Would Viewliners like these be possible (Or even Useful)?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

railiner

Conductor
I’ll see if I can find a reference for that.
That would be interesting to me, as well...
Researching such info would seem to be difficult. I recall reading the "equipment and services" section of various timetables, and it was not always clear who operated parlor's and lounges. Sometimes there would be a reference: : "Pullman Operated", or "Railroad Operated", but not always....

JohannFarley

Service Attendant
So I just took out my Pennsy Car Plans Book from 1969 to get some further ideas, and I took a picture of several of the interesting designs I saw.
20200604_005312.jpg

Firstly, the 10-6 sleeper we are all used to, the basis for the regular sleeper:
20200604_005843.jpg

Then, the full roomette car that has been thrown around as an idea:
20200604_005823.jpg

Here is one of their Cafe cars with only half table seating.
20200604_005446.jpg

Here is a coffee shop car. Don't know how this would be relevant, just thought it was interesting.
20200604_005532.jpg

Here is a lounge-coach with a bar:
20200604_005649.jpg

Here is a special lounge with a nursery, game tables, a bar/buffet, a newsreel room, and a reading room:
20200604_005732.jpg

And here is a lounge-sleeper with a little buffet.
20200604_005756.jpg

railiner

Conductor
Yes...there was no shortage of interesting and innovative designs, in the "streamliner era".
That 'recreation car' with the nursery and newsreeel theater, It was used on the all-coach New York - St. Louis streamliner, "The Jeffersonian"...

Seaboard92

Conductor
Have these all been scrapped or did some go to a museum somewhere (if you know)?
Here is the disposition of all of the Milwaukee Road Skytops.

Pullman Standard (8 Double Bedroom/ Lounge)
No. 12 "Adler Creek" Scrapped 1977

No.14 " Arrow Creek" recently scrapped in the 2010s in Buffalo, NY

No. 15 "Coffee Creek" owned by Ed Ellis pending restoration. Knowing his finances this car will probably come available again soon.

No. 16 "Gold Creek" recently scrapped in the 2010s in Buffalo, NY

No. 17 "Marble Creek" Scrapped 1990s

No. 17 "Spanish Creek" Scrapped 1977

Milwaukee Road Built Cars (1 Drawing Room/ Parlor)

No. 186 "Cedar Rapids" currently owned by the "Friends of the 261" in Saint Paul, MN. The car is currently Amtrak certified and regularly used on excursions.

No. 187 "Coon Rapids" currently owned by John Larkin. It is currently stored inside the P&H Warehouse in Enscanaba, MI. Also in this warehouse are the only remaining Baldwin Shark diesels, a super dome, and more goodies from what I've been told. Do not try and access the rail yard or warehouse Mr. Larkin does not like railfans, and will not hesitate to call the police on you.

No. 188 "Dell Rapids" currently on display at the Daytona Beach Museum of Arts & Sciences Daytona Beach, FL.

No. 189 "Priest Rapids" Scrapped by the Milwaukee Road in 1970

If anyone is interested I'm cataloging all of the remaining Budd cars, American cars surviving in Mexico, Pullman cars, AC&F, CC&F, and St. Louis Car Company equipment around today. I would be happy to post a link in an appropriate place on AU if there is interest.

jiml

Conductor
Here is the disposition of all of the Milwaukee Road Skytops.

Pullman Standard (8 Double Bedroom/ Lounge)
No. 12 "Adler Creek" Scrapped 1977

No.14 " Arrow Creek" recently scrapped in the 2010s in Buffalo, NY

No. 15 "Coffee Creek" owned by Ed Ellis pending restoration. Knowing his finances this car will probably come available again soon.

No. 16 "Gold Creek" recently scrapped in the 2010s in Buffalo, NY

No. 17 "Marble Creek" Scrapped 1990s

No. 17 "Spanish Creek" Scrapped 1977

Milwaukee Road Built Cars (1 Drawing Room/ Parlor)

No. 186 "Cedar Rapids" currently owned by the "Friends of the 261" in Saint Paul, MN. The car is currently Amtrak certified and regularly used on excursions.

No. 187 "Coon Rapids" currently owned by John Larkin. It is currently stored inside the P&H Warehouse in Enscanaba, MI. Also in this warehouse are the only remaining Baldwin Shark diesels, a super dome, and more goodies from what I've been told. Do not try and access the rail yard or warehouse Mr. Larkin does not like railfans, and will not hesitate to call the police on you.

No. 188 "Dell Rapids" currently on display at the Daytona Beach Museum of Arts & Sciences Daytona Beach, FL.

No. 189 "Priest Rapids" Scrapped by the Milwaukee Road in 1970

If anyone is interested I'm cataloging all of the remaining Budd cars, American cars surviving in Mexico, Pullman cars, AC&F, CC&F, and St. Louis Car Company equipment around today. I would be happy to post a link in an appropriate place on AU if there is interest.
Great list. Do you know which of the ones you've listed were transferred to CN? And yes, I for one would be very interested in your list.

Seaboard92

Conductor
Great list. Do you know which of the ones you've listed were transferred to CN? And yes, I for one would be very interested in your list.
All of the Pullman-Standard cars were sold to CN, which would be No. 12-18. It should be noted too one of the Tip Top Tap Lounge's has been preserved in Peubla, Mexico.

Mailliw

Train Attendant
This design yields 36 of these lie flat seats vs. the sleeper car capacity of 30 seats (4 bedroom and one ADA room.) I'm not sure this slight increase in capacity will allow them to charge sufficiently reduced fares to make the lack of privacy attractive. Also, is the double sized restroom module large enough to contain an ADA compliant toilet?
As far as privacy is concerned couldn't you just extend the partitions up to the ceiling and have a sliding/accordion dour or curtain? Then you'd basically have a 21st century version of the Slumbercoach.

railiner

Conductor
There was an experimental, 'advanced' design open section Pullman car that did have something like that...sliding panels instead of the curtains...

TheCrescent

Train Attendant
A Viewliner sleeper-lounge or diner-lounge would be great. Most of the car could be sleeping car rooms or dining car tables/kitchen (if that's ever used again) and there could be a small seating area with comfortable chairs. Being in a room for 14 hours on the Crescent is better than being in coach on the Crescent, but a small space to lounge in and grab a drink would be great.

Mailliw

Train Attendant
Huh, apparently there is a Viewliner used for track inspections that looks like it could also make a nice observation lounge.

AMTK American View end 29 Chciago IL 8-13-2014 (2).jpg

railiner

Conductor
Huh, apparently there is a Viewliner used for track inspections that looks like it could also make a nice observation lounge.
Nice shot. I remember taking passengers down to that car, when it was numbered 2301, as one of the pair used as 'Executive Sleepers' on the Night Owl...:cool:

Seaboard92

Conductor

View attachment 17865
While it makes a good observation car albeit not as good as BNSF's made out of a full dome. There is one large problem with it, that it can not run in the middle of the consist, it's position is always fixed. You'll note even in the streamliner era several railroads had square end observations with diaphragms to allow passage between cars if it operated mid train. It was not uncommon for the Seaboard Silver Meteor to have two observations in one train, one a mid train car, and then a round end on the end. This allowed the Seaboard to split the train in Florida.

railiner

Conductor
Then there was the Reading "Crusader", which had a round end obs at each end of the five car streamliner, so it didn't have to be turned...:)