Yeah, these airplanes are going to be a little late!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be an NTSB investigator, not FAA, and chances are NTSB might be out there anyway.

"I have determined that the cause of this plane crash is the fact that none of the aircraft involved seem to have any wings. Or engines. Or control surfaces."
Or paint.

I mean anyone with more than about an 8th grade education could tell you that these things didn't fall out of the sky because they weren't done yet.

Isn't that green tinted 'paint' actually a protective plastic film over the bare aluminum?

Isn't that green tinted 'paint' actually a protective plastic film over the bare aluminum?
Yep.
As for NTSB, if they are involved at all, and I can;t imagine why they'd be at this point, it would be the NTSB rail investigators, not air incident investigators.

All I know is, next time I'm in the market for a used 737, I'm going to check veeerrrryyy carefully for any high-water marks

on the fuselage. :excl:

You should do so even more carefully when you get your new 737, since these if used, would first go into new 737s before they become used 737s :p
Do I look like Grandpa moneybags to you??? I haven't been able to afford a new 737 ever since the stock market went south back

in '29.

My theory is these puppies are going to get many years of service shuttling kayakers back to their vehicles along the Clark Fork

River. Then, when the public has forgotten about "planeinthewatergate", Boeing will put these things on Craiglist for unsuspecting

budget carriers to snap up.

...and I just got an ad on Yahoo Finance for Amtrak Virginia. Why is this posted here? The ads appeared (for the first time that I can recall in a long time) when I looked up a story on the derailed planes on the financial page.

So that's where airplanes go to spawn!
Okay, I can't resist posting this any longer. It's been making the rounds for the last few days.

10501996_504220329679297_5623995549820762702_n.jpg

A lot. Unless that's a 787, and it's not, it's not that valuable. An equivalent length of, say, iPhones in double stack containers would likely be a bigger loss.
You need to pretend these are complete 737's, not just bare fuselages. This is going to set Boeing's delivery schedule back quite a bit, and it was already very strained. The lost revenue for Boeing is going to be more than just the value of those hulls.
No, it's not going to set Boeing's delivery schedule back quite a bit. Boeing has an order backlog of several THOUSAND 737s, and so these 5 will be barely noticed in the delivery system.
Really?

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/boeing-studying-impact-of-737-fuselage-derailment-401266/

A lot. Unless that's a 787, and it's not, it's not that valuable. An equivalent length of, say, iPhones in double stack containers would likely be a bigger loss.
But if a double stack of iphones fell into a river like that, I doubt they'd all be write-offs. They should be well padded in the packages. The only real problem would be the ones that got wet.

Besides which, do iPhones go by rail by the containerload at all? Wouldn't the risk of them getting stolen be far too large?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not going to set Boeing's delivery schedule back quite a bit. Boeing has an order backlog of several THOUSAND 737s, and so these 5 will be barely noticed in the delivery system.
Huh? How does the size of the order book affect delivery schedule delays caused by a break in the supply chain caused by a train derailment? Somehow that whole line of reasoning presented above does not make much sense to me. Yes one could argue whether it will be quite a bit or a little bit or what, but it is inconceivable that this disruption in supply chain will have no impact on delivery schedules. I am sure the customers who were destined to get planes built around these frames will be affected.

Huh? How does the size of the order book affect delivery schedule delays caused by a break in the supply chain caused by a train derailment? Somehow that whole line of reasoning presented above does not make much sense to me. Yes one could argue whether it will be quite a bit or a little bit or what, but it is inconceivable that this disruption in supply chain will have no impact on delivery schedules. I am sure the customers who were destined to get planes built around these frames will be affected.
Not just the customers but also the vendors. Boeing is a huge user of just in time supply chains which are now suddenly out of sync.

You should do so even more carefully when you get your new 737, since these if used, would first go into new 737s before they become used 737s :p
New or used, you should always run a carfa.....errr, make that a planefax report, before buying.... :lol:

A crew from Pacific Steel and Recycling in Missoula worked Thursday morning amid cranes, trains, planes and rain to dismantle what was left of the six blue-green Boeing 737 bodies.

Montana Rail Link crews did what they could to salvage the valuable flatcar carriers mangled when 19 cars skipped the tracks on a 93-degree day three weeks earlier and several miles above.

The damaged fuselages were loaded up after the wreck and moved to the nearest siding at Rivulet, where they've been sitting for the past couple of weeks.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Salvage-crews-dismantle-derailed-airplane-bodies-268655602.html

Report: July train derailment that destroyed 737 fuselages reveals likely cause
Early investigative reports suggest the summer derailment of a train that resulted in the destruction of six Boeing 737 fuselages may have been caused by track issues.

Several train cars derailed in Western Montana July 3 and fell into a nearby river. The train was carrying Boeing 737 fuselages from Spirit AeroSystems in Wichita, Kansas to Boeing's Renton plant for assembly. Six were destroyed in the accident. There were no injuries.

Part of the investigation required Montana Rail Link and Federal Railroad Administration to simulate the derailment.

Results of the simulations were inconclusive, said Jim Lewis, chief sales and marketing officer for MRL. But the simulations suggested the derailment may have been caused by issues with the track alignment.

The investigation also ruled out the possibility that slack or force between cars caused the derailment.

Back