Yet Another Guaranteed Connection Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DivMiler

Lead Service Attendant
I'm considering a trip from Harrisburg (HAR) to Hartford (HFD) on May 23, 2009 (Saturday). The earliest itinerary showing up shows a Keystone train leaving HAR at 7:20 a.m., arriving Philadelphia (PHL) at 9:09 a.m., and the Vermonter leaving PHL at 9:20 a.m. and arriving HFD at 2:08 p.m.

By definition, this is a guaranteed connection, because it shows up when I plug in HAR to HFD (it is not found through the multi-city search). However, to me, 11 minutes is cutting closer than close.

I could buy the ticket with money online and nobody would be the wiser unless the Keystone train is late. But, if I use 3000 AGR points to "buy" it, I have to do it over the phone because it involves a change of trains. Will the AGR agent allow me to do it, or likely to say that it is too short a time between trains?

Well yeah thats a little close I looked it up on Amtrak Delays Here is what i found

2009-05-10: Scheduled: 9:09 am Actual: 9:06 am Delay: -3 minutes
2009-05-09: Scheduled: 9:09 am Actual: 9:22 am Delay: 7 minutes
so that 7 minute delay would kill you there

On time performance on the Keystone and NEC is MUCH more reliable than on LD services outside of the corridors. Outside of the corridors, Amtrak.com has I think a 2 hour window requirement to guarantee connection. Looking at OTP for the Keystone over the last 5 days, the max lateness was 14 minutes followed by a single 11 minute late train. Other than those, I'm showing no more than 5 minutes late. I can only imagine that Saturday, carrying less of a commuter load, the OTP would be even better.

My guess is that when you call for AGR tickets, they'll book you no problem.

VentureForth is correct. OTP for the Keystone corridor is such that Amtrak can justify the guaranteed connection to the Vermonter. Since that Keystone is the first one out of the gate in Harrisburg, they'll hold the Vermonter for any connecting passengers who may be straggling behind on the odd occasion (like on the 9th) that Keystone is running late enough to affect them.

You're safe to book that ticket.

Maybe they could book you on the Keystone train all the way to NYP where it arrives at 10:48AM. The Vermonter doesn't leave NYP until 11:30AM thus giving you 50 minutes between the trains at that station.

Maybe they could book you on the Keystone train all the way to NYP where it arrives at 10:48AM. The Vermonter doesn't leave NYP until 11:30AM thus giving you 50 minutes between the trains at that station.
Cost is the same. AGR shouldn't have a problem with that. Never understood why Amtrak.com obligates you to change trains at a single point on a route - and generally one that doesn't make a lot of sense. Stay on one train for as long as possible then switch - especially if the one you start on has better amenities.

For instance, if I were to book from Savannah to BOS, it would have me transfer in DC as opposed to staying on the Palmetto all they way to NYP. Now, if I book separate itineraries, I could theoretically make it to DC, then hop on the Acela and make it to BOS almost 4 hours quicker. But that pesky guaranteed connection thing doesn't work with a 45 minute layover in DC.

But if I couldn't make Acela anyway, I'd rather stay in my Palmetto BC all the way up to NYP.

Thanks for all the replies and assurances. But will AGR do that (allow me to go to New York City to change)? I was under the impression that it wouldn't because the itinerary didn't show up in the regular schedule.

Thanks for all the replies and assurances. But will AGR do that (allow me to go to New York City to change)? I was under the impression that it wouldn't because the itinerary didn't show up in the regular schedule.
You can't because 660 only goes to PHL it does not continue to NYP and the Vermonter is the only train that would go to HFD with out a shuttle you can do this though if you want to go to New York

Picture%203.png

Take 664 to NYP then switch to regional 88 to new haven NHV and then on to a shuttle to HFD

Last edited by a moderator:
But will AGR do that (allow me to go to New York City to change)? I was under the impression that it wouldn't because the itinerary didn't show up in the regular schedule.
Hardly a day goes by that someone doesn't make a statement like that. Every time someone does I ask myself two questions:

1. What is your source (other AU posts do not count)? I can't find anything in the AGR T&C that states what constitutes a valid reward itinerary.

2. How can that be? For certain itineraries I have been looking at, the results from Amtrak.com's reservation page seem to be random. For example, I want to go CHI-SLO (San Luis Obispo) via PDX.

For Jan 16, I can do it. The saved reservation is shown here.

For Jan 15, no can do. The results are shown here.

However, if I try the "multi-city" option, I can do it. The saved reservation is shown here.

The obvious questions:

1. Is CHI-PDX-SLO valid on Jan 16, but not 15.

2. Or does a multi-city trip count as valid for the 15th as well?

3. What gives with the reservation system?

I've notices this phenomenon on other itineraries; but I was able to capture "proof" for this one.

I've asked both questions before; but no one seems to want to take up the challenge.

You can't because 660 only goes to PHL it does not continue to NYP and the Vermonter is the only train that would go to HFD with out a shuttle you can do this though if you want to go to New York

Picture%203.png

Take 664 to NYP then switch to regional 88 to new haven NHV and then on to a shuttle to HFD
Am I missing something? 660 shows as going to NYP on the PDF schedule on Amtrak.com.

Help me understand.

Am I missing something? 660 shows as going to NYP on the PDF schedule on Amtrak.com.
Help me understand.
Your right I was missing something I thought the green meant a connection to a regional I forgot that at PHL keystones switch from reserved to unreserved so yes 660 does run to NYP although it won't show the connection the Vermonter at NYP

2. How can that be? For certain itineraries I have been looking at, the results from Amtrak.com's reservation page seem to be random. For example, I want to go CHI-SLO (San Luis Obispo) via PDX.

However, if I try the "multi-city" option, I can do it. The saved reservation is shown here.

The obvious questions:

I've notices this phenomenon on other itineraries; but I was able to capture "proof" for this one.

I've asked both questions before; but no one seems to want to take up the challenge.
My guess is that you entered a departure time when you checked for the 15th, but either didn't or entered an earlier time for the 16th. The system is geared to give you the closest choices to the time you select. Changing the times, changes the options that are shown.

The obvious questions:

My guess is that you entered a departure time when you checked for the 15th, but either didn't or entered an earlier time for the 16th. The system is geared to give you the closest choices to the time you select. Changing the times, changes the options that are shown.
Whenever I enter a city pair, the default is always "anytime". However, I did try noon (EB leaves at 2:15PM), still no cigar. <_<

I just went an put in Jan 15, 2010 and it showed me Train #27 to #11. It was the last choice, but it was there.

slo.jpg

I just went an put in Jan 15, 2010 and it showed me Train #27 to #11. It was the last choice, but it was there.
Sure enough! I just got the same thing.

Now, the first few times I noticed the Monte Carlo type output, I attributed it to my hallucinating. But not after I saved the result page for 1/15 that didn't show the PDX routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back