And I thought the business class charge was supposed to be only $45. (The coach fares are value fares, not saver fares.) I'd be willing to $90 extra for 2, but not $200 extra, even for a 10 hour ride.

On the other hand, I have no problem with paying for business class on the Palmetto, even though the Palmetto offers Amfleet II seats in coach, so there's no legroom advantage. In this case, I get the advantage of a half-full car, which means I have both seats to myself (no guarantee, of course, but that's always been the case), and wi-fi (the Amfleet II cars don't have wifi, you have to go to the cafe car if you're sitting in coach.).

Alas, business class passengers don't get to use the Club Acelas in WAS, PHL, NYP, and BOS, but I was once in Raleigh waiting for the Carolinian with a business class ticket, and the agent opened up the lounge used by sleeping car passengers.

I didn't know the Metro lounge was for BC as well as Sleepers. I guess that's why it's not called Club Acela in Chicago (besides not having Acela service there). I don't think BC pax can use Club Acela. What about the Metro lounge at LAX? Can BC pax use it?

Anyway, I used to think BC was worth it. Last time I rode BC was on the Palmetto from NYC to SAV and it was full all the way from NYP to WAS. There were no "special" benefits. It was an AGR trip, so its value was a little more enjoyable in the South.

I didn't know the Metro lounge was for BC as well as Sleepers. I guess that's why it's not called Club Acela in Chicago (besides not having Acela service there). I don't think BC pax can use Club Acela. What about the Metro lounge at LAX? Can BC pax use it?

Anyway, I used to think BC was worth it. Last time I rode BC was on the Palmetto from NYC to SAV and it was full all the way from NYP to WAS. There were no "special" benefits. It was an AGR trip, so its value was a little more enjoyable in the South.
Yup, do it all the time. Its BC, Sleeper, and Select Plus and up. Same with the Metro Lounge in Portland.

The Chicago Met lounge started allowing BC pax about a year(?) ago (I'm probably way off, I have no sense of time). Relatively recently in any case, and definitely a change from the way it used to be.

Tyler: I agree with Sarah! The Michigan trains ( and all other Chicago trains) can be a zoo during certain times and days of the week, especially @ Union Station for those in Coach!

Last edited by a moderator:
it will be great feeling like 1st class for 5 hours each way.
Give you an extreme example. CHI <-> CDL ( 5 hour 30 min, not on the CONO ) cost you a maximum of $114 one way on Business Class. This can be redeemed for 2000 AGR points = 5.7 cents per AGR point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back