Would Viewliners like these be possible (Or even Useful)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but this is the US ... Even if there were bi-level cars with bi-level boarding so wheelchairs could load onto either level, thus allowing wheelchairs to access all "public" areas - there would be someone who would bring a lawsuit because the wheelchair cannot move from the lower level to the upper level (0r the upper to the lower) while the train is moving
I was thinking of diners and lounges being single level. Coaches could be single level, or they could be bi-level with one coach adjacent to the diner/lounge having several wheelchair accessible spaces.

We'll be darned lucky to see even current height Superliners in the next round of car orders for LD trains, is what I have been hearing from a few people in the know.

As an Easterner, I'm frankly comfortable with having single-levels everywhere so they can fit through the tight tunnels to NYC.

But for goodness' sake, Amtrak could still order some glasstop lounges! Just because you can't fit an extra-tall dome or Superliner-style car doesn't mean you cant have a cool lounge with windows all over. It's a worthwhile thing to do.

Advocates really should make a push for some single-level glasstop lounge/cafes. If you don't want to deal with the expensive curved glass, take something similar to a Viewliner II design with the upper windows, and add glass panels in the ceiling (retaining the beams between the ceiling and the walls).

The same crowd who pays up for train accommodations probably would prefer complete privacy (me). I wager I’m not the only one, especially in long distance. There is definitely a difference in feeling from an ULH flight to a LD train. Privacy matters, and if it doesn’t for some people, I probably wouldn’t wanna be seated near them anyways.

The only place I can imagine Delta one style working is the NEC, with a plausible LSL if that train ever gets its act together and shortens trip time.

On the subject of Viewliners, this whole thread continues to highlight the sad truth:
Amtrak desperately needs more sleepers and varied cars, and only ordering 25 VLII sleepers is a massively short-sighted move.
I too am not convinced of a large market for lie flat, business class type seating except maybe as you identify. Maybe the longer east coast routes like the Palmetto or Maple Leaf to make it kind of a parlor car offering.

Yeah. At the very least any long distance coach is going to need a 2nd non-ADA restroom. Back on topic; what's really needed is for a firm decision to be made what kind, if any, long distance network or overnight trains Amtrak is going to have. Then they can commission a study on what's needed for new sleeping cars (especially if bilevels are still worth it).
Congress already decided that in the most recent legislation. The current long distance network and a mandated study of the routes lost since Amtrak was established. So there are going to be long distance trains and Amtrak will need new equipment. They can skip the first part, and get down to determining what the new long distance fleet will look like.

We'll be darned lucky to see even current height Superliners in the next round of car orders for LD trains, is what I have been hearing from a few people in the know.
There are several problems with a new Superliner order. First, the industrial base to support it may not exist. Second, there are ADA challenges, though these are not insurmountable by any means. The third is the desire to perhaps have cars that could operate systemwide. I really don't know what is going on at Amtrak these days, and I am not sure they have the management team in place to move forward on these kind of things.

Back