Yesterdays Great Trip on the NE Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an experience on the NE regional train yesterday that I thought I'd share. Had occasion to go to DC for the day to see the Terracotta Warriors exhibit at the National Geographic Museum. The exhibit was good but that a discussion for another day.

We got on the NE regional at 30th Street station but the first thing that I noticed was that the engine said Acela on it. The consist was mainly coaches, business class cars and a cafe car. There was also an Acela leaving for Washington DC just a few minutes before us but we left on schedule at 9:35AM. The trip was smooth and fast and the Cafe car was well stocked with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. We pulled into Union Station at 11:20 AM which was 5 minutes ahead of schedule and it made the trip to within 5 minutes of the schedule of the Acela. Pretty good so far. We spent the day sightseeing, and dining in Georgetown and headed back to Union Station for the trip home. Again the train left on schedule at 10PM but the crew made an announcement that the business class car was also open to coach passengers so we decided to take them up on the free upgrade- slightly larger seats, window curtains but not much else. Cafe car was open for business at 10 PM and we purchased some beverages for the return trip. The trip seemed a bit slower getting back and we found out from the conductor that an engineer in training was in the engine that evening. A certified engineer was there as well. Again the trip was smooth and without problems. We arrived at 30th street station at midnight and it was a 2 hr trip. Still on schedule though. SInce severl station businesses stay opne all night we bought more coffee at the station at Dunkin Donuts (to keep awake while driving) went to our car at the modern new muliti-story Amtrak lot next to the station and arrived home around 1:30 AM. It was a great trip on a nice day and ended up being a very affordable day trip. Would would have preferred to take the Acela but the regional fare was $40 as opposed to $113 and we didn't see the great difference for three times the cost and virtually no savings in time but there are still those that will insist on taking the Acela

How can an Acela engine pull a NE Regional? I thought the equipment was specific to the Acela trainset.

OR

Why would an engine say Acela on it if it wan't an Acela?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back